- Volume 15 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Establishment and Partial Characterization of an Epirubicin-Resistant Gastric Cancer Cell Line with Upregulated ABCB1
- Felipe, Aledson Vitor (Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Federal University) ;
- Moraes, Andrea Aparecida (Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Federal University) ;
- de Oliveira, Juliana (Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Federal University) ;
- da Silva, Tiago Donizetti (Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Federal University) ;
- Forones, Nora Manoukian (Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Federal University)
- Published : 2014.08.30
Multidrug resistance (MDR) is a major impediment to successful chemotherapy of gastric cancer. Our aim was to establish an epirubicin-resistant cell subline (AGS/EPI) and to elucidate the mechanisms involved in acquired EPI resistance. The AGS/EPI cell subline developed by exposing parental AGS cells to stepwise increasing concentrations of EPI demonstrated 2.52-fold resistance relative to the AGS cell line, and mRNA expression of the ATP-dependent drug-efflux pump P-glycoprotein (Pgp), more recently known as ABCB1 protein, was similarly upregulated. An AGS/EPI cell subline could thus be effectively established, and MDR mechanism of these cells was shown to be related to the overexpression of mRNA of the ABCB1 gene.
Multidrug resistance;gastric cancer;ABCB1;epirubicin
- Chen SY, Hu SS, Dong Q, et al (2013). Establishment of paclitaxel-resistant breast cancer cell line and nude mice models, and underlying multidrug resistance mechanisms in vitro and in vivo. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6135-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.6135
- Cordon-Cardo C, O'Brien JP, Boccia J, et al (1990). Expression of the multidrug resistance gene product (P-glycoprotein) in human normal and tumor tissues. J Histochem Cytochem, 38, 1277-87. https://doi.org/10.1177/38.9.1974900
- Crew KD, Neugut AI (2006). Epidemiology of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 354-62.
- Cunningham D, Allum WH, Stenning SP, et al (2006). Perioperative chemotherapy versus surgery alone for resectable gastroesophageal cancer. New Engl J Med, 6, 11-20.
- Dupuis ML, Ascione A, Palmisano L, Vella S, Cianfriglia M (2013). Raltegravir does not revert efflux activity of MDR1- P-glycoprotein in human MDR cells. BMC Pharmacol Toxicol, 14, 47. https://doi.org/10.1186/2050-6511-14-47
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F (2008). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917.
- Findlay M, Cunningham D, Norman A et al (1994). A phase II study in advanced gastro-esophageal cancer using epirubicin and cisplatin in combination with continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil (ECF). Ann Oncol, 5, 609-16.
- Gillet JP, Gottesman MM (2011). Advances in the molecular detection of ABC transporters involved in multidrug resistance in cancer. Curr Pharm Biotechnol, 12, 686-92. https://doi.org/10.2174/138920111795163931
- Gottesman MM (2002). Mechanisms of cancer drug resistance. Annu Rev Med. 53, 615-27. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.med.53.082901.103929
- Gottesman MM, Fojo T, Bates SE (2002). Multidrug resistance in cancer: role of ATP-dependent transporters. Nat Rev Cancer, 2, 48-58. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc706
- Hussain RF, Nouri AM, Oliver RT (1993). A new approach for measurement of cytotoxicity using colorimetric assay. J Immunol Methods, 160, 89-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(93)90012-V
- Kim JJ, Tannock IF (2005). Repopulation of cancer cells during therapy: an important cause of treatment failure. Nat Rev Cancer, 5, 516-25. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1650
- Lee SV, Bahaman AR (2010). Modified gel preparation for distinct DNA fragment analysis in agarose gel electrophoresis. Trop Biomed, 27, 351-4.
- Louisa M, Soediro TM, Suyatna FD (2014). In vitro modulation of P-glycoprotein, MRP-1 and BCRP expression by mangiferin in doxorubicin-treated MCF-7 cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1639-42. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1639
- Mosmann T (1983). Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods, 65, 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(83)90303-4
- Bray F, Jemal A, Grey N, Ferlay J, Forman D (2012). Global cancer transitions according to the Human Development Index (2008-2030): a population-based study. Lancet Oncol, 8, 790-801.
- Chen CC, Chu CB, Liu KJ, et al (2013). Gene expression profiling for analysis acquired oxaliplatin resistant factors in human gastric carcinoma TSGH-S3 cells: the role of IL-6 signaling and Nrf2/AKR1C axis identification. Biochem Pharmacol, 7, 872-87.
- Nobili S, Landini I, Giglioni B, Mini E (2006). Pharmacological strategies for overcoming multidrug resistance. Curr Drug Targets, 7, 861-79. https://doi.org/10.2174/138945006777709593
- Oliveira J, Felipe AV, Chang PY, et al (2012). Association between the C3435T single-nucleotide polymorphism of multidrug resistance 1 gene and risk of gastric cancer. Mol Med Rep, 6, 395-8.
- Perez E (2009). Impact, mechanisms, and novel chemotherapy strategies for over- coming resistance to anthracyclines and taxanes in metastatic breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 114, 195-201 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-008-0005-6
- Plati J, Bucur O, Khosravi-Far R (2008). Dysregulation of apoptotic signaling in cancer: molecular mechanisms and therapeutic opportunities. J Cell Biochem, 104, 1124-49. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.21707
- Redmond KM, Wilson TR, Johnston PG, Longley DB (2008). Resistance mechanisms to cancer chemotherapy. Front Biosci, 13, 5138-54.
- Richter M, Molnar J, Hilgeroth A (2006). Biological evaluation of bishydroxymethyl-substituted cage dimeric 1,4-dihydropyridines as a novel class of p-glycoprotein modulating agents in cancer cells. J Med Chem, 49, 2838-40. https://doi.org/10.1021/jm058046w
- Simsek EN, Uysal T (2013). In vitro investigation of cytotoxic and apoptotic effects of Cynara L. species in colorectal cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6791-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6791
- Ueda K, Cornwell MM, Pastan I, et al (1986). The MDR1 gene, responsible for multidrug-resistance, codes for Pglycoprotein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 141, 956-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-291X(86)80136-X
- Wagner AD, Grothe W, Behl S, et al (2005). Chemotherapy for advanced gastric cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2, 4064.
- Yang J, Wang ZG, Cai HQ, Li YC, Xu YL (2013). Effect of variation of ABCB1 and ABCC3 genotypes on the survival of bone tumor cases after chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4595-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4595
- Ying LS, Yu JL, Lu XX, Ling ZQ (2013). Enhanced RegIV expression predicts the intrinsic 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) resistance in advanced gastric cancer. Dig Dis Sci, 58, 414-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-012-2381-3
- Yuan SQ, Zhou ZW, Liang YJ, et al (2009). Correlation of chemosensitivity measured by histoculture drug response assay to expression of multidrug resistance genes and proteins in gastric cancer. Ai Zheng, 4, 337-43.
- Zhao L, Pan Y, Gang Y, et al (2009). Identification of GAS1 as an epirubicin resistance-related gene in human gastric cancer cells with a partially randomized small interfering RNA library. J Biol Chem, 284, 26273-85. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M109.028068
- Zhu CY, Lv YP, Yan DF, Gao FL (2013). Knockdown of MDR1 increases the sensitivity to adriamycin in drug resistant gastric cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6757-60. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6757
- Genetic Variation in the ABCB1 Gene May Lead to mRNA Level Chabge: Application to Gastric Cancer Cases vol.16, pp.18, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.18.8467
- Distinct characterization of two vinorelbine-resistant breast cancer cell lines developed by different strategies vol.35, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2016.4566