- Volume 15 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Breast Cancer and Levels of Serum Thyroid Hormones and Antibodies: a Meta-analysis
- Shi, Xin-Zhu (Institute of Iodine Deficiency Disorders, Center for Endemic Disease Control, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Harbin Medical University) ;
- Jin, Xing (Institute of Iodine Deficiency Disorders, Center for Endemic Disease Control, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Harbin Medical University) ;
- Xu, Peng (Institute of Iodine Deficiency Disorders, Center for Endemic Disease Control, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Harbin Medical University) ;
- Shen, Hong-Mei (Institute of Iodine Deficiency Disorders, Center for Endemic Disease Control, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Harbin Medical University)
- Published : 2014.08.30
The breast and the thyroid are hormone responsive organs that are closely related with changes of endocrine function and glandular disease. An association between thyroid disorders and breast cancer (BC) risk has been suggested, although the results are inconclusive. The purpose of the present study was to summarize evidence supporting a relationship between BC and the level of thyroid hormones and antibodies. The MEDLINE and EMBASE electronic databases were searched for studies published between 2000 and 2014. The pooled effects were presented as weighted mean differences (WMD) with 95% confidence intervals (CI) using fixed or random effect models. We summarized the results of 8 cross-sectional studies with 4, 189 participants. The overall pooled results showed that the levels of
Breast cancer;serum thyroid hormones;thyroid antibodies
- Ali AM, Mir R, Bashir S, et al (2011). Relationship between the levels of serum thyroid hormones and the risk of breast cancer. J Biology Agriculture Healthcare, 1, 56-9.
- Altman DG (1998). Sbe24: metan-an alternative meta-analysis command. Stata Tech Bull Reprints, 8, 86-100.
- Altman DG (2001). Systematic reviews of evaluations of prognostic variables. BMJ, 323, 224-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.323.7306.224
- Begg CB, Mazumdar M (1994). Operating characteristics of a rank correlation test for publication bias. Biometrics, 50, 1088-101. https://doi.org/10.2307/2533446
- Biondi B, Cooper DS (2008). The clinical significance of subclinical thyroid dysfunction. Endocr Rev, 29, 76-131. https://doi.org/10.1210/er.2006-0043
- Cengiz O, Bozkurt B, Unal B, et al (2004). The relationship between prognostic factors of breast cancer and thyroid disorders in Turkish women. J Surg Oncol, 87, 19-25. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.20071
- Colditz GA, Burdick E, Mosteller F (1995). Heterogeneity in meta-analysis of data from epidemiologic studies: a commentary. Am J Epidemiol, 142, 371-82.
- Dai G, Levy O, Carrasco N (1996). Cloning and characterization of the thyroid iodide transporter. Nature, 379, 458-60. https://doi.org/10.1038/379458a0
- DerSimonian R, Laird N (1986). Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials, 7, 177-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-2456(86)90046-2
- Dinda S, Sanchez A, Moudgil V (2002). Estrogen-like effects of thyroid hormone on the regulation of tumor suppressor proteins, p53 and retinoblastoma, in breast cancer cells. Oncogene, 21, 761-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1205136
- Ditsch N, Liebhardt S, Von Koch F, et al (2010). Thyroid function in breast cancer patients. Anticancer Res, 30, 1713-7.
- Egger M, Smith GD, Schneider M, Minder C (1997). Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. BMJ, 315, 629-34. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.315.7109.629
- Farahati J, Roggenbuck D, Gilman E, et al (2012). Anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies are associated with the absence of distant metastases in patients with newly diagnosed breast cancer. Clin Chem Lab Med, 50, 709-14.
- Giustarini E, Pinchera A, Fierabracci P, et al (2006). Thyroid autoimmunity in patients with malignant and benign breast diseases before surgery. Eur J Endocrinol, 154, 645-9. https://doi.org/10.1530/eje.1.02108
- Harris RJ, Bradburn MJ, Deeks JJ, et al (2008). metan: fixed-and random-effects meta-analysis. Stata J, 8, 3-28.
- Hellevik AI, Asvold BO, Bjoro T, et al (2009). Thyroid function and cancer risk: a prospective population study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 18, 570-4. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-08-0911
- Higgins JP, Thompson SG (2002). Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis. Stat Med, 21, 1539-58. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.1186
- Kogai T, Curcio F, Hyman S, et al (2000). Induction of follicle formation in long-term cultured normal human thyroid cells treated with thyrotropin stimulates iodide uptake but not sodium/iodide symporter messenger RNA and protein expression. J Endocrinol, 167, 125-35. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1670125
- Kuijpens JL, Nyklictek I, Louwman MW, et al (2005). Hypothyroidism might be related to breast cancer in postmenopausal women. Thyroid, 15, 1253-9. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2005.15.1253
- Mittal A, Poudel B, Pandeya DR, et al (2012). Metabolic changes enhance the cardiovascular risk with differentiated thyroid carcinoma a case control study from Manipal Teaching Hospital of Nepal. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2335-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2335
- Nogueira CR, Brentani MM (1996). Triiodothyronine mimics the effects of estrogen in breast cancer cell lines. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol, 59, 271-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-0760(96)00117-3
- Prinzi N, Baldini E, Sorrenti S, et al (2014). Prevalence of breast cancer in thyroid diseases: results of a cross-sectional study of 3, 921 patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 144, 683-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-014-2893-y
- Saito T, Endo T, Kawaguchi A, et al (1997). Increased expression of the Na+/I- symporter in cultured human thyroid cells exposed to thyrotropin and in Graves' thyroid tissue. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 82, 3331-6.
- Saraiva PP, Figueiredo NB, Padovani CR, et al (2005). Profile of thyroid hormones in breast cancer patients. Braz J Med Biol Res, 38, 761-5.
- Simon MS, Tang MT, Bernstein L, et al (2002). Do thyroid disorders increase the risk of breast cancer? Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 11, 1574-8.
- Smyth P, Smith D, Dermott EM, et al (1996). A direct relationship between thyroid enlargement and breast cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 81, 937-41.
- Stroup DF, Berlin JA, Morton SC, et al (2000). Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology (MOOSE) group. JAMA, 283, 2008-12. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.283.15.2008
- Szychta P, Szychta W, Gesing A, et al (2013). TSH receptor antibodies have predictive value for breast cancerretrospective analysis. Thyroid Res, 6, 8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-6614-6-8
- Tazebay UH, Wapnir IL, Levy O, et al (2000). The mammary gland iodide transporter is expressed during lactation and in breast cancer. Nat Med, 6, 871-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/78630
- Turken O, NarIn Y, DemIrbas S, et al (2003). Breast cancer in association with thyroid disorders. Breast Cancer Res, 5, 110-3. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr609
- Uyeturk U, Tatli AM, Gucuk S, et al (2013). Risk factors for stage IV breast cancer at the time of presentation in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7445-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7445
- Vadiveloo T, Donnan PT, Cochrane L, Leese GP (2011). The Thyroid Epidemiology, Audit, and Research Study (TEARS): the natural history of endogenous subclinical hyperthyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 96, 1-8.
- Vanderpump MP (2011). The epidemiology of thyroid disease. Br Med Bull, 99, 39-51. https://doi.org/10.1093/bmb/ldr030
- Weiss HA, Brinton LA, Potischman NA, et al (1999). Breast cancer risk in young women and history of selected medical conditions. Int J Epidemiol, 28, 816-23. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/28.5.816
- Thyroid Autoantibodies and Breast Cancer vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10999
- Immunosignature: Serum Antibody Profiling for Cancer Diagnostics vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4833
- COMMENTARY ON “STUDY OF THE PREVALENCE OF AUTOIMMUNE THYROID DISEASE IN WOMEN WITH BREAST CANCER” vol.22, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4158/EP151035.CO
- The thyroid and breast cancer vol.23, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/MED.0000000000000273
- Thyroid Autoimmunity: Role of Anti-thyroid Antibodies in Thyroid and Extra-Thyroidal Diseases vol.8, pp.1664-3224, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2017.00521
- Overexpression of modified human TRβ1 suppresses the growth of hepatocarcinoma SK-hep1 cells in vitro and in xenograft models pp.1573-4919, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11010-018-3357-1