- Volume 15 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Roles of Neutrophil/Lymphocyte and Platelet/Lymphocyte Ratios in the Early Diagnosis of Malignant Ovarian Masses
- Yildirim, Mem Arjen (Obstetrics and Gynecology Department of Zekai Tahir Burak Women's Health and Research Hospital) ;
- Seckin, Kerem Doga (Obstetrics and Gynecology Department of Zekai Tahir Burak Women's Health and Research Hospital) ;
- Togrul, Cihan (Obstetrics and Gynecology Department of Zekai Tahir Burak Women's Health and Research Hospital) ;
- Baser, Eralp (Obstetrics and Gynecology Department of Zekai Tahir Burak Women's Health and Research Hospital) ;
- Karsli, Mehmet Fatih (Obstetrics and Gynecology Department of Zekai Tahir Burak Women's Health and Research Hospital) ;
- Gungor, Tayfun (Obstetrics and Gynecology Department of Zekai Tahir Burak Women's Health and Research Hospital) ;
- Gulerman, Hacer Cavidan (Obstetrics and Gynecology Department of Zekai Tahir Burak Women's Health and Research Hospital)
- Published : 2014.08.30
Background: The present study aimed to investigate the utility and importance of the various parameters of complete blood count panel for benign-malignant differentiation of adnexal masses. Materials and Methods: This retrospective study involved 316 patients with documented benign and 253 patients with malignant adnexal masses who underwent primary surgical treatment at a tertiary referral center. Prior to the study, all benign and malignant cases were compared within their own groups and then the benign and malignant cases were compared to each other. For all cases, cut-off, sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value (PPV) and negative predictive value (NPV) were calculated for the neutrophil lymphocyte ratio (NLR), platelet lymphocyte ratio (PLR), neutrophil, lymphocyte, platelet and CA-125 parameters, and the results were compared in regards to the groups. Results: NLR, PLR, neutrophil, CA-125, and platelet values were higher in the malignant compared to the benign cases (p<0.01). The lymphocyte value was lower in the malignant cases (p<0.01). No significant differences were found for basophils and eosinophils (p > 0.05). For CA-125, the sensitivity, specificity, PPV and NPV for all cases were 78%, 62%, 62% and 78%, respectively. For NLR, they were 65.6%, 72.1%, 65.3%, and 72.3%, and for PLR, 48%, 81%, 67%, and 66%. Additionally, the sensitivity and specificity were 55% and 77% for CA-125, 66% and 58% for NLR, and 61% and 58% for PLR in early malignant cases. Conclusions: NLR and PLR appear to be useful methods that can be applied together with CA-125 due to the relatively high sensitivity values for the malign-benign differentiation of ovarian masses. Although the specificity of these parameters is lower than CA-125, especially in cases with early malignant ovarian pathology, their sensitivity being higher is promising for the early diagnosis of ovarian cancer. It can be used to detect ovarian malignancies in the early stages, and it will increase the treatment options and improve survival rates.
Neutrophil lymphocyte ratio;platelet lymphocyte ratio;ovarian mass;CA-125
- Altinoz MA, Korkmaz R (2004). NF-kappaB, macrophage migration inhibitory factor and cyclooxygenase-inhibitions as likely mechanisms behind the acetaminophen- and NSAID-prevention of the ovarian cancer. Neoplasma, 51, 239-47.
- Ardies CM (2003). Inflammation as cause for scar cancers of the lung. Integr Cancer Ther, 2, 238-46. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735403256332
- Arun-Muthuvel V, Jaya V (2014). Pre-operative evaluation of ovarian tumors by risk of malignancy index, CA125 and ultrasound. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2929-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2929
- Asher V, Lee J, Innamaa A, Bali A (2011). Preoperative platelet lymphocyte ratio as an independent prognostic marker in ovarian cancer. Clin Transl Oncol, 13, 499-503. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12094-011-0687-9
- Ashrafgangooei T, Rezaeezadeh M (2011). Risk of malignancy index in preoperative evaluation of pelvic masses. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1727-30.
- Bartsch H, Nair J (2004). Oxidative stress and lipid peroxidationderived DNA-lesions in inflammation driven carcinogenesis. Cancer Detect Prev, 28, 385-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2004.07.004
- Bast RC, Jr. Badgwell D, Lu Z, et al (2005). New tumor markers: CA125 and beyond. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 15, 274-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1438.2005.00441.x
- Bast RC, Jr Xu FJ, Yu YH, et al (1998). CA 125: the past and the future. Int J Biol Markers, 13, 179-87.
- Benedet JL, Bender H, Jones H, Ngan HY, Pecorelli S (2000). FIGO staging classifications and clinical practice guidelines in the management of gynecologic cancers. FIGO Committee on Gynecologic Oncology. Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 70, 209-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7292(00)90001-8
- Bian J, Li B, Kou XJ, Liu TZ, Ming L (2013). Clinical significance of combined detection of serum tumor markers in diagnosis of patients with ovarian cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6241-3. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6241
- Brower V (2005). Feeding the flame: new research adds to role of inflammation in cancer development. J Natl Cancer Inst, 97, 251-3. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/97.4.251
- Cho H, Hur HW, Kim SW, et al (2009). Pre-treatment neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio is elevated in epithelial ovarian cancer and predicts survival after treatment. Cancer Immunol Immunother, 58, 15-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00262-008-0516-3
- Cho S, Cho H, Nam A, et al (2008). Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio as an adjunct to CA-125 for the diagnosis of endometriosis. Fertil Steril, 90, 2073-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2008.03.061
- Crasta JA, Premlatha TS, Krishnan SM, Vallikad E, Rameshkumar K (2010). Significance of preoperative thrombocytosis in epithelial ovarian cancer. Indian J Pathol Microbiol, 53, 54-6. https://doi.org/10.4103/0377-4929.59184
- Dirican A, Kucukzeybek Y, Erten C, et al (2013). Prognostic and predictive value of hematologic parameters in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma: second line sunitinib treatment following IFN-alpha. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2101-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.2101
- Gadducci A, Cosio S, Tana R, Genazzani AR (2009). Serum and tissue biomarkers as predictive and prognostic variables in epithelial ovarian cancer. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, 69, 12-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.critrevonc.2008.05.001
- Guzel AI, Kokanali MK, Erkilinc S, et al (2014). Predictive role of the neutrophil lymphocyte ratio for invasion with gestational trophoblastic disease. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4203-06. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4203
- Hussein MR, Ahmed RA (2005). Analysis of the mononuclear inflammatory cell infiltrate in the non-tumorigenic, pretumorigenic and tumorigenic keratinocytic hyperproliferative lesions of the skin. Cancer Biol Ther, 4, 819-21. https://doi.org/10.4161/cbt.4.8.1864
- Jaiswal M, Larusso NF, Gores GJ (2001). Nitric oxide in gastrointestinal epithelial cell carcinogenesis: linking inflammation to oncogenesis. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol, 281, 626-34.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al (2009). Cancer statistics, 2009. CA Cancer J Clin, 59, 225-49. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20006
- Jilma B, Blann A, Pernerstorfer T, et al (1999). Regulation of adhesion molecules during human endotoxemia. No acute effects of aspirin. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 159, 857-63. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.159.3.9805087
- Karaman H, Karaman A, Erden A, et al (2013) Relationship between colonic polyp type and the neutrophil/ lymphocyte ratio as a biomarker. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3159-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3159
- Kim HS, Han KH, Chung HH, et al (2010). Neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio for preoperative diagnosis of uterine sarcomas: a case-matched comparison. Eur J Surg Oncol, 36, 691-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2010.05.004
- Kuyumcuoglu U, Guzel AI, Celik Y, Erdemoglu M (2010). The association of preoperative thrombocytosis with prognostic factors in malign ovarian tumor. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol, 31, 514-6.
- Landis SH, Murray T, Bolden S, Wingo PA (1998). Cancer statistics, 1998. CA Cancer J Clin, 48, 6-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.48.1.6
- Lee M, Kim SW, Nam EJ, et al (2011). The impact of pretreatment thrombocytosis, persistent thrombocytosis after adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol, 122, 238-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2011.04.012
- Lee YY, Choi CH, Kim HJ, et al (2012). Pretreatment neutrophil:lymphocyte ratio as a prognostic factor in cervical carcinoma. Anticancer Res, 32, 1555-61.
- Li AJ, Madden AC, Cass I, et al (2004). The prognostic significance of thrombocytosis in epithelial ovarian carcinoma. Gynecol Oncol, 92, 211-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2003.09.002
- Li L, Xu Y, Yu CX (2012). Proteomic analysis of serum of women with elevated Ca-125 to differentiate malignant from benign ovarian tumors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3265-70. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3265
- Pauler DK, Menon U, Mcintosh M, et al (2001). Factors influencing serum CA125II levels in healthy postmenopausal women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 10, 489-93.
- Suh DH, Kim HS, Chung HH, et al (2012). Pre-operative systemic inflammatory response markers in predicting lymph node metastasis in endometrioid endometrial adenocarcinoma. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol, 162, 206-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejogrb.2012.02.028
- Thavaramara T, Phaloprakarn C, Tangjitgamol S, Manusirivithaya S (2011). Role of neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio as a prognostic indicator for epithelial ovarian cancer. J Med Assoc Thai, 94, 871-7.
- Ueno H, Hawrylowicz CM, Banchereau J (2007). Immunological intervention in human diseases. J Transl Med, 5, 59. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5876-5-59
- Unal D, Eroglu C, Kurtul N, Oguz A, Tasdemir A (2013). Are neutrophil/lymphocyte and platelet/lymphocyte rates in patients with non-small cell lung cancer associated with treatment response and prognosis? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5237-42. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5237
- Van Der Auwera I, Van Laere SJ, Van Den Eynden GG, et al (2004). Increased angiogenesis and lymphangiogenesis in inflammatory versus noninflammatory breast cancer by real-time reverse transcriptase-PCR gene expression quantification. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 7965-71. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-0063
- Wang W, Bergh A, Damber JE (2004). Chronic inflammation in benign prostate hyperplasia is associated with focal upregulation of cyclooxygenase-2, Bcl-2, and cell proliferation in the glandular epithelium. Prostate, 61, 60-72. https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.20061
- Winarto H, Laihad BJ, Nuranna L (2014). Modification of cutoff values for HE4, CA125, the risk of malignancy index and the risk of malignancy algorithm for ovarian cancer detection in Jakarta, Indonesia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1949-53. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.1949
- Value of the Platelet to Lymphocyte Ratio in the Diagnosis of Ovarian Neoplasms in Adolescents vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.2037
- May the Neutrophil/Lymphocyte Ratio Be a Predictor in the Differentiation of Different Thyroid Disorders? vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3875
- Investigating Preoperative Hematologic Markers for Prediction of Ovarian Cancer Surgical Outcome vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1445
- Preoperative NLR and PLR in the middle or lower ESCC patients with radical operation vol.26, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12445
- Does preoperative neutrophil to lymphocyte or platelet to lymphocyte ratios have a role in predicting borderline ovarian tumors? vol.9, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13048-016-0283-2
- The diagnostic efficacy of platelet-to-lymphocyte ratio and neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio in ovarian cancer vol.66, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00011-017-1026-6
- Pretreatment neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio and its dynamic change during neoadjuvant chemotherapy as poor prognostic factors in advanced ovarian cancer vol.61, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5468/ogs.2018.61.2.227