- Volume 15 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Five Year Survival of Women with Breast Cancer in Yazd
- Fallahzadeh, Hossein (Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Research Center of Prevention and Epidemiology of Non-Communicable Disease, Faculty of Health, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Momayyezi, Mahdieh (Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Research Center of Prevention and Epidemiology of Non-Communicable Disease, Faculty of Health, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Akhundzardeini, Razie (Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Research Center of Prevention and Epidemiology of Non-Communicable Disease, Faculty of Health, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Zarezardeini, Sadegh (Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Research Center of Prevention and Epidemiology of Non-Communicable Disease, Faculty of Health, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2014.08.30
Background: Cancer is a non-communicable disease that is considered deadly in many cases. In recent years, the mortality rates from breast cancer have increased with increasing incidences. The present study was conducted to determine five year survival of women with breast cancer in Yazd, in the central region of Iran. Materials and Methods: In a prospective study, data were obtained from the patient's medical records with breast cancer that were referred to the Shahid Sadoughi hospital and radiotherapy center from 2002-2007 and followed up for 5 years. The data collected were analyzed by SPSS/16 and Kaplan-Meyer test and log-rank test and Cox proportional hazard model was used. Results: The mean age of breast cancer diagnosis was
Breast cancer;survival rate;risk factors;Yazd
- Abdullah NA, Wan Mahiyuddin WR, Muhammad NA, et al (2013). Survival rate of breast cancer patients in Malaysia: a population-based study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4591-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4591
- Afsharfard A, Mozaffar M, Orang E, Tahmasbpour E (2013). Trends in epidemiology, clinical and histopathological characteristics of breast cancer in Iran: results of a 17 year study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6905-11. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6905
- Akbari ME, Mirzaei, Soori H (2006). 5 year survival of breast cancer in shohada-e-tajrish and jorjani hospitals, HAKIM, 9, 39-44.
- Akbari ME, Khayamzadeh M, Khoshnevis SJ, et al (2008). Five and ten years survival in breast cancer patients mastectomies vs breast conserving surgeries personal experience. IJCP, 1, 53-6.
- Arab M, Noghabaei G, Kazemi SN (2014). Comparison of crude and age-specific incidence rates of breast, ovary, endometrium and cervix cancers in Iran, 2005. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2461-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2461
- Bland KI, Beenken SW, Copeland EM, et al (2005). Schwartz's Principles of Surgery. 8th ed, New York: McGraw-Hill, 453-99.
- Clayforth C, Fritschi L, McEvoy SP, et al (2007). Five-year survival from breast cancer in Western Australia over a decade. Breast, 16, 375-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2007.01.010
- Fallahzadeh H(2010). Quality of life after the menopause in Iran: a population study. Qual Life Res, 19, 813-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-010-9644-2
- Fisch T, Pury P, Probst N, et al (2005). Variation in survival after diagnosis of breast cancer in Switzerland. Ann Oncol, 16, 1882-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdi404
- Fouladi N, Amani F, Harghi AS, et al (2011). Five year survival of women with breast cancer in Ardabil, North - West of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1799-801.
- Gajalakshmi CK, Shanta V, Swaminathan R, et al (1997). A population-based survival study on female breast cancer in Madras, India. Br J Cancer, 75, 771-5. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1997.137
- Gohari MR, Mahmoudi M, Kazem M, et al (2006). Recurrence in breast cancer analysis with frailty model. Saudi Med J, 27, 1187-93.
- Holleczek B, Brenner H (2012). Trends of population-based breast cancer survival in Germany and the US: decreasing discrepancies, but persistent survival gap of elderly patients in Germany. BMC Cancer, 12, 317. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-12-317
- Iglehart JD, Kaelin CM (2001). Diseases of the breast. In: Townsend CM, editor. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery, The Biological Basis Of Modern Surgical Practice, 6th ed, Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 555-559.
- Landis SH, Murray T, Bolden SH, et al (1998). Cancer statistics, Cancer, 48, 6-30.
- Lv M, Li B, Li Y, et al (2011). Predictive role of molecular subtypes in response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients in Northeast China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2411-7.
- Mousavi SM, Montazeri A, Mohagheghi MA, et al (2007). Breast cancer in Iran: an epidemiological review, Breast J, 13, 383-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4741.2007.00446.x
- Mousavi SM, Mohagheghi MA, Mousavi Jerrahi A, et al (2008). Outcome of breast cancer in Iran: a study of Tehran center registry data. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 275-78.
- Najafi B, Anvari S, Roshan ZA (2013). Disease free survival among molecular subtypes of early stage breast cancer between 2001 and 2010 in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5811-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5811
- Parkin DM, Fernandez LM (2006). Use of statistics to assess the global burden of breast cancer. Breast J, 12, 70-80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1075-122X.2006.00205.x
- Sajadi A, Gregory H, Bajdik CH, et al (2009). Comparison of breast cancer survival in two populations: Ardabil, Iran and British Columbia, Canada. BMC Cancer, 9, 381-86. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-9-381
- Saki A, Hajizadeh E, Tehranian N (2011). Evaluating the risk factors of breast cancer using the analysis of tree models. J Gonabad Uni Med Sci, 17, 60-9.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2012). Cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 62, 10-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20138
- Smigal C, Jemal A, Ward E, et al (2006). Trends in breast cancer by race and ethnicity: update 2006. CA Cancer J Clin, 56, 168-83. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.56.3.168
- Sreedevi A, Quereshi MA, Kurian B, et al (2014). Screening for breast cancer in a low middle income country: predictors in a rural area of Kerala, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1919-24. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.1919
- Thomson CS, Brewster DH, Dewar JA, et al (2004). Scottish cancer therapy network, improvements in survival for women with breast cancer in Scotland between 1987 and 1993: impact of earlier diagnosis and changes in treatment. Eur J Cancer, 40, 743-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2003.08.029
- Tomatis L, Aitio A, Day NE, et al (1990). Cancer: Causes, Occurrence and Control. Lyon, International Agency for Research on Cancer. IARC Sci, 100, 69-71.
- Peltzer K, Phaswana-Mafuya N (2014). Breast and cervical cancer screening and associated factors among older adult women in South Africa. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2473-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2473
- Vahdaninia M, Harirchi A.M, Montazeri A (2003). Five-year survival in Iranian breast cancer patients: a prospective study. PAYESH, 2, 141-8.
- Vahdaninia M, Montazeri A (2004). Breast cancer in Iran: a survival analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 5, 223-25.
- Webb PM, Cummings MC, Bain CJ, et al (2004). Changes in survival after breast cancer: improvements in diagnosis or treatment. Breast, 13, 7-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-9776(03)00129-2
- Yaghmaei S, Bani Hashemi G, Ghorbani R (2008). Survival rate following treatment of primary breast cancer in Semnan, Iran (1991-2002). Semnan Uni Med Sci, 9, 111-7
- Demographic Survey of Four Thousand Patients with 10 Common Cancers in North Eastern Iran over the Past Three Decades vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10193
- Advances in Optimal Detection of Cancer by Image Processing; Experience with Lung and Breast Cancers vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5613
- The Spectrum of Genetic Mutations in Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2177
- Survival Rates for Breast Cancer in Iranian Patients: a Meta-Analysis vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2223