- Volume 3 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
A Flexible Multi-Threshold Based Control of Server Power Mode for Handling Rapidly Changing Loads in an Energy Aware Server Cluster
에너지 절감형 서버 클러스터에서 급변하는 부하 처리를 위한 유연한 다중 임계치 기반의 서버 전원 모드 제어
- 안태준 (숭실대학교 소프트웨어특성화대학원) ;
- 조성철 (숭실대학교 전자공학과) ;
- 김석구 (숭실대학교 정보통신공학과) ;
- 천경호 (숭실대학교 정보통신공학과) ;
- 정규식 (숭실대학교 정보통신전자공학부)
- Received : 2014.02.28
- Accepted : 2014.08.30
- Published : 2014.09.30
Energy aware server cluster aims to reduce power consumption at maximum while keeping QoS(quality of service) as much as energy non-aware server cluster. In the existing methods of energy aware server cluster, they calculate the minimum number of active servers needed to handle current user requests and control server power mode in a fixed time interval to make only the needed servers ON. When loads change rapidly, QoS of the existing methods become degraded because they cannot increase the number of active servers so quickly. To solve this QoS problem, we classify load change situations into five types of rapid growth, growth, normal, decline, and rapid decline, and apply five different thresholds respectively in calculating the number of active servers. Also, we use a flexible scheme to adjust the above classification criterion for multi threshold, considering not only load change but also the remaining capacity of servers to handle user requests. We performed experiments with a cluster of 15 servers. A special benchmarking tool called SPECweb was used to generate load patterns with rapid change. Experimental results showed that QoS of the proposed method is improved up to the level of energy non-aware server cluster and power consumption is reduced up to about 50 percent, depending on the load pattern.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- SangHak Lee, SungJun Mun, JinHwan Kim, SangYong Shin, YongWon Seo, Young-Jin Choi, "The Establishment Method of Green Data Center in Public Sector", Journal of Korea Information Science Society, Vol.27 No.11, pp.48-57, 2009.
- Chenguang Liu, Jianzhong Huang, Qiang Cao, Shenggang Wan, Changsheng Xie, "Evaluating Energy and Performance for Server-Class Hardware Configurations", 6th IEEE International Conference on Networking, Architecture and Storage, 2011.
- J. Mair, K. Leung, Z. Huang, "Metrics and task scheduling policies for energy saving in multicore computers", 11th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Grid Computing (GRID), 2010.
- G. Chen et. al, "Energy-Aware Server Provisioning and Load Dispatching for Connection-Intensive Internet Services", NSDI'08 Proceedings of the 5th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, 2008.
- Hoyeon Kim, Chihwan Ham, Hukeun Kwak, Hulung Kwon, Youngjoung Kim, Kyusik Chung, "A Dynamic Server Power Mode Control for Saving Energy in a Server Cluster Environment", Journal of Korea Information Processing Society, Vol.19C, Issue.2, pp.135-144, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3745/KIPSTC.2012.19C.2.135
- Dongjun Kim, Hukeun Kwak, Hujung Kwon, Youngjong Kim, Kyusik Chung, "An Improved Estimation Model of Server Power Consumption for Saving Energy in a Server Cluster Environment", Journal of Korea Information Processing Society, Vol.19A, Issue.3, pp.139-146, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3745/KIPSTA.2012.19A.3.139
- Jae-won Choi, "The Server Power Control using Multi 임계치 in a Server Cluster Environment", Bachelor Thesis of School of Electronic Engineering, SoongSil Univ., 2012.
- LVS(Linux Virtual Server), http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org
- SPECweb, http://www.spec.org
- InternetTrendTM, http://internettrend.co.kr/
- Performance Improvement of an Energy Efficient Cluster Management Based on Autonomous Learning vol.4, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3745/KTCCS.2015.4.11.369