- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Study of the Relationship between Labor time and Wage in Korea
국내 노동시간과 임금간의 관계 연구
- Jang, Yu-Mi (Division of Social Welfare, Changshin University)
- 장유미 (창신대학교 사회복지학과)
- Received : 2014.01.27
- Accepted : 2014.09.11
- Published : 2014.09.30
This study examined the relationship between income and the value of leisure to develop a more accurate model of the labor market without necessarily losing the primary merit of the received model. Moreover, with an improved understanding of the labor market dynamics, it can be seen that progressive era labor market legislation, which was designed to mitigate the effects of the bargaining power inequality in low wage labor markets, was in fact based on sensible economic foundations. These low-wage dynamics present an example of a positive feedback system or "vicious circle" at work in the economy. The market dynamics of the low wage sector push the wage away from the range that is consistent with a self-regulating market.
backward-bending labor supply curve;income effect;labor time;substitution effect;wage
- Bluestone, Barry, and Stephen Rose. "The Unmeasured Labor Force: The Growth in Work Hours." Public Policy Brief no. 39, Annandale-on-Hudson, N.Y.: The Jerome Levy Economics Institute, 1998.
- Brosnan, Peter, and Frank Wilkinson. "A National Statutory Minimum Wage and Economic Efficiency." pp. 1-48, Contributions to Political Economy 7, 1998.
- Card, David, and Alan B. Kruger. Myth and Measurement: The New Economics of the Minimum Wage. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 1995.
- Cater, Thomas J. "Policy in a Two-Sector Efficiency Wage Model: Substituting Good Jobs for Bad." pp. 445-461, Journal of Post Keynesian Economics 20, no. 3, Spring 1998. https://doi.org/10.1080/01603477.1998.11490163
- Commons, John, and John Andrews. Principles of Labor Legislation. New York: Harper & Brothers, 1916.
- Dessing, Maryke. "Implications for Minimum Wage Policies of an S-Shaped Labor Supply Curve." Manuscript in possession of author, International Center for Trade and Sustainable Development, Geneva, 1999.
- Gordon, David M. Fat and Mean: The Corporate Squeeze of Working Americans and Myth of Managerial "Downsizing." New York: Free Press, 1996.
- Katz, Michael L., and Harvey Rosen. Microeoconomics. Boston: Irwin, 1991.
- Kaufman, Bruce E. The Economics of Labor Markets. 4th. ed. New York: Dryden, 1994.
- Lester, Richard A. Economics of Labor. New York: Macmillan, 1941.
- Levine, Robert. A Geography of Time. New York: Basic Books, 1997.
- Mincer, Jacob. "Market Prices, Opportunity Costs, and Income Effects." In Measurement in Economics: Studies in Mathematical Economics and Econometrics in Memory of Yehuda Grunfeld. edited by Carl Christ, Milton Friedman, Leo Goodman, Zvi Griliches, Arnold Harberger, Nissan Liviatan, Jacob Mincer, Yair Mundlak, Marc Nerlove, Don Patinkin, Laster Telser and Henri Theil. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1963.
- Mishel, Lawrence, Jared Bernstein, and John Schmitt. The State of Working America 1998-1999. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1999.
- Power, Marilyn. "Parasitic-Industries Analysis and Arguments for a Living Wage for Women in the Early Twentieth-Century United States." Feminist Economics 5, pp. 161-78, March 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/135457099338210
- Prasch, Robert E. "In Defense of the Minimum Wage." Journal of Economic Issues 30, no. 2, pp. 391-397, June 1996.
- Prasch, Robert E. "The Overburdened Consumer: The Economics of Technological Change in the Service Sector." Working Paper, Department of Economics, Vassar College, 1997.
- Prasch, Robert E. "Complexity and Economic Method: An Istitutionalist Perspective." In Complexity and the History of Economic Thought, edited by David Colander. New York: Routledge, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4324/9780203436004
- Prasch, Robert E. "American Economists and Minimum Wage Legislation During the Progressive Era, 1912-1923." Journal of the History of Economic Thought 20, no. 2, pp. 161-175, June 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1053837200001838 https://doi.org/10.1017/S1053837200001838
- Prasch, Robert E. "Review of The Winner-Take-All Society, by Robert H. Frank and Philip J. Cook." Eastern Economic Journal 24, no. 2, pp. 244-246, Spring 1998.
- Prasch, Robert E. "American Economists in the Progressive Era on the Minimum Wage." Journal of Economic Perspective 13, no. 2, pp. 221-230, Spring 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1257/jep.13.2.221 https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.13.2.221
- Prasch, Robert E. "John Bates Clark's Defense of Mandatory Arbitration and Minimum Wage Legislation." Journal of the History of Economic Thought 22, no. 2, pp. 251-263, June 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10427710050025448 https://doi.org/10.1080/10427710050025448
- Prasch, Robert E., and Falguni A. Sheth. "The Economics and Ethics of Minimum Wage Legislation." Review of Social Economy 57, pp. 466-487, Winter 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/00346769900000017
- Schor, Juliet B. The Overworked American: The Unexpected Decline of Leisure. New York: Basic books, 1992.
- Taylor, John B. Economics. 2d. ed. New York: Houghton Mifflin, 1998.
- Yu Bae, Kim. Labor Economics. 2d. ed. Seoul: PakYoungSa, 2006.