- Volume 15 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Reliability and Validity of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test - Consumption in Screening for Adults with Alcohol Use Disorders and Risky Drinking In Japan
- Osaki, Yoneatsu (Division of Environmental and Preventive Medicine, Tottori University, Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Ino, Aro (Kasumigaura Clinic) ;
- Matsushita, Sachio (National Hospital Organization, Kurihama Medical and Addiction Center) ;
- Higuchi, Susumu (National Hospital Organization, Kurihama Medical and Addiction Center) ;
- Kondo, Yoko (Division of Environmental and Preventive Medicine, Tottori University, Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Kinjo, Aya (Division of Environmental and Preventive Medicine, Tottori University, Faculty of Medicine)
- Published : 2014.08.30
Background: Alcohol is well established as a risk factor for cancer development in many organ sites. To assess the reliability and validity of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test - Consumption (AUDIT-C) for detecting alcohol use disorders or risky drinking in Japanese adults the present study was conducted. Materials and Methods: A test-retest method was applied with a 2-week interval with 113 health care employees. The k coefficient, Cronbach's coefficient alpha, Spearman's correlation coefficient, and intraclass correlation coefficient (ICC) were determined and the validity of the AUDIT-C was analyzed using the data from a nationwide survey on adult alcohol use conducted in 2008 (n=4,123). Results: The reliability of the AUDIT-C score was high (
AUDIT-C;alcohol use disorders;alcohol use disorders identification test;screening;risk drinking
Supported by : Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare
- Akobeng AK (2007). Understanding diagnostic tests 3: receiver operating characteristic curves. Acta Paediatr, 96, 644-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.2006.00178.x
- Babor TF, Higgins-Biddle JC, Saunders JB, Monteiro MG, World health organization dept of mental health and substance dependence (2001). audit: the alcohol use disorders identification test: guidelines for use in primary health care. 2nd ed. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Bradley KA, DeBenedetti AF, Volk RJ, et al (2007). AUDIT-C as a brief screen for alcohol misuse in primary care. Alcohol Clin Exp Res, 31, 1208-17. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-0277.2007.00403.x
- Bush K, Kivlahan DR, McDonell MB, Fihn SD, Bradley KA (1998). The AUDIT alcohol consumption questions (AUDIT-C): an effective brief screening test for problem drinking. ambulatory care quality improvement project (ACQUIP). Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test. Arch Intern Med, 158, 1789-95. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.158.16.1789
- Crawford EF, Fulton JJ, Swinkels CM, et al (2013). Diagnostic efficiency of the AUDIT-C in U.S. veterans with military service since September 11, 2001. Drug Alcohol Depend, 132, 101-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2013.01.012
- Dawson DA, Grant BF, Stinson FS, Zhou Y (2005). Effectiveness of the derived alcohol use disorders identification test (audit-c) in screening for alcohol use disorders and risk drinking in the US general population. Alcohol Clin Exp Res, 29, 844-54. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ALC.0000164374.32229.A2
- Dawson DA, Smith SM, Saha TD, Rubinsky AD, Grant BF (2012). Comparative performance of the AUDIT-C in screening for DSM-IV and DSM-5 alcohol use disorders. Drug Alcohol Depend, 126, 384-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2012.05.029
- de Menezes RF, Bergmann A, Thuler LC (2013). Alcohol consumption and risk of cancer: a systematic literature review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4965-72. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.4965
- Frank D, DeBenedetti AF, Volk RJ, et al (2008). Effectiveness of the AUDIT-C as a screening test for alcohol misuse in three race/ethnic groups. Gen Intern Med, 23, 781-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-008-0594-0
- Gomez A, Conde A, Santana JM, et al (2006). The diagnostic usefulness of AUDIT and AUDIT-C for detecting hazardous drinkers in the elderly. Aging Ment Health, 10, 558-61. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860600637729
- Johnson JA, Lee A, Vinson D, Seale JP (2013). Use of AUDITbased measures to identify unhealthy alcohol use and alcohol dependence in primary care: a validation study. Alcohol Clin Exp Res, 37, 253-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-0277.2012.01898.x
- Kaarne T, Aalto M, Koukkanen M, Seppa K (2010). AUDIT-C, AUDIT-3 and AUDIT-QF in screening risky drinking among Finnish occupational health-care patients. Drug Alcohol Rev, 29, 563-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1465-3362.2010.00172.x
- Kelly TM, Dnovan JE, Chung T, Bukstein OG, Cornelius JR (2009). Brief screens for detecting alcohol use disorder among 18-20 year old young adults inn emergency departments: comparing AUDIT-C, CRAFFT, RAPS4-QF, FAST, RUFT-Cut, and DSM-IV 2-item scale. Addict Behav, 34, 668-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2009.03.038
- Nordqvist C, Johansson K, Bendtsen P (2004). Routine screening for risky alcohol consumption at an emergency department using the AUDIT-C questionnaire. Drug Alcohol Depend, 74, 71-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2003.11.010
- Osaki Y, Matsushita S, Shirasaka T, Hiro H, Higuchi S (2005). Nationwide survey of alcohol drinking and alcoholism among Japanese adults. Nihon Arukoru Yakubutsu Igakkai Zasshi, 40, 455-70.
- Osaki Y, Higuchi S, Matsushita S, Kishimoto T (2012). Social costs of alcohol misuse in Japan. Japanese Journal of Hygiene, 67, 320.
- Osaki Y (2013). Trends in drinking behavior and alcoholrelated disorders in Japan. Progress I Medicine, 33, 803-7.
- Rodriguez-Martos A, Santamarina E (2007). Does the short form of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT-C) work at a trauma emergency department? Subst Use Misuse, 42, 923-32. https://doi.org/10.1080/10826080701351507
- Towers A, Stephens C, Dulin P, et al (2011). Estimating older hazardous and binge drinking prevalence using AUDIT-C and AUDIT-3 thresholds specific to older adults. Drug Alcohol Depend, 117, 211-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2011.02.008
- Tuunanen M, Aalto M, Seppa K (2007). Binge drinking and its detection among middle-aged men using AUDIT, AUDIT-C and AUDIT-3. Drug Alcohol Rev, 26, 295-299. https://doi.org/10.1080/09595230701247756
- WHO (2009). Global health risks: mortality and burden of disease attributable to selected major risks. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Yaegashi Y, Onoda T, Morioka S, et al (2014). Joint effects of smoking and alcohol drinking on esophageal cancer mortality in Japanese men: findings from the Japan collaborative cohort study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1023-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.1023
- Youden WJ (1950). Index for rating diagnostic tests. Cancer, 3, 32-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(1950)3:1<32::AID-CNCR2820030106>3.0.CO;2-3
- Health-Related Quality of Life in Korean Adults with Hearing Impairment: The Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2010 to 2012 vol.11, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0163999