- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Short-Term Effects of Soft Pellets on Lipogenesis and Insulin Sensitivity in Rats
- Bae, Cho-Rong (Frontier Science Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, University of Miyazaki) ;
- Hasegawa, Kazuya (Frontier Science Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, University of Miyazaki) ;
- Akieda-Asai, Sayaka (Frontier Science Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, University of Miyazaki) ;
- Kawasaki, Yurie (Frontier Science Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, University of Miyazaki) ;
- Cha, Youn-Soo (Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Date, Yukari (Frontier Science Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, University of Miyazaki)
- 투고 : 2014.05.08
- 심사 : 2014.09.15
- 발행 : 2014.09.30
The purpose of the present study was to investigate the short-term effects of a 12-day, soft pellet (SP) diet with a 3-h restricted feeding schedule on caloric intake, body weight, lipid metabolism, and insulin sensitivity. Glucose and insulin levels were measured pre-, mid-, and post-feeding. The SP rats exhibited postprandial hyperglycemia compared to rats fed control pellets (CP). The insulin response of SP rats during a meal was significantly higher than that of CP rats. There were no significant differences in the hepatic triacylglycerol contents and lipogenesis gene mRNA levels of SP and CP rats. However, the hepatocytes of SP rats were slightly hypertrophic. In addition, histological analysis revealed that the pancreases of SP rats had more islet areas than those of CP rats. This study demonstrated that feeding an SP-only diet for 12 days induces glucose intolerance, suggesting that the consumption of absorbable food, like a soft diet, may trigger glucose metabolism insufficiency and lead to life-threatening diseases.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan
- Xu H, Barnes GT, Yang Q, Tan G, Yang D, Chou CJ, Sole J, Nichols A, Ross JS, Tartaglia LA, Chen H. 2003. Chronic inflammation in fat plays a crucial role in the development of obesity-related insulin resistance. J Clin Invest 112: 1821-1830. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI200319451
- Jung UJ, Choi MS. 2014. Obesity and its metabolic complications: the role of adipokines and the relationship between obesity, inflammation, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Int J Mol Sci 15: 6184-6223. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms15046184
- Tumer N, Robker RL. 2014. Developmental programming of obesity and insulin resistance: does mitochondrial dysfunction in oocytes play a role? Mol Hum Reprod doi: 10.1093/molehr/gau042. https://doi.org/10.1093/molehr/gau042
- Esser N, Legrand-Poels S, Piette J, Scheen AJ, Paquot N. 2014. Inflammation as a link between obesity, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 105: 141-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2014.04.006
- Oka K, Sakuarae A, Fujise T, Yoshimatsu H, Sakata T, Nakata M. 2003. Food texture differences affect energy metabolism in rats. J Dent Res 82: 491-494. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910308200617
- Barkeling B, Ekman S, Rossner S. 1992. Eating behaviour in obese and normal weight 11-year-old children. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 16: 355-360.
- Sasaki S, Katagiri A, Tsuji T, Shimoda T, Amano K. 2003. Self-reported rate of eating correlates with body mass index in 18-y-old Japanese women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27: 1405-1410. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802425
- Sugimori H, Yoshida K, Izuno T, Miyakawa M, Suka M, Sekine M, Yamagami T, Kagamimori S. 2004. Analysis of factors that influence body mass index from ages 3 to 6 years: a study based on the Toyama cohort study. Pediatr Int 46: 302-310. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-200x.2004.01895.x
- Morio S, Sugihara J, Okamoto N, Suyama A, Okamoto M, Nakayama H. 1996. Follow-up study of obese pupils and their life styles in the lower grades of primary schools. Nihon Koshu Eisei Zasshi 43: 238-245.
- Fujise T, Yoshimatsu H, Kurokawa M, Fukagawa K, Nakata M, Sakata T. 1993. Food consistency modulates eating volume and speed through brain histamine in rat. Brain Res Bull 32: 555-559. https://doi.org/10.1016/0361-9230(93)90307-W
- Koopman JP, Scholten PM, Roeleveld PC, Velthuizen YW, Beynen AC. 1989. Hardness of diet pellets and its influence on growth of pre-weaned and weaned mice. Z Versuchstierkd 32: 71-75.
- Hammer LD. 1992. The development of eating behavior in childhood. Pediatr Clin North Am 39: 379-394. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-3955(16)38334-1
- Bae CR, Hasegawa K, Akieda-Asai S, Kawasaki Y, Senba K, Cha YS, Date Y. 2014. Possible involvement of food texture in insulin resistance and energy metabolism in male rats. J Endocrinol 222: 61-72. https://doi.org/10.1530/JOE-13-0553
- Neschen S, Moore I, Regittnig W, Yu CL, Wang Y, Pypaert M, Petersen KF, Shulman GI. 2002. Contrasting effects of fish oil and safflower oil on hepatic peroxisomal and tissue lipid content. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 282: E395-E401. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpendo.00414.2001
- Nojima K, Ikegami H, Fujisawa T, Ueda H, Babaya N, Itoi-Babaya M, Yamaji K, Shibata M, Ogihara T. 2006. Food hardness as environmental factor in development of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 74: 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2006.03.031
Porat S, Weinberg-Corem N, Tornovsky-Babaey S, Schyr-Ben-Haroush R, Hija A, Stolovich-Rain M, Dadon D, Granot Z, Ben-Hur V, White P, Girard CA, Karni R, Kaestner KH, Ashcroft FM, Magnuson MA, Saada A, Grimsby J, Glaser B, Dor Y. 2011. Control of pancreatic
$\beta$cell regeneration by glucose metabolism. Cell Metab 13: 440-449. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmet.2011.02.012
Alonso LC, Yokoe T, Zhang P, Scott DK, Kim SK, O'Donnell CP, Garcia-Ocana A. 2007. Glucose infusion in mice: a new model to induce
$\beta$-cell replication. Diabetes 56: 1792-1801. https://doi.org/10.2337/db06-1513
- Chai SY, Pan XY, Song KX, Huang YY, Li F, Cheng XY, Qu S. 2014. Differential patterns of insulin secretion and sensitivity in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease versus patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus alone. Lipids Health Dis 13: 7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-511X-13-7
- Yan SL, Yang HT, Lee YJ, Lin CC, Chang MH, Yin MC. 2014. Asiatic acid ameliorates hepatic lipid accumulation and insulin resistance in mice consuming a high-fat diet. J Agric Food Chem 62: 4625-4631. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf501165z
- Bae CR, Kwon DY, Cha YS. 2014. Anti-obesity effects of traditional and standardized meju in high-fat diet-induced obese C57BL/6J mice. J Clin Biochem Nutr 54: 45-50. https://doi.org/10.3164/jcbn.13-52
- Clark A, Wells CA, Buley ID, Cruickshank JK, Vanhegan RI, Matthews DR, Cooper GJ, Holman RR, Turner RC. 1988. Islet amyloid, increased A-cells, reduced B-cells and exocrine fibrosis: quantitative changes in the pancreas in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Res 9: 151-159.
- Stefan Y, Orci L, Malaisse-Lagae F, Perrelet A, Patel Y, Unger RH. 1982. Quantitation of endocrine cell content in the pancreas of nondiabetic and diabetic humans. Diabetes 31: 694-700. https://doi.org/10.2337/diab.31.8.694
- Faster eating rates are associated with higher energy intakes during an ad libitum meal, higher BMI and greater adiposity among 4·5-year-old children: results from the Growing Up in Singapore Towards Healthy Outcomes (GUSTO) cohort vol.117, pp.07, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114517000848