- Volume 15 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Chemopreventive Activity of Turmeric Essential Oil and Possible Mechanisms of Action
- Liju, Vijayasteltar Belsamma (Department of Biochemistry, Amala Cancer Research Centre) ;
- Jeena, Kottarapat (Department of Biochemistry, Amala Cancer Research Centre) ;
- Kuttan, Ramadasan (Department of Biochemistry, Amala Cancer Research Centre)
- Published : 2014.08.30
This study aimed to evaluate the antimutagenic and anticarcinogenic activity of turmeric essential oil as well as to establish biochemical mechanisms of action. Antimutagenicity testing was accomplished using strains and known mutagens with and without microsomal activation. Anticarcinogenic activity was assessed by topical application of 7, 12 - dimethylbenz[a]anthracene (DMBA) as initiator and 1% croton oil as promoter for the induction of skin papillomas in mice. Inhibition of p450 enzymes by TEO was studied using various resorufins and aminopyrene as substrate. Turmeric essential oil (TEO) showed significant antimutagenic activity (p<0.001) against direct acting mutagens such as sodium azide (
Antimutagenicity;turmeric essential oil;dimethylbenz[a]anthracene;cytochrome p450
- Agrawal RC, Sonam P (2009). Evaluation of anticarcinogenic and antimutagenic potential of Bauhinia variegata extract in Swiss albino mice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 913-6.
- Ames BN (1983). Dietary carcinogens and anticarcinogens. Oxygen radicals and degenerative diseases. Science, 221, 1256-64. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.6351251
- Ames BN, Mccann J, Yamasaki E (1975). Methods for detecting carcinogens and mutagens with the Salmonella/mammalianmicrosome mutagenicity test. Mutat Res, 31, 347-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1161(75)90046-1
- Ames BN, Shigenaga MK, Hagen TM (1993). Oxidants, antioxidants, and the degenerative diseases of aging. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 90, 7915-22. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.90.17.7915
- Anqus WG, Larsen MC, Jefcoate CR (1999). Expression of CYP1A1 and CYP 1B1 depends on cell-specific factors in human breast cancer cell lines: role of estrogen receptor status. Carcinogenesis, 20, 947-55. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/20.6.947
- Arya P, Kumar M (2011). Chemoprevention by Triticum aestivativum of mucus skin carcinogenesis induced by DMBA and croton oil association with oxidative status. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 143-8.
- Baik KU, Jung SH, Ahn BZ (1993). Recognition of pharmacophore of ar-turmerone for its anticancer activity. Arch Pharmacal Res, 16, 254-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02974492
- Buters JT, Sakai S, Richter T, et al (1999). Cytchrome p450 CYP1B1 determines susceptibility to 7, 12-dimethylbenz[a] anthracene lymphomas. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 96, 1977-82. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.96.5.1977
- Cheng SC, Prakash AS, Pigott MA, et al (1988). Characterization of 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene- adenine nucleoside adducts. Chem Res Toxicol, 1, 216-21. https://doi.org/10.1021/tx00004a005
- Clark SF (2002). The biochemistry of antioxidants revisited. Nutr Clin Pract, 17, 5-17. https://doi.org/10.1177/011542650201700105
- Deepa DA, Anita B, Sreelatha KT (2010). Comparative study of the efficacy of curcumin and turmeric oil as chemopreventive agents in oral submucous fibrosis: a clinical and histopathological evaluation. JIAOMR, 22, 88-92. https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10011-1021
- Firdous AP, Sindhu ER, Ramnath V, Kuttan R (2010). Antimutagenic and anticarcinogenic potential of the carotenoid meso-zeaxanthin. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1795-800.
- Funk JL, Frye JB, Oyarzo JN, Zhang H, Timmermann BN (2010). Anti-Arthritic effects and toxicity of the essential oils of turmeric (Curcuma longa L). J Agric Food Chem, 58, 842-9. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9027206
- Hamizah S, Roslida AH, Fezah O, Tank L (2012). Chemopreventive potential of Annona murieata L leaves on chemically induced skin papillomagenesis in mice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2533-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2533
- Hastak K, Lubri N, Jakhi SD, et al (1997). Effect of turmeric oil and turmeric oleoresin on cytogenetic damage in patients suffering from oral submucous fibrosis. Cancer Lett, 116, 265-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(97)00205-X
- Ipek E, Zeytinoglu H, Okay S, et al (2005). Genotoxicity and antigenotoxicity of origanum oil and carvacrol evaluated by Ames Salmonella/microsomal test. Food Chem, 93, 551-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.12.034
- Kaur S, Grover IS, Singh M, Kaur S (1998). Antimutagenicity of hydrolyzable tannins from Terminalia chebula in Salmonella typhimurium. Mutat Res, 419, 169-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5718(98)00130-2
- Kawajiri K, Ikuta T (1999). Regulatory mechanism of phase I drug-metabolizing enzymes. Tanqakushitsu Kakusan Koso, 44, 2377-83.
- Liju VB, Jeena K, Kuttan R (2011). An evaluation of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive activities of essential oils from curcuma longa. Indian J Pharmacol, 43, 526-31. https://doi.org/10.4103/0253-7613.84961
- Liju VB, Jeean K, Kuttan R (2013). Acute and subchronic toxicity as well as mutagenic evaluation of essential oil from turmeric (Curcuma longa L). Food Chem Toxicol, 53, 52-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2012.11.027
- Lucchesi P, Carraway M, Marinus MG (1986). Analysis of forward mutations induced by N-methyl-N-nitro-Nnitrosoguanidine in the bacteriophage P22 mnt repressor gene. J Bacteriol, 166, 34-7.
- Manosroi J, Dhumtanom P, Manosroi A (2006). Anti-proliferative activity of essential oil extracted from Thai medicinal plants on KB and P388 cell lines. Cancer Lett, 235, 114-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2005.04.021
- Maron DM, Ames BN (1983). Revised methods for Salmonella mutagenicity test. Mut Res, 113, 173-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1161(83)90010-9
- Matsuyama M, Suzuki H, Nakamura T (1970). Leiomyosarcomas induced by oral administration of N-methyl-Nnitrosoguanidine in gastric cyst grafted in subcutaneous tissue of mice. Gann, 61, 523-7.
- Mazel P (1971). Experiments illustrating drug metabolism in vitro. In 'Fundamentals of Drug Metabolism and Drug Disposition', Eds La Du BN, Mandel H, Way EL. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore pp 546-52.
- Negi PS, Jayaprakasha GK, Jagan Mohan RL, Sakariah KK (1999). Antibacterial activity of turmeric oil: a byproduct from curcumin manufacture. J Agric Food Chem, 47, 4297-300. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf990308d
- Nerurkar PV, Park SS, Thomas PE, Nims RW, Lubet RA (1993). Methoxyresorufin and benzyloxy resorufin: substrates preferentially metabolized by cytochromes p450 1A2 and 2B respectively in the rat and mouse. Biochem Pharmacol, 46, 933-43.
- Piengchai K, Anong T, Nopsaran T, et al (2011). Anticlastogenic and anticarcinogenic potential of thai bitter gourd fruits. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1299-05.
- Pohl RJ, Fouts JR (1980). A rapid method for assaying the metabolism of 7-ethoxyresorufin by microsomal subcellular fractions. Anal Biochem, 107, 150-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(80)90505-9
- Shankel DM, Huo S, Haines C, Mitscher LA (1993). Extracellular interception of mutagens. Basic Life Sci, 61, 65-74.
- Sharma V, Paliwal R, Janmeda P, Sharma S (2012). Chemopreventive efficacy of Moringa oleifera pods against 7, 12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene induced hepatic carcinogenesis in mice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2563-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2563
- Sulaiman H, Roslida AH, Fezah O, et al (2012). Chemopreventive potential of Annona muricata l leaves on chemically-induced skin papillomagenesis in mice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2533-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2533
- Thorgeirsson SS, Nebert DW (1977). The Ah locus and the metabolism of chemical carcinogens and other foreign compounds. Adv Cancer Res, 25, 149-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-230X(08)60634-X
- Water MD, Stack HF, Jackson MA, Brockman HE, De Flora S (1996). Activity profiles of antimutagens: in vitro and in vivo data. Mutat Res, 350, 109-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/0027-5107(95)00097-6
- Yueh MF, Nguyen N, Famourzadeh M, et al (2001). The contribution of UDP-gluccuronosyltransferase 1A9 on CYP1A2-mediated genotoxicity by aromatic and heterocyclic amines. Carcinogenesis, 22, 943-50. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/22.6.943
- Biological Activities of Essential Oils: From Plant Chemoecology to Traditional Healing Systems vol.22, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules22010070
- Antigenotoxicity protection of Carapa guianensis oil against mitomycin C and cyclophosphamide in mouse bone marrow vol.89, pp.3 suppl, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1590/0001-3765201720150797
- -cyclodextrin thymol inclusion complexes prepared by microwave technology: A required approach to a successful application in food industry pp.00225142, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.9307