- Volume 15 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Determination of Sexual Problems of Turkish Patients Receiving Gynecologic Cancer Treatment: a Cross-sectional Study
- Demirtas, Basak (Nursing Department, Faculty of Health Sciences, Yildirim Beyazit University) ;
- Pinar, Gul (Nursing Department, Faculty of Health Sciences, Yildirim Beyazit University)
- Published : 2014.08.30
Background: The present study aimed to determine the prevalence and types of sexual problems of Turkish patients receiving gynecologic cancer treatment. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional convenience sample of 168 women completed the Index of Female Sexual Function (IFSF) and a Patient Identification Form in a hospital in Ankara, Turkey. Mean IFSF scores of the patients were low (
Gynecologic cancer treatment;physicians;nurses;sexuality;sexual counseling
- Akkuzu G, Talas MS, Ortac F (2014). Functional status in Turkish women with gynecological cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2045-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2045
- Akkuzu G, Ayhan A (2013). Sexual functions of Turkish women with gynecologic cancer during the chemotherapy process. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3561-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3561
- Akkuzu G (2012). An evaluation of the quality of life of women undergoing chemotherapy due to a diagnosis of a gynecological oncological disease. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1277-80. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1277
- Ananth H, Jones L, King M, Tookman A (2003). The impact of cancer on sexual function: a controlled study. Palliative Med, 17, 202-5. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269216303pm759oa
- Aslan E, Beji NK, Gungor I, Kadioglu A, Dikencik BK (2008). Prevalence and risk factors for low sexual function in women: a study of 1009 women in an outpatient clinic of a university hospital in Istanbul. J Sex Med, 5, 2044-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1743-6109.2008.00873.x
- Audette C, Waterman J (2010). The sexual health of women after gynecologic malignancy. J Midwifery Wom Heal, 55, 357-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmwh.2009.10.016
- Barton-Buckle M, Gustason CJ (2007). Sexuality in women with cancer. Nurs Clin N Am, 42, 685-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cnur.2007.08.007
- Bober SL, Varela VS (2012). Sexuality in adult cancer survivors: challenges and intervention. J Clin Oncol, 20, 3712-9.
- Burns M, Costello J, Ryan-Woolley B, Davidson S (2007). Assessing the impact of late treatment effects in cervical cancer: an exploratory study of women's sexuality. Eur J Canc Care, 16, 364-72. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2006.00743.x
- Carter J, Stabile C, Gunn A, Sonoda Y (2013). The physical consequences of gynecologic cancer surgery and their impact on sexual, emotional, and quality of life issues. J Sex Med, 10, 21-34. https://doi.org/10.1111/jsm.12002
- Cayan S, Akbay E, Bozlu M, et al (2004). The prevalence of female sexual dysfunction and potential risk factors that may impair sexual function in Turkish women. Urol Int, 72, 52-7.
- Chao YH, Wang SY, Hsu TH, Wang KWK (2014). The desire to survive: the adaptation process of adult cancer patients undergoing radiotherapy. Jpn J Nursing Sci, [Epub ahead of print].
- Corney RH, Crowther ME, Everett H, Howells A, Shepherd JH (1993). Psychosexual dysfunction in women with gynaecological cancer following radical pelvic surgery. Br J Obstet Gynaecol, 100, 73-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.1993.tb12955.x
- Cull A, Cowie VJ, Farquharson DIM, et al (1993). Early stage cervical cancer: psychosocial and sexual outcomes of treatment. Br J Cancer, 68, 1216-20. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1993.507
- Demirezen E (2006). Evaluation of woman sexuality in primary health care. STED, 15, 80-4.
- Eker F, Acikgoz F (2011). The impact of cancer and its treatment on sexual desire, satisfaction and functioning: findings from an exploratory study in rural Turkey. Eur J Cancer Care 20, 769-75. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2011.01262.x
- Erenel AS, Kitis Y (2011). A study on determination of women's sexual function. Turkiye Klinikleri J Gynecol Obst, 21, 251-9.
- GLOBOCAN (2008). Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: International Agency for Research on Cancer. Available from: http://globocan. iarc.fr. Accessed 10 Feb 2014.
- Helstrom L (1994). Sexuality after hysterectomy: a model based on quantitative and qualitative analysis of 104 women before and after subtotal hysterectomy. J Psychosom Obstet Gynecol, 15, 219-29. https://doi.org/10.3109/01674829409025649
- Hordern AJ, Annette FS (2007). Communicating about patient sexuality and intimacy after cancer: mismatched expectations and unmet needs. Med J Australia, 186, 224-7.
- Incrocci L, Jensen PT (2013). Pelvic radiotherapy and sexual function in men and women. J Sex Med, 10, 53-64. https://doi.org/10.1111/jsm.12010
- Kaplan SA, Reis RB, Kohn IJ, et al (1999). Safety and efficacy of sildenafil in postmenopausal women with sexual disfunction. J Urology, 53, 481-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(98)00633-5
- Katz A (2005). The sounds of silence: sexuality information for cancer patients. J Clin Oncol, 23, 238-41. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.05.101
- Keskin G, Gumus BA (2011). Turkish hysterectomy and mastectomy patients - depression, body image, sexual problems and spouse relationships. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 425-32.
- Kim S, Kang HS, Kim JH (2011). A sexual health care attitude scale for nurses: development and psychometric evaluation. Int J Nurs Stud, 48, 1522-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2011.06.008
- Krebs L, Marrs JA (2006). What should i say? talking with patients about sexuality issues. Clin J Oncol Nurs, 10, 313-5. https://doi.org/10.1188/06.CJON.313-315
- Lee SJ, Schover LR, Partridge AH, et al (2006). American Society of Clinical Oncology recommendations on fertility preservation in cancer patients. J Clin Oncol, 24, 2917-31. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.06.5888
- National Cancer Institute (2007). Sexuality and reproductive issues health. Available from: http://www.Cancer.Gov/cancertopics/pdq/supportivecare/sexuality/health Professional.
- Nazik E, Arslan S, Nazik H, et al (2012) Anxiety and symptom assessment in Turkish gynecologic cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3129-33. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3129
- Nieman CL, Kazer R, Brannigan RE, et al (2006). Cancer survivors and infertility: a review of a new problem and novel answers. J Support Oncol, 4, 171-8.
- Olsson C, Berglund AL, Larsson M, Athlin E (2012). Patient's sexuality- A neglected area of cancer nursing? Eur J Oncol Nurs, 16, 426-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2011.10.003
- Reis N, Beji KN, Coskun A (2010). Quality of life and sexual functioning in gynecological cancer patients: results from quantitative and qualitaty data. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 14, 137-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2009.09.004
- Sankaranarayanan R, Ferlay J (2006). Worldwide burden of gynaecological cancer: the size of the problem. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol, 20, 207-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpobgyn.2005.10.007
- Sekse RJT, Raaheim M, Blaaka G, Gjengedal E (2010). Life beyond cancer: women's experiences 5 years after treatment for gynaecological cancer. Scand J Caring Sci, 24, 799-807. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-6712.2010.00778.x
- Shell JA (2007). Including sexuality in your nursing practic. Nurs Clin N Am, 42, 515-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cnur.2007.07.004
- Simon B, Lee SJ, Partridge AH, Runowicz CD (2005). Preserving fertility after cancer. CA: A Can J Clin, 55, 211-28. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.4.211
- Stilos K, Doyle C, Daines P (2008). Addressing the sexual health needs of patients with gynecologic cancers. Clin J Oncol Nurs, 12, 457-63. https://doi.org/10.1188/08.CJON.457-463
- Taylor B, Davis S (2006). Using the extended PLISSIT model to address sexual healthcare needs. Nurs Stand, 21, 35-40.
- Wenzel L, VergoteI, Cella D (2003). Quality of life in patients receiving treatment for gynecologic malignancies: special considerations for patient care. Int J Gynecol Obstet, 83, 211-29.
- Yilmaz C, Eryilmaz H (2004). Validity/reliability study of female sexual function index (IFSF). Androloji Bulteni, 18, 275-6.