- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Bioactive Compound Contents and Antioxidant Activity in Aronia (Aronia melanocarpa ) Leaves Collected at Different Growth Stages
- Thi, Nhuan Do (Department of Nutrition and Culinary Science, Hankyong National University) ;
- Hwang, Eun-Sun (Korean Foods Global Center, Hankyong National University)
- Received : 2014.04.28
- Accepted : 2014.07.08
- Published : 2014.09.30
The bioactive compounds and antioxidant activity of aronia leaves at different stages of maturity were identified and evaluated. Young and old leaves were approximately 2 months of age and 4 months of age, respectively. The young leaves contained more polyphenols and flavonoids than the old leaves. Three phenolic compounds (i.e., chlorogenic acid, p-coumaric acid, and rutin) were detected by HPLC. Antioxidant activity was measured using 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) radical, 2,2'-azino-bis(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulphonic acid) (ABTS) radical, and superoxide anion radical scavenging assays. The reducing power of aronia leaf extracts increased in a concentration-dependent manner (
- Kulling SE, Rawel HM. 2008. Chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa)-A review on the characteristic components and potential health effects. Planta Med 74: 1625-1634. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0028-1088306
- Sainova I, Pavlova V, Alexieva B, Vavrek I, Nikolova E, Valcheva-Kuzmanova S, Markova T, Krachanova M, Denev P. 2012. Chemoprotective, antioxidant and immunomodulatory in vitro effects of Aronia melanocarpa total extract on laboratory-cultivated normal and malignant cells. J Biosci Biotech SE/ONLINE: 35-43.
- Kim JH, Auger C, Kurita I, Anselm E, Rivoarilala LO, Lee HJ, Lee KW, Schini-Kerth VB. 2013. Aronia melanocarpa juice, a rich source of polyphenols, induces endothelium-dependent relaxations in porcine coronary arteries via the redox-sensitive activation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase. Nitric Oxide 35: 54-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.niox.2013.08.002
- Bermudez-Soto MJ, Tomas-Barberan FA, Garcia-Conesa MT. 2007. Stability of polyphenols in chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa) subjected to in vitro gastric and pancreatic digestion. Food Chem 102: 865-874. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.06.025
- Sharif T, Stambouli M, Burrus B, Emhemmed F, Dandache I, Auger C, Etienne-Selloum N, Schini-Kerth VB, Fuhrmann G. 2013. The polyphenolic-rich Aronia melanocarpa juice kills teratocarcinomal cancer stem-like cells, but not their differentiated counterparts. J Funct Foods 5: 1244-1252. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2013.04.007
- Malinowska J, Babicz K, Olas B, Stochmal A, Oleszek W. 2012. Aronia melanocarpa extract suppresses the biotoxicity of homocysteine and its metabolite on the hemostatic activity of fibrinogen and plasma. Nutrition 28: 793-798. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2011.10.012
- Chrubasik C, Li G, Chrubasik S. 2010. The clinical effectiveness of chokeberry: a systematic review. Phytother Res 24: 1107-1114.
- D'Alessandro LG, Vauchel P, Przybylski R, Chataigne G, Nikov I, Dimitrov K. 2013. Integrated process extractionadsorption for selective recovery of antioxidant phenolics from Aronia melanocarpa berries. Sep Purif Technol 120: 92-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2013.09.027
- Martini S, D'Addario C, Colacevich A, Focardi S, Borghini F, Santucci A, Figura N, Rossi C. 2009. Antimicrobial activity against Helicobacter pylori strains and antioxidant properties of blackberry leaves (Rubus ulmifolius) and isolated compounds. Int J Antimicrob Agents 34: 50-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2009.01.010
- Ljubuncic P, Portnaya I, Cogan U, Azaizeh H, Bomzon A. 2005. Antioxidant activity of Crataegus aronia aqueous extract used in traditional Arab medicine in Israel. J Ethnopharmacol 101: 153-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2005.04.024
- Lepedus H, Gaca V, Viljevac M, Kovac S, Fulgosi H, Simic D, Jurkovic V, Cesar V. 2011. Changes in photosynthetic performance and antioxidative strategies during maturation of Norway maple (Acer platanoides L.) leaves. Plant Physiol Biochem 49: 368-376. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plaphy.2010.12.011
- Woisky RG, Salatino A. 1998. Analysis of propolis: some parameters and procedures for chemical quality control. J Apic Res 37: 99-105. https://doi.org/10.1080/00218839.1998.11100961
- Bunchanan-Wolllaston V. 1997. The molecular biology of leaf senescence. J Exp Bot 48: 181-199. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/48.2.181
- Lichtenthaler HK, Buschmann C. 2001. Chlorophylls and carotenoids: measurement and characterization by UV-VIS spectroscopy. In Current Protocols in Food Analytical Chemistry (CPFA) spectroscopy. Lichtenthaler HK, ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA. Supplement 1, F4.3.1-F4.3.8.
- Zhou K, Su L, Yu L. 2004. Phytochemicals and antioxidant properties in wheat bran. J Agric Food Chem 52: 6108-6114. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf049214g
- Cheung LM, Cheung PCK, Ooi VEC. 2003. Antioxidant activity and total phenolics of edible mushroom extracts. Food Chem 81: 249-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(02)00419-3
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 26: 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Wang J, Yuan X, Jin Z, Tian Y, Song H. 2007. Free radical and reactive oxygen species scavenging activities of peanut skins extract. Food Chem 104: 242-250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.11.035
- Oyaizu M. 1986. Studies on products of browning reaction. Antioxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine. Jap J Nutr Diet 44: 307-315. https://doi.org/10.5264/eiyogakuzashi.44.307
- van den Berg H, Faulks R, Fernando Granado H, Hirschberg J, Olmedilla B, Sandmann G, Southon S, Stahl W. 2000. The potential for the improvement of carotenoid levels in foods and the likely systemic effects. J Sci Food Agric 80: 880-912. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(20000515)80:7<880::AID-JSFA646>3.0.CO;2-1
- Znidarcic D, Ban D, Sircelj H. 2011. Carotenoid and chlorophyll composition of commonly consumed leafy vegetables in Mediterranean countries. Food Chem 129: 1164-1168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.05.097
- Arashahi-Delouee S, Urooj A. 2007. Antioxidant properties of various solvent extracts of mulberry (Morus indica L.) leaves. Food Chem 102: 1233-1240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.07.013
- Loranty A, Rembialkowska E, Rosa EAS, Bennett RN. 2010. Identification, quantification and availability of carotenoids and chlorophylls in fruit, herb and medicinal teas. J Food Compos Anal 23: 432-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2010.01.007
- Li Y, Kong D, Huang R, Liang H, Xu C, Wu H. 2013. Variations in essential oil yields and compositions of Cinnamomum cassia leaves at different developmental stages. Ind Crop Prod 47: 92-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2013.02.031
- Iyawe HOT, Azih MC. 2011. Total phenolic contents and lipid peroxidation potentials of some tropical antimalarial plants. Eur J Med Plants 1: 33-39. https://doi.org/10.9734/EJMP/2011/171
- Klavsen SK, Madsen TV. 2008. Effect of leaf age on CAM activity in Littorella uniflora. Aquat Bot 89: 50-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquabot.2008.02.005
- Lee JE, Kim GS, Park SM, Kim YH, Kim MB, Lee WS, Jeong SW, Lee SJ, Jin JS, Shin SC. 2014. Determination of chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa) polyphenol components using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry: Overall contribution to antioxidant activity. Food Chem 146: 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.09.029
- Altiok E, Baycin D, Bayraktar O, Ulku S. 2008. Isolation of polyphenols from the extracts of olive leaves (Olea europaea L.) by adsorption on silk fibroin. Sep Purif Technol 62: 342-348. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2008.01.022
- Dugo P, Donato P, Cacciola F, Germano MP, Rapisarda A, Mondello L. 2009. Characterization of the polyphenolic fraction of Morus alba leaves extracts by HPLC coupled to a hybrid IT-TOF MS system. J Sep Sci 32: 3627-3634. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.200900348
- Ji X, Wei Y, Liu G, Chen H. 2013. Quantitative determination of polyphenols in tobacco leaves by HPLC. J Food Agric Environ 11: 868-870.
- Lee WC, Mahmud R, Pillai S, Perumal S, Ismail S. 2012. Antioxidant activities of essential oil of Psidium guajava L. leaves. APCBEE Procedia 2: 86-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcbee.2012.06.016
Fabiyi OA, Atolani O, Adeyemi OS, Olatunji GA. 2012. Antioxidant and cytotoxicity of
$\beta$-amyrin acetate fraction from Bridelia ferruginea leaves. Asian Pacific J Tropic Biomed 2: S981-S984. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2221-1691(13)60010-6
- Ahmed MF, Rao AS, Ahemad SR, Ibrahim M. 2012. Phytochemical studies and antioxidant activity of Melia azedarach Linn leaves by DPPH scavenging assay. Int J Pharm Appl 3: 271-276.
- Hou WC, Wu WC, Yang CY, Chen HJ, Liu SY, Lin YH. 2004. Antioxidant activities of methanolic and hot-water extracts from leaves of three cultivars of Mai-Men-Dong (Liriope spicata L.). Botanic Bull Acad Sinica 45: 285-290.
- Gawron-Gzella A, Dudek-Makuch M, Matlawska I. 2012. DPPH radical scavenging activity and phenolic compound content in different leaf extracts from selected blackberry species. Acta Biol Cracov Ser Bot 54: 32-38.
- Nor Qhairul Izzreen MN, Mohd Fadzelly AB. 2013. Phytochemicals and antioxidant properties of different parts of Camellia sinensis leaves from Sabah Tea Plantation in Sabah, Malaysia. Int Food Res J 20: 307-312.
- Adedapo AA, Jimoh FO, Afolayan AJ, Masika PJ. 2009. Antioxidant properties of the methanol extracts of the leaves and stems of Celtis africana. Rec Nat Prod 3: 23-31.
- Muruhan S, Selvaraj S, Viswanathan PK, Chandramohan G. 2013. In vitro antioxidant activities of Solanum surattense leaf extract. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 3: 28-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2221-1691(13)60019-2
- Baskar R, Rajeswari V, Kumar TS. 2006. In vitro antioxidant studies in leaves of Annona spieces. Indian J Exp Biol 45: 480-484.
- Fidrianny I, Windyaswari AS, Wirasutisna KR. 2013. Antioxidant capacities of various leaves extract from five colors varieties of sweet potatoes tubers using ABTS, DPPH assays and correlation with total flavonoid, phenolic, carotenoid content. Res J Med Plant 7: 130-140. https://doi.org/10.3923/rjmp.2013.130.140
- Chew KK, Ng SY, Thoo YY, Khoo MZ, Wan Aida WM, Ho CW. 2011. Effect of ethanol concentration, extraction time and extraction temperature on the recovery of phenolic compounds and antioxidant capacity of Centella asiatica extracts. Int Food Res J 18: 571-578.
- Phenolic Profile and Antioxidant Potential of Leaves from Selected Cotoneaster Medik. Species vol.21, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules21060688
- Comparative analysis of different groups of phenolic compounds in fruit and leaf extracts of Aronia sp.: A. melanocarpa, A. arbutifolia, and A. ×prunifolia and their antioxidant activities vol.243, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-017-2872-8
- Rapid differentiation of Khat (Catha edulis Vahl. Endl.) using single point and imaging vibrational spectroscopy vol.81, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vibspec.2015.10.005
- Chokeberries (Aronia melanocarpa) and Their Products as a Possible Means for the Prevention and Treatment of Noncommunicable Diseases and Unfavorable Health Effects Due to Exposure to Xenobiotics vol.15, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12221
- Bioactive compounds in hyperhydric and normal micropropagated shoots of Aronia melanocarpa (Michx.) Elliott vol.83, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2015.12.042
- Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activities of Yanggaeng with Aronia Leaf Powder vol.33, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2017.33.6.654
- Catechol derived from aronia juice through lactic acid bacteria fermentation inhibits breast cancer stem cell formation via modulation Stat3/IL-6 signaling pathway vol.57, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.22870
- Triterpene Acid (3-O-p-Coumaroyltormentic Acid) Isolated From Aronia Extracts Inhibits Breast Cancer Stem Cell Formation through Downregulation of c-Myc Protein vol.19, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19092528
- アロニアに含まれる黄色ブドウ球菌に対する増殖抑制成分の検索 vol.71, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4327/jsnfs.71.161
- vol.469, pp.1757-899X, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/469/1/012052
- vol.469, pp.1757-899X, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/469/1/012053