- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Study on Equilibrium, Kinetic and Thermodynamic for Adsorption of Coomassi Brilliant Blue G Using Activated Carbon
입상 활성탄에 의한 Coomassi Brilliant Blue G의 흡착에 대한 평형, 동력학 및 열역학에 관한 연구
- Lee, Jong-Jib (School of Chemical Engineering, Kongju National University)
- 이종집 (공주대학교 화학공학부)
- Received : 2014.07.14
- Accepted : 2014.09.17
- Published : 2014.09.30
Batch adsorption studies were carried out for equilibrium, kinetics and thermodynamic parameters for adsorption of coomassi brilliant blue G (CBBG) using activated carbon with varying the operating variables like initial concentration, contact time and temperature. Equilibrium adsorption data were fitted into Langmuir, Freundlich and Dubinin-Radushkevich isotherms. From estimated separation factor of Langmuir and Freundlich, this process could be employed as effective treatment for removal of CBBG. Also from Dubinin-Radushkevich isotherm model, adsorption energy (E) indicated adsorption process is physical adsorption. From kinetic experiments, the adsorption reaction was found to confirm to the pseudo second order model with good correlation. Intraparticle diffusion was rate controlling step. Thermodynamic parameters like change of free energy, enthalpy, and entropy were also calculated to predict the nature of adsorption. The change of enthalpy (406.12 kJ/mol) indicated endothermic nature of the adsorption process. The change of entropy (1.66 kJ/mol K) showed increasing disorder in process. The change of free energy found that the spontaneity of process increased with increasing adsorption temperature.
- Sun, Q., and Yang, L., "The Adsorption of Basic Dyes from Aqueous Solution on Modified Peat-Resin Particle," Water Res., 37, 535-1544 (2003).
- Kadirvelu, K., Kavipriya, M., Karthika, C., Radhika, M., Vennilamani, N., and Pattabhi, S., "Utillization of Various Agricultural Wastes for Activated Carbon Preparation and Application for the Removal of Dyes and Metal Ions from Aqeous Solutions," Bioresour. Technol., 87(1), 129-132 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(02)00201-8
- Ho, Y. S., and McKay, G., "Sorption of Dyes and Copper Ions onto Biosorbents," Process Biochem., 38(7), 1047-1061 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-9592(02)00239-X
- Gupta, V. K., and Ali, I., "Removal of Endosulfan and Methoxychlor from Water on Carbon Slurry," Environ. Sci. Technol., 42, 766-770 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1021/es7025032
- Lu, X., Li, D., Huang, Y., and Zhang, Y., "Application of a Modified Coomassie Brilliant Blue Protein Assay in the Study of Protein Adsorption on Carbon Thin Films," Surf. Coat. Technol., 201, 6843-6846 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2006.09.019
- Ketelsen, H., and Windel, S. M., "Adsorption of Brilliant Blue FCF by Soils," Geoderma, 90, 131-145 (1999) https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-7061(98)00119-0
- Gupta, V. K., Mittal, A., Krishnan, L., and Mittal, J., "Adsorption Treatment and Recovery of the Hazardous Dye, Brilliant Blue FCF, over Bottom Ash and De-Oiled Soya : Bottom Ash and De-Oiled Soya," J. Coll. Interf. Sci.. 293, 16-26 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2005.06.021
- Wu, Z., Joo, H., and Lee, K., "Kinetics and Thermodynamics of the Organic Dye Adsorption on the Mesoporous Hybrid Xerogel," Chem. Eng. J., 112, 227-236 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2005.07.011
- Bangash, F. K., and Alam, S., "Adsorption of Brilliant Blue R on Biotic Precursor Based Carbon," J. Chem. Soc. Pak., 29(5), 401-414 (2007).
- Xing, ,G., Liu, S., Xu, Q., and Liu, Q., "Preparation and Adsorption Behavior for Brilliant Blue X-BR of the Cost-Effective Cationic Starch Intercalated Clay Composite Matrix," Carbohyd. Polym., 87, 1447-1452 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2011.09.038
- Lu, F. C., Lavallee, A., "The Acute Toxicity of Some Synthetic Colours Used in Drugs and Foods," Canad. Pharm. J., 97, 30-38 (1964)
- Lee, J. J., and Lee C. Y., "Removal of Quinoline Yellow by Granular Activated Carbon," Clean Technol., 16(3), 206-212 (2010).
- Weber, T. W., and Chakrabarti, R. K., "Pore and Solid Diffusion Kinetics in Fixed Bed Adsorption under Constant Pattern Conditions," Ind. Chem. Eng. Fund., 5, 212-223 (1996).
- Tan, I. A. W, Ahmad, A. L., and Hameed, B. H., "Adsorption of Basic Dye on High-Surface-Area Activated Carbon Prepared from Coconut Husk," J. Hazard. Mater., 154, 337-346 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.10.031
- Monika, J., Garg, V., and Kadirvelu. K., "Chromium (VI) Removal from Aqueous Solution, Using Sunflower Stem Waste," J. Hazard. Mater., 162, 365-372 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.05.048
- Lee, J. J., "Study on Equilibrium, Kinetic and Thermodynamic for Adsorption of Quinoline Yellow by Granular Activated Carbon," Clean Technol.. 20(1), 35-41(2014). https://doi.org/10.7464/ksct.2014.20.1.035
Grecel, O., Ozcan, A., Ozcan, A. S., and Grecel, H. F., "Preparation of Activated Carbon from a Renewable Bio-Plant of Euphorbia Rigidia by
$H_2SO_4$Activation and Its Adsorption Behavior in Aqueous Solutions," Appl. Surf. Sci., 253, 4843-4852 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2006.10.053
- Nethaji, S., Sivasamy, A., Thennarasu, G., and Saravanan, S., "Adsorption of Malachite Green Dye onto Activated Carbon Derived from Borassus Aethiopum Flower Biomass," J. Hazard. Mater., 181, 271-280 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.05.008
- Onal, Y., BaSar, C. A.. Eren, D., Onalzdemir, C. S., and Depci, T., "Adsorption Kinetics of Malachite Green onto Activated Carbon Prepared from Tuncbilek Lignite," J. Hazard. Mater. B128, 150-157 (2006).
- Jaycock, M. J., and Parfitt, G. D., "Chemistry of Interfaces," Ellis Horwood Ltd., Chichester(1981).
- Sulak, M. T., Demirbas, E., and Kobya, M., "Removal of Astrazon Yellow 7GL from Aqueous Solutions by Adsorption onto Wheat Bran," Biores. Technol., 98, 2590-2598 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.09.010
- Mittal, A., "Use of Hen Feathers as Potential Adsorbent for the Removal of a Hazardous Dye, Brilliant Blue FCF, from wastewater," J. Hazard. Mater., B128, 233-239 (2006).
- Janaki, V., Vijayaraghavan, K., Ramasamy, A. K., Lee, K. J., Oh, B. T., and Kanan, S. K., "Competitive Adsorption of Reactive Orange 16 and Reactive Brilliant Blue R on Polyaniline/Bacterial Extracellular Polysaccharides Composite-A Novel Eco-Friendly Polymer," J. Hazard. Mater., 241-242, 110-117 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2012.09.019
- Lee, J. J., "Study on Adsorption Kinetic of Amaranth Dye on Activated Carbon," Clean Technol., 17(2), 97-102 (2011).
- Isotherm, kinetic, and thermodynamic studies on the adsorption behavior of 10-deacetylpaclitaxel onto Sylopute vol.22, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12257-017-0247-4
- Isotherm, kinetic and thermodynamic studies on the adsorption of 13-dehydroxybaccatin III from Taxus chinensis onto Sylopute vol.115, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jct.2017.08.009
- Evaluation of Removal Characteristics of Taste and Odor Causing Compounds using Meso-Porous Absorbent vol.39, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2017.39.1.26
- Isotherm, Kinetic, and Thermodynamic Characteristics for Adsorption of 2,5-Xylenol onto Activated Carbon vol.23, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12257-018-0259-8