- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Anti-aging Potential of Extracts Prepared from Fruits and Medicinal Herbs Cultivated in the Gyeongnam Area of Korea
- Shon, Myung-Soo (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungnam University) ;
- Lee, Yunjeong (Department of Food and Nutrition, Kyungnam University) ;
- Song, Ji-Hye (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungnam University) ;
- Park, Taehyun (Division of Mechanical Engineering, Kyungnam University) ;
- Lee, Jun Kyoung (Division of Mechanical Engineering, Kyungnam University) ;
- Kim, Minju (R&D Division, Food & Nutrition Analysis Team, Hurom L.S. Co., Ltd.) ;
- Park, Eunju (Department of Food and Nutrition, Kyungnam University) ;
- Kim, Gyo-Nam (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungnam University)
- Received : 2014.06.23
- Accepted : 2014.08.21
- Published : 2014.09.30
Many recent studies have focused on maintaining a healthy life by preventing and/or postponing the aging process. Numerous studies have reported that continuous exposure to reactive oxygen species can stimulate skin aging and that excessive accumulation of fat can cause an impaired skin barrier and tissue structure alterations. Thus, the maintenance of antioxidant homeostasis and the suppression of adipose accumulation are important strategies for skin anti-aging. Here, we prepared three types of extracts [whole juice, acetone-perchloric acid (PCA), and ethanol] from 20 fruits and medicinal herbs native to the Gyeongnam area of Korea. The total phenolic content of each extract was analyzed, and we observed higher total phenolic contents in the medicinal herbs. Consistent with this, the results of the oxygen radical absorbance activity capacity assay indicated that the in vitro antioxidant activities of the medicinal herb extracts were stronger than those of the fruit extracts. The fruits and medicinal herbs had strong effects on cell-based systems, including
- Raj K, Chanu SI, Sarkar S. 2012. Decoding complexity of aging. Cell Dev Biol 1: e117.
- World Health Organization. 2012. Interesting facts about ageing. http://www.who.int/ageing/about/facts/en/ (accessed march 2012).
- Chung JH, Seo JY, Choi HR, Lee MK, Youn CS, Rhie GE, Cho KH, Kim KH, Park KC, Eun HC. 2001. Modulation of skin collagen metabolism in aged and photoaged human skin in vivo. J Invest Dermatol 117: 1218-1224. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0022-202x.2001.01544.x
- Yoon YM, Yoon JY, Lim KM, Hahn HJ, Kim YR, Ahn KJ, An SK. 2013. Effects of the complex containing Centella asiaticaand folic acid-fermented extracts, acetyl glutamine, and nicotinic acid adenine dinucleotide phosphate on the inhibition of senescence and melanogenesis, promotion of collagen expression, cellular regeneration, and keratinocyte differentiation, and anti-inflammation. Kor J Aesthet Cosmetol 11: 675-684.
- Yasui K, Sakurai H. 2000. Chemiluminescent detection and imaging of reactive oxygen species in live mouse skin exposed to UVA. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 269: 131-136. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.2000.2254
- Park JS. 2013. Walnut husk ethanol extract possess antioxidant activity and inhibitory effect of matrix metalloproteinase-1 expression induced by tumor necrosis factor alpha in human keratinocyte. Kor J Aesthet Cosmetol 11: 715-719.
- Kim DS, Jeon BK, Mun YJ, Kim YM, Lee YE, Woo WH. 2011. Effect of Dioscorea aimadoimo on anti-aging and skin moisture capacity. J Orient Physiol Pathol 25: 425-430.
- Mruka DD, Silvestrini B, Mo MY, Cheng CY. 2002. Antioxidant superoxide dismutase-a review: its function, regulation in the testis, and role in male fertility. Contraception 65: 305-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-7824(01)00320-1
Moini H, Packer L, Saris NEL. 2002. Antioxidant and prooxidant activities of
$\alpha$-lipoic acid and dihydrolipoic acid. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 182: 84-90. https://doi.org/10.1006/taap.2002.9437
- Decker EA. 1997. Phenolics: prooxidants or antioxidants? Nutr Rev 55: 396-398.
- Ntambi JM, Kim YC. 2000. Adipocyte differentiation and gene expression. J Nutr 130: 3122S-3126S.
- Park MY, Seo DW, Lee JY, Sung MK, Lee YM, Jang HH, Choi HY, Kim JH, Park DS. 2011. Effects of Panicum miliaceum L. extract on adipogenic transcription factors and fatty acid accumulation in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Nutr Res Pract 5: 192-197. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2011.5.3.192
- Yosipovitch G, DeVore A, Dawn A. 2007. Obesity and the skin: skin physiology and skin manifestations of obesity. J Am Acad Dermatol 56: 901-916. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2006.12.004
- Ahima RS. 2009. Connecting obesity, aging and diabetes. Nat Med 15: 996-997. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm0909-996
- Rossi ABR, Vergnanini AL. 2000. Cellulite: a review. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 14: 251-262. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1468-3083.2000.00016.x
- Avram MM. 2004. Cellulite: a review of its physiology and treatment. J Cosmet Laser Ther 6: 181-185. https://doi.org/10.1080/14764170410003057
- Cai Y, Luo Q, Sun M, Corke H. 2004. Antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds of 112 traditional Chinese medicinal plants associated with anticancer. Life Sci 74: 2157-2184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2003.09.047
- Kaur C, Kapoor HC. 2002. Anti-oxidant activity and total phenolic content of some Asian vegetables. Int J Food Sci Technol 37: 153-161. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2621.2002.00552.x
- Gutfinger T. 1981. Polyphenol in olive oils. J Am Oil Chem Soc 58: 966-968. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02659771
- Kim GN, Shin JG, Jang HD. 2009. Antioxidant and antidiabetic activity of Dangyuja (Citrus grandis Osbeck) extract treated with Aspergillus saitoi. Food Chem 117: 35-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.03.072
- Hekimi S, Lapointe J, Wen Y. 2011. Taking a “good” look at free radicals in the aging process. Trends Cell Biol 21: 569-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tcb.2011.06.008
- Kim JH, Kim MJ, Oh HK, Chang MJ, Kim SH. 2007. Seasonal variation of mineral nutrients in Korean common fruits and vegetables. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 17: 860-875.
- Yoon GA, Yeum KJ, Cho YS, Chen CYO, Tang GW, Blumberg JB, Russell RM, Yoon S, Lee-Kim YC. 2012. Carotenoids and total phenolic contents in plant foods commonly consumed in Korea. Nutr Res Pract 6: 481-490. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2012.6.6.481
- Tiwari P, Kumar B, Kaur M, Kaur G, Kaur H. 2011. Phytochemical screening and extraction: a review. Int Pharm Sci 1: 98-106.
- Simpson CL, Patel DM, Green KJ. 2011. Deconstructing the skin: cytoarchitectural determinants of epidermal morphogenesis. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 12: 565-580. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrm3175
- Farage MA, Miller KW, Elsner P, Maibach HI. 2008. Functional and physiological characteristics of the aging skin. Aging Clin Exp Res 20: 195-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03324769
- Brohem CA, Cardeal LB, Tiago M, Soengas MS, Barros SB, Maria-Engler SS. 2011. Artificial skin in perspective: concepts and applications. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res 24: 35-50. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1755-148X.2010.00786.x
- Cao G, Alessio HM, Cutler RG. 1993. Oxygen-radical absorbance capacity assay for antioxidants. Free Radic Biol Med 14: 303-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(93)90027-R
- Prior RL, Hoang H, Gu L, Wu X, Bacchiocca M, Howard L, Hampsch-Woodill M, Huang D, Ou B, Jacob R. 2003. Assays for hydrophilic and lipophilic antioxidant capacity (oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORACFL)) of plasma and other biological and food samples. J Agric Food Chem 51: 3273-3279. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0262256
- Akase T, Nagase T, Huang L, Ibuki A, Minematsu T, Nakagami G, Ohta Y, Shimada T, Aburada M, Sugama J, Sanada H. 2012. Aging-like skin changes induced by ultraviolet irradiation in an animal model of metabolic syndrome. Biol Res Nurs 14: 180-187. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099800411401013
- Potapovich AI, Kostyuk VA, Kostyuk TV, de Luca C, Korkina LG. 2013. Effects of pre- and post-treatment with plant polyphenols on human keratinocyte responses to solar UV. Inflamm Res 62: 773-780. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00011-013-0634-z
- Svobodova A, Zdarilova A, Vostalova J. 2009. Lonicera caerulea and Vaccinium myrtillus fruit polyphenols protect HaCaT keratinocytes against UVB-induced phototoxic stress and DNA damage. J Dermatol Sci 56: 196-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdermsci.2009.08.004
- Masaki H. 2010. Role of antioxidants in the skin: anti-aging effects. J Dermatol Sci 58: 85-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdermsci.2010.03.003
- Ezure T, Amano S. 2010. Increased subcutaneous adipose tissue impairs dermal function in diet-induced obese mice. Exp Dermatol 19: 878-882.
- Enser M, Avery NC. 1984. Mechanical and chemical properties of the skin and its collagen from lean and obesehyperglycaemic (ob/ob) mice. Diabetologia 27: 44-49.
- Anti-Adipogenic Effects of Ethanol Extracts Prepared from Selected Medicinal Herbs in 3T3-L1 Cells vol.21, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/pnf.2016.21.3.227
- Drosophila melanogaster “a potential model organism” for identification of pharmacological properties of plants/plant-derived components vol.89, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2017.03.001
- Poly herbal formulation with anti-elastase and anti-oxidant properties for skin anti-aging vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-018-2097-9