- Volume 12 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Mediating effects of self-efficacy in the relationships between academic burnout and school adjustment on middle school students
청소년의 학업소진과 학교적응의 관계에서 자기효능감의 매개효과
- Choi, Ok (Department of education, Chonnam National University) ;
- Lee, Woo Song (Department of education, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2014.06.21
- Accepted : 2014.09.20
- Published : 2014.09.28
The purpose of this study is to define the paths through which academic burnout and self-efficacy of middle school students affect school adjustment, verify the path model of each factor, and examine the mediator effects of self-efficacy. In line with this objective, the study conducted a survey on 713 third year students of 3 different middle schools in city G. The first finding of this study confirmed that the path coefficient and suitablility index were significant, indicating that the path model was also significant. Second, academic burnout had direct negative effects on self-efficacy and school adjustment, while self-efficacy has positive effects on school adjustment. Third, self-efficacy was confirmed to have meaningful mediator effects on academic burnout and school adjustment. Based on these findings, academic burnout caused by excessive demand for academic success on korean students has negative effects on school adjustment, but if self-efficacy is well developed as an individual factor, school maladjustment can be reduced. Thus this study confirmed that psychological factors, such as self-efficacy, are necessary in school adjustment. Future studies were suggested on the basis of this study's findings.
burnout;academic burnout;self-efficacy;school adjustment
- Lee, M., & Larson, R. (2000) The Korean 'Examination Hell'; Long Hours of Studying, Distress and Depression. Journal of youth and Adolescence, 29(2), 249-271 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005160717081
- Myung-Han Jo, Jung-O Kim, Seok-Man Gweon (1994). The Quality of Life as Perceived by the Youth. Social Science and Policy Research, 16(2), pp. 51-94
- Jung-Gyu Hwang (1990). The stress estimation and formation of Korean students . Journal of the college education, Seoul National University, 41
- Crosnoe, R., Elder, G. H. (2004). Family Dynamics, Supportive Relationships and Educational Resilience During Adolescence. Journal of family issues, 25(5), 22-34.
- Hyo-Hyun Lyu (2001). A study on the relationship among self-efficacy, learning motivation and school adjustment. (Unpublished master's thesis) Hong-ik University, Seoul, Korea
- Schunk, D. H.(1982). Effect of effort attributional feedback on children's perceived self-efficacy and achievement. Journal of Educational Psychologist, 74(4), 548-556. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06220.127.116.118
- Freudenberger, H. J.,(1974), Staff burnout. Journal of Socisl Issue, 3(1), 159-165.
- Pine, Aronson & Kafry, 1981). From tedium to personal growth. The Free Press. A division of MacMillan Publishing Co., Inc., N. Y.
- Salmera-Aro, K., Vouri, J. & Kovisto, P.(2007). Adolescents motivational orientations, school subject values, and well-being: A personal centered approach. Hellenic Journal of Psychology, 4, 310-330.
- Meier, S. F,, Schmeck, R. R.(1985). The burnout collage student: A descriptive profile. Journal of Collage Student Personnel, 26(1), 63-69.
- Schaufeli, W. B., Martinez, I., Marques-Pinto, A., Salanova, M., & Baker, A. B.,(2002). Burnout and engagement in university student: A crossnational study. Journal of Cross-Crutural Psychology, 33, 464-481 https://doi.org/10.1177/0022022102033005003
- Bresto, B., Salanova, M., & Schaufeli, W. B. (2007). In Search of the 'Third Dimention' of burnout: Efficacy? or Inefficacy?. International Association of Applied Psychology, 56(3), 460-478. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-0597.2007.00290.x
- Bandura, A. L. (1986). Social foundations of thought and action: A social cognitive theory. Englewood Cliffs, N. J.: Prentice Hall.
- Sherer, M., Maddux, J., Mercandante, B., Prentice-Dunn, S., Jacobs, B., & Rogers.(1983). The efficacy scale: Construction and Validation. Psychollogical Report, 51, 663-671
- Hye-Jin Jo, Ji-Yeon Lee, Jin-i Jang (2013). The Mediating Effects of Academic Self-Efficacy and Academic Failure Tolerance on the Relationship between Excessive Academic Demands and Academic burnout on Highschool Students. Korean Journal of Counselling, 14(2), 1471-1487.
- Yeon-Yeon Ma, Sung-Yeon Ueo, Jung-Hyun Kim, In-Gyung Jung(2013), The Mediating Effects of Academic Self-efficacy on the relationship between Academic Stress and Academic burnout on Chinese adolescent. Korean Home Economic Education Association 1, pp. 117-117
- Yang, H. J. (2004). Factors affecting student burnout and academic achievement in multiple enrollment programs in Taiwan's technical-vocational colleges. International Journal of educational Development, 41. 153-162.
- Spencer, M. B. (1999). Social and cultural influencd on school adjustment: The application of an identity-focused cultural ecological perspective. Educational Psychologist, 34, 43-57. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15326985ep3401_4
- Bierman, K. L. (1994). School adjustment. In R. J. Corsini (Ed), Encyclopedia of psychology. A Wiley-Interscience Publication, John Wiley & Sons