- Volume 43 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effects of Hot Water Extracts of Domestic Blue Mussel and New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel on Alcohol Metabolizing Enzymatic, DPPH Radical Scavenging, and Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitory Activities
국산 홍합과 뉴질랜드 초록입 홍합 열수 추출물의 알코올분해효소 활성에 미치는 영향 및 DPPH 라디칼 소거능과 Angiotensin Converting Enzyme 저해 활성
- Kim, Si-Kyung (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungnam University) ;
- Ok, Dul-Lee (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungnam University) ;
- Park, Eunju (Department of Food and Nutrition, Kyungnam University) ;
- Lee, Seung-Cheol (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungnam University)
- Received : 2014.05.07
- Accepted : 2014.06.03
- Published : 2014.09.30
The physiological activities of cultivated Korean blue mussel (Mytilus edulis) and New Zealand green-lipped mussel (Perna canaliculus) were analyzed and compared. Both hot water extracts of blue mussel flesh (BMF) and green-lipped mussel flesh (GMF) showed increased activities of alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH). BMF showed increased ADH and slightly decreased ALDH activities compared to GMF. 1,1-Diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl radical scavenging activity of BMF was higher than that of GMF at the same concentration. BMF and GMF showed similar inhibitory activity against angiotensin converting enzyme at a concentration of 30 mg/mL. These results suggest that cultivated Korean blue mussel has similar physiological activity with New Zealand green-lipped mussel.
- Korean Statistical Information Service. http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parentId=F#SubCont (accessed May 2014).
- Park YH. 1984. Evaluation of thermal processes for canned marine products (1) Canned boiled sea-mussel in brine and canned smoked sea-mussel in oil. Bull Korean Fish Soc 17:159-164.
- Lee YC, Kim DS, Kim YD, Kim YM. 1990. Preparation of oyster (Crassostrea gigas) and sea mussel (Mylitus coruscus) hydrolyzates using commercial protease. Korean J Food Sci Technol 22: 234-240.
- Park JS. 2011. Physicochemical properties of salt-fermented Mytilus edulis added with various seasoning sauces. Korean J Food Preserv 18: 335-340. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.3.335
- Taylor AG, Savage C. 2006. Fatty acid composition of New Zealand green-lipped mussels, Perna canaliculus: Implications for harvesting for n-3 extracts. Aquaculture 261: 430-439. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2006.08.024
- McPhee S, Hodges LD, Wright PFA, Wynne PM, Kalafatis N, Harney DW, Macrides TA. 2007. Anti-cyclooxygenase effects of lipid extracts from the New Zealand green-lipped mussel, Perna canaliculus. Comp Biochem Physiol Part B 146: 346-356. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpb.2006.11.001
Treschow AP, Hodges LD, Wright PFA, Wynne PM, Kalafatis N, Macrides TA. 2007. Novel anti-inflammatory
$\omega$-3 PUFAs from the New Zealand green-lipped mussel, Perna canaliculus. Comp Biochem Physiol Part B 147: 645-656. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpb.2007.04.004
- McPhee S, Hodges LD, Wright PF, Wynne PM, Kalafatis N, Macrides TA. 2010. Prophylactic and therapeutic effects of Mytilus edulis fatty acids on adjuvant-induced arthritis in male Wistar rats. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 82: 97-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plefa.2009.12.003
- National Fisheries Research Development Institute. 2013. http://portal.nfrdi.re.kr/page?id=aq_seafood_2_7&type=tot&from=totList&fim_col_id=2009-MF0008018-6-D01 (accessed May 2014).
- Charlet M, Chemysh S, Philippe H, Hetru C, Hoffmann JA, Bulet P. 1996. Innate immunity: Isolation of several cysteine-rich antimicrobial peptides from the blood of a mollusk, Mytilus edulis. J Biol Chem 271: 21808-21813. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.271.36.21808
- Kim IH, Kim JW, Lee JH. 2006. Purification of a antimicrobial peptide from the marine mussel, Mytilus coruscus. Environ Mutagen Carcin 26: 25-29.
- Chandran B, Rameshkumar G, Ravichandran S. 2009. Antimicrobial activity from the gill extraction of Perna viridis(Linnaeus, 1758). Global J Biotechnol Biochem 4: 88-92.
- Bergmeyer HU. 1974. Alcohol dehydrogenase. In Methods of Enzymatic Analysis. Bergmeyer HU, ed. Academic Press, New York, NY, USA. Vol 1, p 428-429.
- Koivula T, Koivusalo M. 1975. Different forms of rat liver aldehyde dehydrogenase and their subcellular distribution. Biochim Biophys Acta 397: 9-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-2744(75)90174-6
- Jeong SM, Kim SY, Park HR, Lee SC. 2004. Effect of farinfrared radiation on the activity of extracts from Citrus unshiu peels. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 1580-1583. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.9.1580
- Cushman DW, Cheung HS. 1971. Spectrophotometric assay and properties of the angiotensin-converting enzyme of rabbit lung. Biochem Pharmacol 20: 1637-1648. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(71)90292-9
- SPSS. 2006. SPSS 14.0 for Windows, SPSS Inc., Chicago, IL, USA.
- Liber CS. 1991. Hepatic metabolic and toxic effects of ethanol. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 15: 573-592. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-0277.1991.tb00563.x
- Cho EK, Choi YJ. 2010. Physiological activities of hot water extracts from Ecklonia cava Kjellman. J Life Sci 20:1675-1682. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.11.1675
- Kang YM, Lee BJ, Lim JS. 2010. Alcohol metabolizing activity of fermented sea tangle juice. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 43: 1-5.
- Kang BK, Jung ST, Kim SJ. 2002. Effects of vegetable extracts by solvent separation on alcohol dehydrogenase activity from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 244-248.
- Kim SM, Kang SH, Ma JY, Kim JH. 2006. A study on the extraction and efficacy of bioactive compound from Hovenia dulcis. Korean J Biotechnol Bioeng 21: 11-15.
- Park SC. 1994. Effect of bean sprout extracts on metabolism and biological functions of ethanol in vitro and in vivo. Korea Soybean Digest 10(s): 123-143.
- National Rural Resources Development Institute, R.D.A. 2006. 7th version Food Composition Table II. Hyoil Press, Seoul, Korea. p 134-135.
- National Rural Resources Development Institute, R.D.A. 2006. 7th version Food Composition Table I. Hyoil Press, Seoul, Korea. p 154-155.
- de Zwart FJ, Slow S, Payne RJ, Lever M, George PM, Gerrard JA, Chambers ST. 2003. Glycine betaine and glycine betaine analogues in common foods. Food Chem 83:197-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(03)00063-3
- Craig SAS. 2004. Betaine in human nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr 80: 539-549.
- Brandt EG, Hellgren M, Brinck T, Bergman T, Edholm O. 2009. Molecular dynamics study of zinc binding to cysteines in a peptide mimic of the alcohol dehydrogenase structural zinc site. Phys Chem Chem Phys 11: 975-983. https://doi.org/10.1039/b815482a
- Wang X, Weiner H. 1995. Involvement of glutamate 268 in the active site of human liver mitochondrial (class 2) aldehyde dehydrogenase as probed by site-directed mutagenesis. Biochemistry 34: 237-243. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi00001a028
- National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. USDA Agricultural Research Service. http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list (accessed May 2014).
- Food Composition Database. Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Science and Technology. http://fooddb.mext.go.jp (accessed May 2014).
- The New Zealand Institute for Plant & Food Research Limited and Ministry of Health. The Concise New Zealand Food Composition Tables. http://www.foodcomposition.co.nz/concise-tables (accessed Jun 2014).
- Lee DW, You DH, Yang EK, Jang IC, Bae MS, Jeon YJ, Kim SJ, Lee SC. 2010. Antioxidant and ACE inhibitory activities of Styela clava according to harvesting time. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 331-336. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.3.331
- Fujita H, Yokoyama K, Yoshikawa M. 2000. Classification and antihypertensive activity of angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory peptides derived from food proteins. J Food Sci 65: 564-569. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2000.tb16049.x
- Corvol P, Jeunemaitre X, Charru A, Kotelevtsev Y, Soubrier F. 1995. Role of the renin-angiotensin system in blood pressure regulation and in human hypertension: new insights from molecular genetics. Recent Prog Horm Res 50: 287-308.
- Antioxidant, ACE inhibitory, and acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activities of subcritical water extract of blue mussel vol.27, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-018-0319-z