- Volume 15 Issue 14
DOI QR Code
Assessment of Midwifery Student Preparation for Performing the Role of Breast Cancer Educator
- Bien, Agnieszka Maria (Independent Obstetric Skills Unit, Department of Nursing and Health Sciences, Medical University of Lublin) ;
- Korzynska-Pietas, Magdalena (Independent Obstetric Skills Unit, Department of Nursing and Health Sciences, Medical University of Lublin) ;
- Iwanowicz-Palus, Grazyna Jolanta (Independent Obstetric Skills Unit, Department of Nursing and Health Sciences, Medical University of Lublin)
- 발행 : 2014.07.30
Purpose: Our research project aimed at presenting midwifery student self-assessment of performing the role of breast cancer prevention educator. Materials and Methods: Investigations were carried out in 2011 at the Medical University of Lublin in Poland, and Katolieke Hogeschool of Kortrijk in Belgium, after obtaining approval of the ethical committee of Polish Midwives Association (III/EC/2011/PMA). The project involved a total of 155 midwifery students, made up of 95 from Poland, and 60 from Belgium. Relations between opposing characteristics were tested with Chi-square (
- Avci IA, Kumcagiz H, Altinel B, Caloglu A (2014). Turkish female academician self-esteem and health beliefs for breast cancer screening. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 155-60. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.155
- Bosetti C, Bertuccio P, Levi F, et al (2012). The decline in breast cancer mortality in Europe: an update (to 2009). Breast,21, 77-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2011.08.001
- Burkman R, Schlesselman JJ, Zieman M (2004). Safety concerns and health benefits associated with oral contraception. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 190, 5-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2004.01.061
- Cancer Research UK. Breast cancer statistics. [Online],Available: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/ [2014, March 03].
- Chlebowski RT, Blackburn GL, Thomson CA, et al (2006). Dietary fat reduction and breast cancer outcome: interim efficacy results from the women's intervention nutrition study. J Natl Cancer Inst, 98, 1767-76. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djj494
- Cleary MP, Grossmann ME (2009). Minireview: obesity and breast cancer: the estrogen connection. Endocrinol, 150,2537-42. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.2009-0070
- Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer(2002). Breast cancer and breastfeeding: collaborativereanalysis of individual data from 47 epidemiological studiesin 30 countries, including 50 302 women with breast cancer and 96 973 women without the disease. Lancet, 360, 187-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(02)09454-0
- Council Directive 80/155/EEC of 21 January 1980 concerning the coordination of provisions laid down by Law, Regulationor Administrative Action relating to the ta king up and pursuitof the activities of midwives, 1980.
- Cummings SR, Tice JA, Bauer S, et al (2009). Prevention of breast cancer in postmenopausal women: approachesto estimating and reducing risk. J Natl Cancer Inst, 101,384-98. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djp018
- Demireloz M, Ceber E, Ozenturk G (2010). Midwives roles in women's improvement of protective behaviour against breastcancer whether they have a family history of cancer or not. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1037-43.
- Directive 2005/36/EC of the European Parliament and ofthe Council of 7 September 2005 on the recognition of Professional qualifications (Text with EEArelevance), 2005.
- do Carmo Franca-Botelho A, Ferreira MC, Franca JL, Franca EL, Honorio-Franca AC (2012). Breastfeeding and itsrelationship with reduction of breast cancer: a review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5327-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5327
- Emons JK, Luiten MIJ (2002). Midwifery in Europe. Aninventory in fifteen EU - member states. Deloitte & Touche. The Netherlands.
- Act in the Matter of Occupation of Nurse and Midwife of 15 July 2011, Official Journal No. 174, Clause 1039.
- Akhtari-Zavare M, Juni MH, Said SM, Ismail IZ (2013). Beliefsand behavior of Malaysia undergraduate female students in a public university toward breast self-examination practice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 57-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.57
- Faupel-Badger JM, Arcaro KF, Balkam JJ, et al (2013). Postpartum remodeling, lactation, and breast cancerrisk: summary of a National Cancer Institute-sponsored workshop. J Natl Cancer Inst, 105, 166-74. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djs505
- Fotedar V, Seam RK, Gupta MK, et al (2013). Knowledge of risk factors and early detection methods and practices towards breast cancer among nurses in Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 117-20. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.117
- Freund C, Mirabel L, Annane K, Mathelin C (2005). Breastfeeding and breast cancer. Gynecol Obstet Fertil,33, 739-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gyobfe.2005.07.030
- Harhra NA, Basaleem HO (2012). Trends of breast cancer and its management in the last twenty years in Aden and adjacentgovernorates, Yemen. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4347-51. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.4247
- Hunter DJ, Colditz GA, Hankinson SE, et al (2010). Oralcontraceptive use and breast cancer: a prospective study of young women. Cancer Epidemi Biomar Prev, 19, 2496-502. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-10-0747
- Khan N, Afaq F, Mukhtar H (2010). Lifestyle as risk factor for cancer: evidence from human studies. Cancer Lett, 293,133-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2009.12.013
- Kobayashi S, Sugiura H, Ando Y, et al (2012). Reproductive history and breast cancer risk. Breast Cancer, 19, 302-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-012-0384-8
- Kyrkjebo JM, Hage I (2005). What we know and what they do: nursing students' experiences of improvement knowledge inclinical practice. Nurse Educ Today, 25, 167-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2004.11.008
- Linos E, Willett WC, Cho E, Frazier L (2010). Adolescent diet inrelation to breast cancer risk among premenopausal women. Cancer Epidemio Biomarkers Prev, 19, 689-96. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-09-0802
- Lodha RS, Nandeshwar S, Pal DK, et al (2011). Risk factors for breast cancer among women in Bhopal urban agglomerate: a case-control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2111-5.
- Ma H, Henderson KD, Sullivan-Halley J, et al (2010).Pregnancy-related factors and the risk of breast carcinoma in situ and invasive breast cancer among postmenopausal women in the California Teachers Study cohort. Breast Cancer Res, 12, 35.
- McTiernan A, Porter P, Potter JD (2008). Breast cancerprevention in countries with diverse resources. Cancer, 113, 2325-30. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23829
- Menvielle G, Kunst AE, van Gils CH, et al (2011). Thecontribution of risk factors to the higher incidence of invasiveand in situ breast cancers in women with higher levels of education in the European prospective investigation intocancer and nutrition. Am J Epidemiol, 173, 26-37. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwq319
- Monninkhof EM, Elias SG, Vlems FA, et al (2007). Physical activity and breast cancer: a systematic review. Epidemiology,18, 137-57. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ede.0000251167.75581.98
- Montazeri A, Sadighi J, Farzadi F, et al (2008). Weight, height, body mass index and risk of breast cancer in postmenopausalwomen: a case-control study. BMC Cancer, 8, 278. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-8-278
- Plesnicar A, Golicnik M, Fazarinc IK, et al (2010). Attitudes of midwifery students towards teaching breast-selfexamination. Radiol Oncol, 44, 52-6.
- Pudrovska T, Anikputa B (2012). The role of early-lifesocioeconomic status in breast cancer incidence and mortality: unraveling life course mechanisms. J Aging Health, 24, 323-44. https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264311422744
- Rosmawati NH (2010). Knowledge, attitudes and practice of breast self-examination among women in a suburban area inTerengganu, Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1503-8.
- Yousuf SA, Al Amoudi SM, Nicolas W, et al (2012). Do Saudi nurses in primary health care centres have breast cancerknowledge to promote breast cancer awareness? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4459-64. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4459