- Volume 12 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Inter-device Mutual authentication and Formal Verification in M2M Environment
M2M 환경에서 장치간 상호 인증 및 정형검증
- Bae, WooSik (Dept. of AIS Center, Ajou Motor College)
- 배우식 (아주자동차대학)
- Received : 2014.07.10
- Accepted : 2014.09.20
- Published : 2014.09.28
In line with the advanced wireless communication technology, M2M (Machine-to-Machine) communication has drawn attention in industry. M2M communication features are installed and operated in the fields where human accessibility is highly limited such as disaster, safety, construction, health and welfare, climate, environment, logistics, culture, defense, medical care, agriculture and stockbreeding. In M2M communication, machine replaces people for automatic communication and countermeasures as part of unmanned information management and machine operation. Wireless M2M inter-device communication is likely to be exposed to intruders' attacks, causing security issues, which warrants proper security measures including cross-authentication of whether devices are legitimate. Therefore, research on multiple security protocols has been conducted. The present study applied SessionKey, HashFunction and Nonce to address security issues in M2M communication and proposed a safe protocol with reinforced security properties. Notably, unlike most previous studies arguing for the security of certain protocols based on mathematical theorem proving, the present study used the formal verification with Casper/FDR to prove the safety of the proposed protocol. In short, the proposed protocol was found to be safe and secure.
M2M Security System;Authentication protocol;Casper;Security authentication;Model Checking
- J. S. Song, "M2M Standards and Technology Trends," TTA Journal, Vol.150, pp.84-89, 2013. 11.
- C. S. Pyo, "M2M Techonolgy and Its Standardization Trends, oneM2M 2013 Seoul International Conference, 2013. 06
- G. Wu, S. TalwReader, K. Johnsson, N. Himayat, and K. D. Johnson, "M2M: from mobile to embedded internet," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 36-43, 2011.
- Huy Hoang Ngo, XianpingWu, Phu Dung Le and Bala Srinivasan, "An individual and group authentication model for wireless network services," JCIT: Journal of Convergence Information Technology, vol.5, no.1, pp.82-94, 2010.
- ETSI, "Machine to Machine Communications (M2M); M2M functional architecture," ETSI, TS 102 690, DEC, 2011.
- K. Oh, T. Kim, and H. Kim, "Implementation of publickey-based key distribution in wireless sensor network," in Proc. KOSBE, , pp. 95-98, Seoul, Korea, Feb. 2008
- R. Hummen, J. H. Ziegeldorf, H. Shafagh, S. Raza, and K. Wehrle, "Towards viable certificate-based authentication for the Internet of Things," in Proc, ACM HotWiSec '13, pp. 37-42, Budapest, Hungary, Apr. 2013
- P. Kalyani and C. Chellappan, "Heterogeneous wireless moobile sensor network mobile based routing adapted to dynamic topology," European Journal of Scientific Research, vol. 50, no. 1, pp.143-150, 2011.
- G. Lowe. " Casper: A compiler for the analysis of security protocols." User Manual and Tutorial. Version 1.12 2009
- Oxford University Computing Laboratory. FDR2 User Manual, 19th October 2010
- oneM2M-TR-0003. " Analysis of Security Solutions for the oneM2M System." Technical Specification. 2014. 08
- C.A.R HoReadere. Communicating Sequential Processes. Prentice-Hall. 1985