- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Steaming, Blanching, and High Temperature/High Pressure Processing on the Amino Acid Contents of Commonly Consumed Korean Vegetables and Pulses
- Kim, Su-Yeon (Functional Food and Nutrition Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Bo-Min (Functional Food and Nutrition Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Jung-Bong (Functional Food and Nutrition Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Shanmugavelan, Poovan (Department of Chemistry, Kalasalingam University) ;
- Kim, Heon-Woong (Functional Food and Nutrition Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, So-Young (Functional Food and Nutrition Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Se-Na (Functional Food and Nutrition Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Cho, Young-Sook (Functional Food and Nutrition Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Choi, Han-Seok (Fermentation and Food Processing Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Park, Ki-Moon (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2014.05.28
- Accepted : 2014.08.28
- Published : 2014.09.30
In the present report, the effects of blanching, steaming, and high temperature/high pressure processing (HTHP) on the amino acid contents of commonly consumed Korean root vegetables, leaf vegetables, and pulses were evaluated using an Automatic Amino Acid Analyzer. The total amino acid content of the samples tested was between 3.38 g/100 g dry weight (DW) and 21.32 g/100 g DW in raw vegetables and between 29.36 g/100 g DW and 30.55 g/100 g DW in raw pulses. With HTHP, we observed significant decreases in the lysine and arginine contents of vegetables and the lysine, arginine, and cysteine contents of pulses. Moreover, the amino acid contents of blanched vegetables and steamed pulses were more similar than the amino acid contents of the HTHP vegetables and HTHP pulses. Interestingly, lysine, arginine, and cysteine were more sensitive to HTHP than the other amino acids. Partial Least Squares-Discriminate Analyses were also performed to discriminate the clusters and patterns of amino acids.
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science & Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Joint WHO/FAO/UNU Expert Consultation. 2007. Protein and amino acid requirements in human nutrition. World Health Organ Tech Reo Ser 935: 1-265.
- Leuchtenberger W, Huthmacher K, Drauz K. 2005. Biotechnological production of amino acids and derivatives: current status and prospects. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 69: 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-005-0155-y
- Adibi SA. 1976. Metabolism of branched-chain amino acids in altered nutrition. Metabolism 25: 1287-1302. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0026-0495(76)80012-1
- Lisiewska Z, Kmiecik W, Slupski J. 2007. Content of amino acids in raw and frozen broad beans (Vicia faba var. major) seeds at milk maturity stage, depending on the processing method. Food Chem 105: 1468-1473. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.05.027
- Song JY, An GH, Kim CJ. 2003. Color, texture, nutrient contents, and sensory values of vegetable soybeans [Glycine max (L.) Merrill] as affected by blanching. Food Chem 83: 69-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(03)00049-9
- Norden AG, Sharratt P, Cutillas PR, Cramer R, Gardner SC, Unwin RJ. 2004. Quantitative amino acid and proteomic analysis: very low excretion of polypeptides >750 Da in normal urine. Kidney international 66: 1994-2003. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1523-1755.2004.00970.x
- Moore S. 1963. On the determination of cystine as cysteic acid. J Biol Chem 238: 235-237.
- Horwitz W, Latimer GW. 2006. Official methods of analysis of AOAC international. 18th ed. AOAC International, Rockville, MD, USA.
- Young VR, Pellett PL. 1994. Plant proteins in relation to human protein and amino acid nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr 59: 1203S-1212S.
- Simpson RJ, Neuberger MR, Liu T. 1976. Complete amino acid analysis of proteins from a single hydrolysate. J Biol Chem 251: 1936-1940.
- Le Boucher J, Charret C, Coudray-Lucas C, Giboudeau J, Cynober L. 1997. Amino acid determination in biological fluids by automated ion-exchange chromatography: performance of Hitachi L-8500A. Clin Chem 43: 1421-1428.
- Qu Y, Slocum RH, Fu J, Rasmussen WE, Rector HD, Miller JB, Coldwell JG. 2001. Quantitative amino acid analysis using a Beckman system gold HPLC 126AA analyzer. Clinica Chimica Acta 312: 153-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-8981(01)00615-5
- Woo KL, Hwang QC, Kim HS. 1996. Determination of amino acids in the foods by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography with a new precolumn derivative, butylthiocarbamyl amino acid, compared to the conventional phenylthiocarbamyl derivatives and ion-exchange chromatography. J Chromatogr A 740: 31-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9673(96)00104-5
- Lisiewska Z, Kmiecik W, Korus A. 2008. The amino acid composition of kale (Brassica oleracea L. var. acephala), fresh and after culinary and technological processing. Food Chem 108: 642-648. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.11.030
- Civitelli R, Villareal D, Agnusdei D, Nardi P, Avioli L, Gennari C. 1992. Dietary L-lysine and calcium metabolism in humans. Nutrition 8: 400-405 .
- Perez-Enciso M, Tenenhaus M. 2003. Prediction of clinical outcome with microarray data: a partial least squares discriminant analysis (PLS-DA) approach. Hum genet 112: 581-592.
- Physiological response and sulfur metabolism of the V. dahliae-infected tomato plants in tomato/potato onion companion cropping vol.6, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1038/srep36445
- Thermal Stability Improvement of Rice Bran Albumin Protein Incorporated with Epigallocatechin Gallate vol.82, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.13609