- Volume 12 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Case study on the user interface design based on the psychology of persuasion
설득의 심리에 근거한 사용자 인터페이스디자인 사례연구 -온라인 쇼핑몰을 중심으로-
- Park, Jinhee (Dept. of Media Design, Yong In University)
- 박진희 (용인대학교 미디어디자인학과)
- Received : 2014.07.19
- Accepted : 2014.09.20
- Published : 2014.09.28
The information processing capabilities of contemporary people have reached its limit as the daily life in an information society calls for prompt judgment and decisions while being overwhelmed with information. We no longer make optimal decisions after analyzing all necessary data and information and instead make automatic decisions based on just a handful of important information. Such a phenomenon can be observed not just in daily life but also on the internet. People believe they are making a rational choice when selecting and purchasing a product online, but in fact subconscious thoughts and behavior triggered immediately by certain parts of the brain without our knowing are what makes the decision. Therefore, this study seeks to investigate the cases of various UX designs where the persuasion method based on Cialdini's psychology of persuasion is applied and to suggest a direction for a more effective user interface design based on the findings.
psychology of persuasion;UX Design;Interface;Cialdini;Unconsciousness
Supported by : 용인대학교
- Fazio, Blascovich & Driscoll, D., On the Functional Value of Attitudes, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 18, pp388-401, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167292184002
- Festinger, L., A Theory of Cognitive Dissonance, Stanford: Stanford University Press. 1957
- Heider, F., Attitudes and Cognitive Organization, Journal of Psychology, 21, pp107-112, 1946. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.1946.9917275
- Newcomb, T., An Approach to the Study of Communicative Acts, Psychological Review, 60, pp339-404, 1953.
- Wilson, D. K., Purdon, S. E., & Wallston, K. A. Compliance to Heath Recommendations,. Health Education Research, 3, pp161-171, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/3.2.161
- Brehm, J. W., A Theory of Psychological Reactance, New York: Academic Press, 1966.
- Fromkin, H. L., & Brock, T. C., A Commodity Theory Analysis of Persuasion, Representative Research in Social Psychology, 2, pp47-57, 1971.
- Fuller, R.G., & Sheehy-Skeffington. A., Effects of Group Laughter on Responses to Humorous Material, Psychological Reports, 35, pp531, 1974. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19184.108.40.2061
- Festinger, L., A Theory of Social Comparison Processes. Human Relations, 7, pp117-140, 1954. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872675400700202
- Eagly. A. H, Ashmore, R. D., Markhijani, M. G. & Longo, L. C., What is Beautiful is Good and More Accurately Understood, Psychological Bulletin, 110(1), pp109-128, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.110.1.109
- Hamermesh, D. & Biddle, J. E., The American Economic Review, Vol.84, No.5, pp1174-1194, 1994.
- Evans, F. B., American Behavioral Scientists, 6(7), pp76-79, 1963. https://doi.org/10.1177/000276426300600922
- Grush, J. E., Impact of Candidate Expenditures, Regionality, and Prior Outcomes on the 1976 Democratic Presidential Primaries, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 38, pp337-347, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.117
- Milgram, S., Obedience to Authority, New York: Harper & Row, 1974.
- Gouldner, A. W., The Norm of Reciprocity: A Preliminary Statement, American Sociological Review, Vol. 25, pp161, 1960. https://doi.org/10.2307/2092623
- Lynn, M., & McCall, M., Beyond Gratitude and Gratuity. Unpublished Manuscript, Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration, Ithaca, NY, 1998.
- Gruner, S. J, Reward Good Consumers, Inc., p84, 1996.
- Festinger, L., When Prophecy Fails. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1956.
- Worchel, S., Lee, J. and Adewole, A., Effects of Supply and Demand on Ratings of Object Value. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 32(5), pp906-914, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1686
- De Vries, P., & Pruyn, A., Source Salience and the Persuasiveness of Peer Recommendations, Second International Conference on Persuasive Technology, New York: Springer, 2007.
- Gamberini, Embedded Persuasive Strategies to Obtain Visitor's Data, Second International Conference on Persuasive Technology, New York: Springer, 2007.
- McCombs & Zhu, Frame-changing in the Media Coverage of a School Shooting: The Rise of Columbine as a National Concern, The Social Science Journal, Vol. 46(1), pp164-170, 1995.