- Volume 15 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Association between ABCB1 Immunohistochemical Expression and Overall Survival in Gastric Cancer Patients
- de Oliveira, Juliana (Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Federal University of Sao Paulo, UNIFESP) ;
- Felipe, Aledson Vitor (Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Federal University of Sao Paulo, UNIFESP) ;
- Neto, Ricardo Artigiani (Department of Pathology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, UNIFESP) ;
- Oshima, Celina Tizuko (Department of Pathology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, UNIFESP) ;
- de Souza Silva, Marcelo (Department of Pathology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, UNIFESP) ;
- Forones, Nora Manoukian (Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Federal University of Sao Paulo, UNIFESP)
- Published : 2014.08.30
Gastric cancer (GC) is one of the most common malignancies worldwide. The ABCB1 protein, a member of the ATP-binding cassette (ABC) transporter family, encoded by the ABCB1 gene, considerably influences the distribution of drugs across cell membranes as well as multidrug resistance (MDR) of antineoplastic drugs. In contrast to the extensive knowledge on the pharmacological action of ABCB1 protein, the correlation between the clinical-pathological data and ABCB1 protein expression in patients with GC remains unclear. The aim was to investigate association between ABCB1 expression and overall survival in GC patients. Human tumor fragments from 57 GC patients were examined by immunohistochemistry assay. We observed lower survival rate of patients with GC who were positive for ABCB1 expression (p=0.030). Based on these observations, we conclude that GC patients with positive ABCB1 protein immunohistochemical expression in their tumors suffer shorter overall survival.
- Ambudkar SV, Kim IW, Sauna ZE (2006). The power of the pump: mechanisms of action of P-glycoprotein (ABCB1). Eur J Pharm Sci, 27, 392-400. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejps.2005.10.010
- Baldissera VD, de Mattos AA, Coral GP, et al (2012). Evaluation of the C3435T polymorphism in the MDR1 gene in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Ann Hepatol, 11, 899-906.
- Bray F, Jemal A, Grey N, Ferlay J, Forman D (2012). Global cancer transitions according to the Human Development Index (2008-2030): a population-based study. Lancet Oncol, 8, 790-801.
- Choi JH, Lim HY, Joo HJ, et al (2002). Expression of multidrug resistance-associated protein1,P-glycoprotein, and thymidylate synthase in gastric cancer patients treated with 5-fluorouracil and doxorubicin-based adjuvant chemotherapy after curative resection. Br J Cancer, 86, 1578-85. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600305
- Crew KD, Neugut AI (2006). Epidemiology of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 354-62.
- Dean M (2009). ABC transporters, drug resistance and cancer stem cells. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia, 14, 3-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10911-009-9109-9
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F (2008). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917.
- Fromm MF (2002). The influence of MDR1 polymorphisms on P-glycoprotein expression and function in humans. Adv Drug Deliv Rev, 54, 1295-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-409X(02)00064-9
- Gottesman MM (2002). Mechanisms of cancer drug resistance. Annu Rev Med, 53, 615-27. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.med.53.082901.103929
- Kim JJ, Tannock IF (2005). Repopulation of cancer cells during therapy: an important cause of treatment failure. Nat Rev Cancer, 5, 516-25. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1650
- Lacueva FJ, Calpena R, Medrano J, et al (2000). Changes in P-glycoprotein expression in gastric carcinoma with respect to distant gastric mucosa may be influenced by p53. Cancer, 89, 21-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20000701)89:1<21::AID-CNCR4>3.0.CO;2-T
- Nobili S, Landini I, Giglioni B, Mini E (2006). Pharmacological strategies for overcoming multidrug resistance. Curr Drug Targets, 7, 861-79. https://doi.org/10.2174/138945006777709593
- Oliveira J, Felipe AV, Chang PY, et al (2012). Association between the C3435T single-nucleotide polymorphism of multidrug resistance 1 gene and risk of gastric cancer. Mol Med Rep, 6, 395-8.
- Ren YQ, Han JQ, Cao JB, Li SX, Fan GR (2012). Association of MDR1 gene polymorphisms with susceptibility to hepatocellular carcinoma in the Chinese population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5451-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5451
- Salama NN, Yang Z, Bui T, Ho RJ (2006). MDR1 haplotypes significantly minimize intracellular uptake and transcellular P-gp substrate transport in recombinant LLC-PK1 cells. J Pharm Sci, 95, 2293-308. https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.20717
- Silva GA, Gamarra CJ, Girianelli VR, Valente JG (2011). Cancer mortality trends in Brazilian state capitals and other municipalities between 1980 and 2006. Rev Saude Publica, 45, 1009-18. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0034-89102011005000076
- Song W, Jiang R, Zhao CM (2012). Role of integrin-linked kinase in multi-drug resistance of human gastric carcinoma SGC7901/DDP cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5619-25. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5619
- Ueda K, Cornwell MM, Gottesman MM, et al (1986). The MDR1 gene, responsible for multidrug-resistance, codes for P-glycoprotein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 141, 956-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-291X(86)80136-X
- Wei WZ, Yu JP, Li J, Liu CS, Zheng XH (2005). Evaluation of contrast-enhanced helical hydro-CT in staging gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol, 11, 4592-5.
- Wu DD, Zhang JX, Li J, Dong WG (2014). Lack of association of the MDR1 C3435T polymorphism with susceptibility to gastric cancer and peptic ulcer: a systemic review and metaanalysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3021-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3021
- Xie HL, Su Q, He XS, et al (2004). Expression of p21(WAF1) and p53 and polymorphism of p21(WAF1) gene in gastric carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol, 10, 1125-31.
- Zhang WY, Zhang WJ, Bai Y, et al (2013). Impact of adjuvant chemotherapy cycles on prognosis of resectable stomach cancer: a retrospective analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 381-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.381
- Zhu CY, Lv YP, Yan DF, Gao FL (2013). Knockdown of ABCB1 increases the sensitivity to adriamycin in drug resistant gastric cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6757-60. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6757
- Genetic Variation in the ABCB1 Gene May Lead to mRNA Level Chabge: Application to Gastric Cancer Cases vol.16, pp.18, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.18.8467
- Influence of Genotype and Haplotype of MDR1 (C3435T, G2677A/T, C1236T) on the Incidence of Breast Cancer - a Case-Control Study in Jordan vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.261