- Volume 15 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Fungal Taxol Extracted from Cladosporium oxysporum Induces Apoptosis in T47D Human Breast Cancer Cell Line
- Raj, Kathamuthu Gokul (Department of Molecular Microbiology, School of Biotechnology, Madurai Kamaraj University) ;
- Sambantham, Shanmugam (Department of Genetics, Dr. ALMPGIBMS, University of Madras) ;
- Manikanadan, Ramar (Department of Zoology, University of Madras) ;
- Arulvasu, Chinnansamy (Department of Zoology, University of Madras) ;
- Pandi, Mohan (Department of Molecular Microbiology, School of Biotechnology, Madurai Kamaraj University)
- Published : 2014.08.30
Purpose: The present study concerns molecular mechanisms involved in induction of apoptosis by a fungal taxol extracted from the fungus Cladosporium oxysporum in T47D human breast cancer cells. Materials and Methods: Apoptosis-induced by the fungal taxol was assessed by MTT assay, nuclear staining, DNA fragmentation, flow cytometry and pro- as well as anti-apoptotic protein expression by Western blotting. Results: Our results showed inhibition of T47D cell proliferation with an
Fungal taxol;apoptosis;DNA fragmentation;DNA damage;NF-
- Alabsi AM, Ali R, Ali Am, et al (2013). Induction of caspase-9, biochemical assessment and morphological changes caused by apoptosis in cancer cells treated with Goniothalamin extracted from Goniothalamus macrophyllus. Asian J cancer Pre, 14, 6273-80. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6273
- American Cancer Society. Breast cancer facts and figures 2011- 2012. Atlanta: American cancer society, Inc.
- Antonsson B, Montessuit S, Sanchez B, Martinou JC (2001). Bax is present as a high molecular weight oligomer/complex in the mitochondrial membrane of apoptotic cells. J Biol Chem, 276, 11615-23. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M010810200
- Antosiewicz HA, Singh SV (2004). Signal transduction pathways leading to cell cycle arrest and apoptosis induction in cancer cells by allium vegetable-derived organosulfur compounds: a review. Mutat Res, 555, 121-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrfmmm.2004.04.016
- Arkin M (2005). Protein-protein interactions and cancer: small molecules going in for the kill. Curr Opin Chem Biol, 9, 317-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpa.2005.03.001
- BachrachYZ (2012).Contribution of selected medicinal plants for cancer prevention and therapy. Scientific J Faculty of Medicine Nis, 29, 117-23.
- Cai SX, Drewe J, Kasibhatla S (2006). A chemical genetics approach for the discovery of apoptosis inducers: from phenotypic cell based hts assay and structure-activity relationship studies, to identification of potential anticancer agents and molecular targets. Curr Med Chem, 13, 2627-44. https://doi.org/10.2174/092986706778201521
- Chang GC, Hsu SL, Tsai JR, et al (2004). Molecular mechanisms of ZD1839-induced G1-cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human lung adenocarcinoma A549 cells. Biochem Pharmacol, 68, 1453-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2004.06.006
- Chen WY, Wu CC, Lan YH, et al (2005). Goniothalamin induces cell cycle-specific apoptosis by modulating the redox status in MDA-MB-231 cells. Eur J Pharmacol, 522, 20-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2005.08.047
- Cohen JJ (1993). Apoptosis: the physiologic pathway of cell death. Hosp Pract, 28, 35-43.
- DeVita VT Jr, Hellman S, Rosenberg SA (1997). Cancer. Principles and practice of oncology. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott-Raven Publishers, 5th edn. pp. 103-119.
- Doonan F, Cotter XM (2008). Morphological assessment of apoptosis. Methods, 200-4.
- Elmore S (2007). Apoptosis: a review of programmed cell death. Toxicol Pathol, 35, 495-516. https://doi.org/10.1080/01926230701320337
- Eskes R, Antonsson B, Osen-Sand A, et al (1998). Bax-induced cytochrome c release from mitochondria is independent of the permeability transition pore but highly dependent on Mg2+ ions. J Cell Biol, 143, 217-24. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.143.1.217
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Jurgensmeier JM, Xie Z, Deveraux Q, et al (1998). Bax directly induces release of cytochrome c from isolated mitochondria. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 95, 4997-5002. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.95.9.4997
- Kajimoto S, Takanashi N, Kajimoto T, et al (2002) Sophoranone, extracted from a traditional Chinese medicine Shan Dou Gen, induces apoptosis in human leukemia U937 cells via formation of reactive oxygen species and opening of mitochondrial permeability transition pores. Int J Cancer, 99, 879-90. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10414
- Kathiravan G, Sureban SM (2010). Effect of taxol from Pestalotiopsis mangiferae on A549 cells in-vitro study. J Basic and Clinical Pharmacy, 1, 1-8.
- Kumaran RS, Muthumary J, Hur BK (2009) Isolation and identification of an anticancer drug, taxol from Phyllosticta tabernaemontanae, a leaf spot fungus of an angiosperm, Wrightia tinctoria. J Microbiol, 47, 40-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12275-008-0127-x
- Li T, Xu WS, Wu GS, et al (2014). Platycodin D induces apoptosis, and inhibits adhesion, migration and invasion in HepG2 hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1745-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1745
- Liu D, Huang Z (2011). Synthetic peptides and non-peptidic molecules as probes of structure and function of Bcl-2 family proteins and modulators of apoptosis. Apoptosis, 6, 453-62.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RY (1951). Protein measurement with the folin-phenol reagent. J Biol Chem, 193, 265-75.
- Majno G, Joris I (1995). Apoptosis, Oncosis, and Necrosis An overview of cell death. Am J Pathol, 146, 3-15.
- Merlin NJ, Parthasarathy V, Santhoshkumar TR (2010). Induction of apoptosis in human breast cancer cell line MCF-7 by phytochemicals from Gmelina asiatica. Afr J Biotechnol, 9, 4451-6.
- Mohsin SK, Weiss HL, Gutierrez MC, et al (2005) Neoadjuvant trastuzumab induces apoptosis in primary breast cancers. J Clin Oncol, 23, 2460-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.00.661
- Mosmann T (1983). Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods, 65, 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(83)90303-4
- Orr GA, Verdier-Pinard P, McDaid H, Horwitz SB (2003). Mechanisms of taxol resistance related to microtubules. Oncogene, 22, 7280-95. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1206934
- Pandi M, Kumaran RS, Choi YK, Kim HJ, Muthumary J (2011) Isolation and detection of taxol, an anticancer drug produced from Lasiodiplodia theobromae, an endophytic fungus of the medicinal plant Morinda citrifolia. Afr J Biotechnol, 10, 1428-35.
- Roos WP, Kaina B (2006). DNA damage-induced cell death by apoptosis. Trends Mol Med, 12, 440-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molmed.2006.07.007
- Rosse T, Olivier R, Monney L, Rager M, Conus S, Fellay I, Jansen B, Borner C (1998). Nature, 391, 496-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/35160
- Sambantham S, Radha M, Paramasivam A, et al (2013). Molecular mechanism underlying hesperetin-induced apoptosis by in silico analysis and in prostate cancer PC-3 cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4347-52. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4347
- Schiff PB, Fant J, Horwitz SB (1979). Promotion of microtubules assembly in-vitro by taxol. Nature, 277, 665-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/277665a0
- Steinhoff J, Classen M, Padmavathi PVL, Ishikawa T, Zeth K, Steinhoff HJ, Bordignon E (2010). Oligomerization, and membrane insertion molecular details of bax activation. J Biol Chem. 285, 6636-47. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M109.081539
- Van de Loosdrecht AA, Beelen RH, Ossenkoppele GJ, Broekhoven MG, Langenhuijsen MM (1994). A tetrazoliumbased colorimetric MTT assay to quantitate human monocyte mediated cytotoxicity against leukemic cells from cell lines and patients with acute myeloid leukemia. J Immunol Methods, 174, 311-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(94)90034-5
- Varol U, Yildiz I, Alacacioglu A, Uslu R (2014) Anticancer therapy for breast cancer patients with skin metastases refractory to conventional treatments. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1885-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1885
- Vennila R, Thirunavukkarasu SV, Muthumary J (2010) Evaluation of fungal taxol isolated from an endophytic fungus Pestalotiopsis pauciseta VM1 against experimentally induced breast cancer in sprague dawely rats. Res J pharmacol, 4, 38-44. https://doi.org/10.3923/rjpharm.2010.38.44
- Wan HF, Yu LH, Wu JL, et al (2013). Effect of diallyl trisulfide on human ovarian cancer SKOV- 3/DDP cell apoptosis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7197-201. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7197
- Wani MC, Taylor HL, Wall ME, Coggon P, McPhail AT (1971). Plant antitumor agents VI: The isolation and structure of taxol, a novel antilekemic and antitumor agent from Taxus brevifolia. J Am Chem Soc, 93, 2325-27. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja00738a045
- Xu ZX, Liang J, Haridas V, et al (2007). A plant triterpenoid, avicin D, induces autophagy by activation of AMP-activated protein kinase. Cell Death Differ, 14, 1948-57. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.cdd.4402207
- Yang JK (2008). FLIP as an anti-cancer therapeutic target. Yonsei Med J, 49, 19-27. https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2008.49.1.19
- Yeung TK, Germond C, Chen X, Wang Z (1999). The mode of action of taxol: Apoptosis at low concentration and necrosis at high concentration. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 263, 398-404. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1999.1375
- Zhang LL, Wu J, Liu Q, et al (2014). MiR-886-5p inhibition inhibits growth and induces apoptosis of MCF7 cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1511-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1511
- Taxol Produced from Endophytic Fungi Induces Apoptosis in Human Breast, Cervical and Ovarian Cancer Cells vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.125
- Nuclear DNA Damage and Repair in Normal Ovarian Cells Caused by Epothilone B vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6535
- Isolation of Taxol-Producing Endophytic Fungi from Iranian Yew Through Novel Molecular Approach and Their Effects on Human Breast Cancer Cell Line vol.74, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00284-017-1231-0
- is identified within oral squamous-cell carcinomas vol.9, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/20002297.2017.1385369