- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of confinement reinforcement and concrete strength on nonlinear behaviour of RC buildings
- Yon, Burak (Civil Engineering Department, Firat University) ;
- Calayir, Yusuf (Civil Engineering Department, Firat University)
- Received : 2014.04.02
- Accepted : 2014.07.13
- Published : 2014.09.30
This paper investigates the effects of confinement reinforcement and concrete strength on nonlinear behaviour of reinforced concrete buildings (RC). For numerical application, an eleven-storey and four bays reinforced concrete frame building is selected. Nonlinear incremental static (pushover) analyses of the building are performed according to various concrete strengths and whether appropriate confinement reinforcement, which defined in Turkish seismic code, exists or not at structural elements. In nonlinear analysis, distributed plastic hinge model is used. As a result of analyses, capacity curves of the frame building and moment-rotation curves at lower end sections of ground floor columns are determined. These results are compared with each other according to concrete strength and whether appropriate confinement reinforcement exists or not, respectively. According to results, it is seen that confinement reinforcement is important factor for increasing of building capacity and decreasing of rotations at structural elements.
- Adalier, K. and Aydingun, O. (2001), "Structural engineering aspects of the June 27, 1998 Adana-Ceyhan (Turkey) earthquake", Eng. Struct., 23, 343-355. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(00)00046-8
- Ates, S., Kahya, V., Yurdakul, M. and Adanur, S. (2013), "Damages on reinforced concrete buildings due to consecutive earthquakes in Van", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng. 53, 109-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2013.06.006
- Bayraktar, A. Altunisik, A.C. and Pehlivan, M. (2013), "Performance and damages of reinforced concrete buildings during the October 23 and November 9, 2011 Van, Turkey, earthquakes", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng. 53, 49-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2013.06.004
- Calayir, Y. Sayin, E. and Yon, B. (2012), "Performance of structures in the rural area during the March 8, 2010 Elazig-Kovancilar earthquake", Nat. Hazards, 61(2), 703-717. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-011-0056-6
- Carvalho, G. Bento, R. and Bhatt, C. (2013), "Nonlinear static and dynamic analyses of reinforced concrete buildings - comparison of different modelling approaches", Earthq. Struct., 4 (5), 451-470. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.4.5.451
- Chan, C.M. and Zou, X.K. (2004), "Elastic and inelastic drift performance optimization for reinforced concrete buildings under earthquake loads", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn.33, 929-950. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.385
- Dides, M.A. and Llera, J.C. (2005), "A comparative study of concentrated plasticity models in dynamic analysis of building structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 34, 1005-1026. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.468
- Dogangun, A. (2004), "Performance of reinforced concrete buildings during the May 1, 2003 Bingol earthquake in Turkey", Eng. Struct., 26(6), 841-856. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.02.005
- Dogangun, A. (2013), "Account and design of concrete structures", Birsen publishing house, lstanbul.Turkey (in Turkish).
- Duan, H. and Hueste, M.B.D. (2012), "Seismic performance of a reinforced concrete frame building in China", Eng.Struct.41, 77-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.03.030
- Eslami, A. and Ronagh, H.R. (2014), "Effect of elaborate plastic hinge definition on the pushover analysis of reinforced concrete buildings", Struct. Des. Tall. Spec. Build., 23(4), 254-271. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1035
- Hancock, J. and Bommer, J.J. (2007), "Using spectral matched records to explore the influence of strongmotion duration on inelastic structural response", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 27, 291-299. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2006.09.004
- lnel, M. and O zmen, H. B. (2006), "Effects of plastic hinge properties in nonlinear analysis of reinforced concrete buildings", Eng.Struct.28, 1494-1502. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.01.017
- lnel, M., O zmen, H B. and Bilgin, H. (2008), "Re-evaluation of building damage during recent earthquakes in Turkey", Eng.Struct., 30, 412-427. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.04.012
- Jeong, S.H. and Elnashai, A.S. (2005), "Analytical assessment of an irregular RC frame for full-scale 3d pseudo-dynamic testing part i: analytical model verification", J. Earth. Eng., 9(1), 95-128.
- Kadid, A., Yahiaoui, D. and Chebili, R. (2010), "Behaviour of reinforced concrete buildings under simultaneous horizontal and vertical ground motions", Asian J. Civil Eng.(Building and Housing), 11, 463-476.
- Kenneth, S.K. and Kalkan, E. (2004), "Evaluation of seismic deformation demands using non-linear procedures in multistory steel and concrete moment frames", ISET Journal of Earthq. Technol., 41, 159-181.
- Kwon, O.S. and Kim, E. (2010), "Case study: Analytical investigation on the failure of a two-story RC building damaged during the 2007 Pisco-Chincha earthquake", Eng. Struct., 32, 1876-1887. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.12.022
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M.J.N. and Park, R. (1988), "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete", J. Struct. Eng., 1804-1826.
- Mwafy, A.M. and Elnashai, A.S. (2001), "Static pushover versus dynamic collapse analysis of RC buildings", Eng.Struct., 23, 407-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(00)00068-7
- Mwafy, A. (2011), "Assessment of seismic design response factors of concrete wall buildings", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 10, 115-127. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-011-0051-7
- Petrangeli, M. (1999), "Fiber element for cyclic bending and shear of RC structures, II: Verification", J. Eng. Mech., 125(9), 1002-1009. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1999)125:9(1002)
- Pinho, R. and Elnashai, A.S. (2000), "Dynamic collapse testing of a full scale four storey RC frame", ISET J. Earthq. Technol, 37(4), 143-163.
- Ricci, P., Luca, F.D. and Verderame, G.M. (2011), "6th April 2009 L'Aquila earthquake, Italy: reinforced concrete building performance", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 9, 285-305. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-010-9204-8
- Sarno, L.D. and Manfredi, G. (2010), "Seismic retrofitting with buckling restrained braces: Application to an existing non-ductile RC framed building", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 30, 1279-1297. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2010.06.001
- Sezen, H., Whittaker, A.S., Elwood, K.J. and Mosalam, K.M. (2003), "Performance of reinforced concrete buildings during the August 17, 1999 Kocaeli, Turkey earthquake, and seismic design and construction practice in Turkey", Eng. Struct., 25(1), 103-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00121-9
- Taucer, F.F., Spacone, E. and Filippou, F.C. (1991), A Fiber Beam-Column Element for Seismic Response Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Structures, Report No. UCB/EERC-91/17, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, College of Engineering, University of California Berkeley.
- Thomos, G.C. and Trezos, G.C. (2006), "Examination of the probabilistic response of reinforced concrete structures under static non-linear analysis", Eng. Struct., 28, 120-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.08.003
- SeismoStruct Version 6 available on www.seismosoft.com/en/SeismoStruct.aspx
- Turkish Seismic Code 2007, Ankara, Turkey.
- Varum, H. (2003), "Seismic assessment, strengthening and repair of existing buildings", Ph.D.Thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Aveiro, Portugal.
- Yon, B. Sayin, E. and Koksal, T.S. (2013), "Seismic response of buildings during the May 19, 2011 Simav, Turkey earthquake", Eartq. Struct., 5(3), 343-357. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.3.343
- Yon, B. and Calayir, Y. (2013), "Pushover analysis of a reinforced concrete building according to various hinge models", 2nd International Balkans Conference on Challenges of Civil Engineering, BCCCE, Tirana, Albania 23-25May.
- Transverse reinforcement for confinement at plastic hinge of circular composite hollow RC columns vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2016.17.3.387
- Experimental and numerical analysis of RC structure with two leaf cavity wall subjected to shake table vol.55, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.55.5.1037
- An evaluation of the seismic response of symmetric steel space buildings vol.20, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.20.2.399