- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The effect of various assisted hatching techniques on the mouse early embryo development
- Park, Sung Baek (Fertility Clinic, Mirae Ladies Hospital) ;
- Kim, Hye Jin (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chungnam National Hospital) ;
- Choi, Young Bae (Fertility Clinic, Mirae Ladies Hospital) ;
- Ahn, Kwang Hwa (Fertility Clinic, Mirae Ladies Hospital) ;
- Lee, Kee Hwan (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chungnam National Hospital) ;
- Yang, Jung Bo (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chungnam National Hospital) ;
- Yu, Chang Seok (Department of Animal Resources, Daegu University) ;
- Seo, Byoung Boo (Department of Animal Resources, Daegu University)
- Received : 2014.03.04
- Accepted : 2014.04.14
- Published : 2014.06.30
Objective: In search of an ideal method of assisted hatching (AH), we compared the effects of conventional micropipette-AH and laser-AH on the blastocyst formation rate (BFR) and blastocyst cell numbers. Methods: Four-to five-week-old ICR female mice were paired with male mice after superovulation using Pregnant mare's serum gonadotropin (PMSG) and hCG. The two-cell embryos were flushed from the oviducts of female mice. The retrieved two-cell embryos underwent one of five AH procedures: single mechanical assisted hatching (sMAH); cross mechanical assisted hatching (cMAH); single laser assisted hatching (sLAH); quarter laser assisted hatching (qLAH); and quarter laser zona thinning assisted hatching (qLZT-AH). After 72 hours incubation, double immunofluorescence staining was performed. Results: Following a 72 hours incubation, a higher hatching BFR was observed in the control, sMAH, cMAH, and sLAH groups, compared to those in the qLAH and qLZT-AH groups (p<0.05). The hatched BFR was significantly higher in the qLAH and qLZT-AH groups than in the others (p<0.05 for each group). The inner cell mass (ICM) was higher in the control and sMAH group (p<0.05). The trophectoderm cell number was higher in the cMAH and qLAH groups (p<0.05). Conclusion: Our results showed that the hatched BFR was higher in groups exposed the the qLAH and qLZT-AH methods compared to groups exposed to other AH methods. In the qLAH group, although the total cell number was significantly higher than in controls, the ICM ratio was significantly lower in than controls.
- Palermo G, Joris H, Devroey P, Van Steirteghem AC. Pregnancies after intracytoplasmic injection of single spermatozoon into an oocyte. Lancet 1992;340:17-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(92)92425-F
- Cohen J, Malter H, Fehilly C, Wright G, Elsner C, Kort H, et al. Implantation of embryos after partial opening of oocyte zona pellucida to facilitate sperm penetration. Lancet 1988;2:162.
- Ng SC, Bongso A, Ratnam SS, Sathananthan H, Chan CL, Wong PC, et al. Pregnancy after transfer of sperm under zona. Lancet 1988;2:790.
- Handyside AH, Kontogianni EH, Hardy K, Winston RM. Pregnancies from biopsied human preimplantation embryos sexed by Y-specific DNA amplification. Nature 1990;344:768-70. https://doi.org/10.1038/344768a0
- Cohen J, Elsner C, Kort H, Malter H, Massey J, Mayer MP, et al. Impairment of the hatching process following IVF in the human and improvement of implantation by assisting hatching using micromanipulation. Hum Reprod 1990;5:7-13.
- Wassarman PM. Mouse gamete adhesion molecules. Biol Reprod 1992;46:186-91. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod46.2.186
- Gwatkin R. Fertilization mechanisms in man and mammals. New York: Plenum Press; 1997.
- Singh EL. The disease control potential of embryos. Theriogenology 1987;27:9-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(87)90066-5
- Garrisi GJ, Talansky BE, Grunfeld L, Sapira V, Navot D, Gordon JW. Clinical evaluation of three approaches to micromanipulation-assisted fertilization. Fertil Steril 1990;54:671-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-0282(16)53828-X
- Hellebaut S, De Sutter P, Dozortsev D, Onghena A, Qian C, Dhont M. Does assisted hatching improve implantation rates after in vitro fertilization or intracytoplasmic sperm injection in all patients? A prospective randomized study. J Assist Reprod Genet 1996;13:19-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02068864
- Cohen J, Alikani M, Trowbridge J, Rosenwaks Z. Implantation enhancement by selective assisted hatching using zona drilling of human embryos with poor prognosis. Hum Reprod 1992;7:685-91. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.humrep.a137720
- Hsieh Y, Tsai H, Chang C, Lo H. Cryopreservation of human spermatozoa within human or mouse empty zona pellucidae. Fertil Steril 2000;73:694-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-0282(99)00612-3
- Stein A, Rufas O, Amit S, Avrech O, Pinkas H, Ovadia J, et al. Assisted hatching by partial zona dissection of human pre-embryos in patients with recurrent implantation failure after in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril 1995;63:838-41.
- Khalifa EA, Tucker MJ, Hunt P. Cruciate thinning of the zona pellucida for more successful enhancement of blastocyst hatching in the mouse. Hum Reprod 1992;7:532-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.humrep.a137685
- Lanzendorf SE, Ratts VS, Moley KH, Goldstein JS, Dahan MH, Odem RR. A randomized, prospective study comparing laser-assisted hatching and assisted hatching using acidified medium. Fertil Steril 2007;87:1450-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2006.11.030
- Makrakis E, Angeli I, Agapitou K, Pappas K, Dafereras A, Pantos K. Laser versus mechanical assisted hatching: a prospective study of clinical outcomes. Fertil Steril 2006;86:1596-600. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2006.05.031
- Cieslak J, Ivakhnenko V, Wolf G, Sheleg S, Verlinsky Y. Three-dimensional partial zona dissection for preimplantation genetic diagnosis and assisted hatching. Fertil Steril 1999;71:308-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-0282(98)00452-X
- Malter HE, Cohen J. Blastocyst formation and hatching in vitro following zona drilling of mouse and human embryos. Gamete Res 1989;24:67-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrd.1120240110
- Strohmer H, Feichtinger W. Successful clinical application of laser for micromanipulation in an in vitro fertilization program. Fertil Steril 1992;58:212-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-0282(16)55166-8
- Ghobara TS, Cahill DJ, Ford WC, Collyer HM, Wilson PE, Al-Nuaim L, et al. Effects of assisted hatching method and age on implantation rates of IVF and ICSI. Reprod Biomed Online 2006;13:261-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1472-6483(10)60624-4
- Petersen CG, Mauri AL, Baruffi RL, Oliveira JB, Massaro FC, Elder K, et al. Implantation failures: success of assisted hatching with quarter- laser zona thinning. Reprod Biomed Online 2005;10:224-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1472-6483(10)60944-3
- Park KS, Park SB, Lee TH, Chun SS, Song HB. Effects of exposure of propidium iodide and bisbenzimide on differential staining of mouse blastocysts. Korean J Fertil Steril 2002;29:317-22.
- Schiewe MC, Hazeleger NL, Sclimenti C, Balmaceda JP. Physiological characterization of blastocyst hatching mechanisms by use of a mouse antihatching model. Fertil Steril 1995;63:288-94.
- Hsieh YY, Huang CC, Cheng TC, Chang CC, Tsai HD, Lee MS. Laser-assisted hatching of embryos is better than the chemical method for enhancing the pregnancy rate in women with advanced age. Fertil Steril 2002;78:179-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-0282(02)03172-2
- Ali J, Rahbar S, Burjaq H, Sultan AM, Al Flamerzi M, Shahata MA. Routine laser assisted hatching results in significantly increased clincal pregnancies. J Assist Reprod Genet 2003;20:177-81. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023665909123
- Iwasaki S, Yoshiba N, Ushijima H, Watanabe S, Nakahara T. Morphology and proportion of inner cell mass of bovine blastocysts fertilized in vitro and in vivo. J Reprod Fertil 1990;90:279-84. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0900279
- Thouas GA, Korfiatis NA, French AJ, Jones GM, Trounson AO. Simplified technique for differential staining of inner cell mass and trophectoderm cells of mouse and bovine blastocysts. Reprod Biomed Online 2001;3:25-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1472-6483(10)61960-8
- Park SB, Kim JC, Park KS, Lee TH, Chun SS, Song HB. Effects of glucose on blastocyst formation and their cell numbers of mouse embryos. Korean J Obstet Gynecol 2004;47:663-9.
- Park SB, Park KS, Lee TH, Chun SS, Kim KS, Song HB. Effect of various addition and exclusion time of glucose on development of mouse tow-cell embryos. Reprod Dev Biol 2004;28:227-33.
- al-Nuaim LA, Jenkins JM. Assisted hatching in assisted reproduction. BJOG 2002;109:856-62. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2002.t01-1-01005.x
- Richter KS, Harris DC, Daneshmand ST, Shapiro BS. Quantitative grading of a human blastocyst: optimal inner cell mass size and shape. Fertil Steril 2001;76:1157-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-0282(01)02870-9
- Lane M, Gardner DK. Differential regulation of mouse embryo development and viability by amino acids. J Reprod Fertil 1997;109:153-64. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.1090153