- Volume 15 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Knowledge of Breast Cancer and Breast Self-Examination Practice among Iranian Women in Hamedan, Iran
- Akhtari-Zavare, Mehrnoosh (Department of Community Health, Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Ghanbari-Baghestan, Abbas (Department of Communication, Faculty of Social Science, Tehran University) ;
- Latiff, Latiffah A. (Department of Community Health, Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Matinnia, Nasrin (Department of Nursing, Faculty of basic Science, Hamedan branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Hoseini, Mozhgan (Family Health center, Hamedan university of Medical Science)
- Published : 2014.08.30
Background: In Iran, breast cancer is the most prevalent cancer in women and a major public health problem. Methods: A cross sectional study was carried out to determine knowledge on breast cancer and breast self-examination (BSE) practices of 384 females living in the city of Hamadan, Iran. A purposive sampling method was adopted and data were collected via face-to-face interviews based on a validated questionnaire developed for this study. Results: Among respondents 268 (69.8%) were married and 144 (37.5%) of the respondents reported having a family history of breast cancer. One hundred respondents (26.0%) claimed they practiced BSE. Level of breast cancer knowledge was significantly associated with BSE practice (p=0.000). There was no association with demographic details (p<0.05). Conclusion: The findings showed that Iranian women's knowledge regarding breast cancer and the practice of BSE is inadequate. Targeted education should be implemented to improve early detection of breast cancer.
Breast cancer;breast self-examination;knowledge;Iran
- Ahmadian M, Abu Samah A, Redzuan M, Emby Z (2012). Predictors of mammography screening among Iranian women attending outpatient clinics in Tehran, Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 969-74 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.969
- Akhtari-Zavare M, Muhamad HJ, Rosliza AM, Salmiah MS (2011). Knowledge on breast cancer and practice of breast self-examination among selected female university students in Malaysia. Med Health Sci J, 7, 49-56. https://doi.org/10.15208/mhsj.2011.132
- Akhtari-Zavare M, Muhamad HJ, Salmiah MS, Irmi AM (2013). Beliefs and behavior of Malaysia undergraduate female students in a public university toward breast selfexamination practice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 57-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.57
- Alipour S, Moini A, Jafari-Adli SH, Gharaie N, Mansouri KH (2012). Comparison of teaching about breast cancer via mobile or traditional learning methods in gynecology residents. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4593-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4593
- Andsoy I, Gul A (2014). Breast, cervix and colorectal cancer knowledge among nurses in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2267-72 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2267
- Canbulat N, Uzun O (2008). Health beliefs and breast cancer screening behaviors among female health workers in Turkey. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 12, 148-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2007.12.002
- Ersin F, Bahar Z (2013). Barriers and facilitating factors perceived in Turkish women's behaviors towards early cervical cancer detection: A qualitative approach. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4977-82. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.4977
- Fouladi N, Amani F, Harghi AS, Nayebyazdi N (2011). Five year survival of women with breast cancer in ardabil, north-west of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1799-801.
- Giridhara RB, Goleen S, Sharon PC, et al (2011). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1647-55.
- Gurdal SO, Saracoglu GV, Oran ES, et al (2012). The effects of educational level on breast cancer awareness: a crosssectional study in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 295-300.
- Habib F, Salman S, Safwat M, Shalaby S (2010). Awareness and knowledge of breast cancer among university students in al madina al munawara region. Middle East Journal of Cancer, 1, 159-66.
- Harirchi I, Azary S, Montazeri A, Mousavi SM, Sedighi Z, et al (2012). Literacy and breast cancer prevention: a population-based study from Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3927-30. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3927
- Heidari Z, Mahmoudzadeh-Sagheb HR, Sakhavar N (2008). Breast cancer screening knowledge and practice among women in southeast of Iran. Acta Medica Iranica, 46, 321-8.
- Isara AR, Ojedokun CI (2011). Knowledge of breast cancer and practice of breast self- examination among female senior secondary school students in Abuja, Nigeria. J Prev Med Hyg, 52, 186-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2010.11.012
- Karadag G, Gungormus Z, Surucu R, et al (2014). Awareness and practices regarding breast and cervical cancer among turkish women in gazientep. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1093-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1093
- Lamport L, Andre T (1993). AIDS knowledge and responsibility. Youth and Society, 25, 38-62. https://doi.org/10.1177/0044118X93025001003
- Loh SY, Chew SL (2011). Awareness and practice of breast selfexamination among Malaysian women with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 199-202.
- Montazeri A, Vahdaninia M, Harirchi I, et al (2008). Breast cancer in Iran: need for greater women awareness of warning signs and effective screening methods. Asia Pac Fam Med, 7, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1447-056X-7-1
- Mousavi SM, Gouya MM, Ramazani R (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Iran. Ann Oncol, 20, 556-63.
- Noroozi A, Jomand T, Tahmasebi R (2011). Determinants of breast self-examination performance among Iranian women: an application of the health belief model. J Canc Educ, 26, 365-74. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-010-0158-y
- Parsa P, Kandiah M (2005). Breast cancer knowledge, perception and breast self-examination practices among Iranian women. Int Med J, 4, 17-24.
- Parsa P, Kandiah M, Mohd Zulkefli NA, et al (2008). Knowledge and behavior regarding breast cancer screening among female teachers in Selangor, Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 221-7.
- Parsa P, Kandiah M, Parsa N (2011). Factors associated with breast self-examination among Malaysian women teachers. Eastern Mediterranean Hlth J, 17, 509-16.
- Rastad H, Khanjani N, Kalantari Khandani B (2012). Causes of delay in seeking treatment in patients with breast cancer in iran: a qualitative content analysis study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4511-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4511
- Redhwan AA, Dhekra HA, Yuri V BB, et al (2011). Practice and barriers toward breast self-examination among young Malaysian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1173-8.
- Smith RA, Cokkinides V, Brawley OW (2009). Cancer screening in the United States, 2009: a review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and issues in cancer screening. Cancer J Clin, 59, 27-41. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20008
- Suh MA, Atashili J, Fuh EA, Eta VA (2012). Breast selfexamination and breast cancer awareness in women in developing countries: a survey of women in Buea, Cameroon. BMC Res Notes, 9, 627.
- Yilmaz D, Bebis H, Ortabag T (2013). Determining the awareness of and compliance with breast cancer screening among Turkish residential women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3281-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3281
- Yurdakos K, Gulhan YB (2013). Knowledge, attitudes and behavior of women working in government hospitals regarding breast self-examination. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4829-34. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4829
- Predictors of Cancer Awareness among Older Adult Individuals in Jordan vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10927
- Knowledge of Female Undergraduate Students on Breast Cancer and Breast Self-examination in Klang Valley, Malaysia vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6231
- Health Beliefs of Nursing Faculty Students about Breast Cancer and Self Breast Examination vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7731
- Breast Cancer Prevention Information Seeking Behavior and Interest on Cell Phone and Text Use: a Cross-sectional Study in Malaysia vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1337
- The Spectrum of Genetic Mutations in Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2177
- Health Beliefs and Breast Self-Examination among Undergraduate Female Students in Public Universities in Klang Valley, Malaysia vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.4019
- Barriers to breast self examination practice among Malaysian female students: a cross sectional study vol.4, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40064-015-1491-8
- Predictors affecting breast self-examination practice among undergraduate female students in Klang Valley, Malaysia vol.41, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jog.12819
- Breast Cancer Knowledge, Perception and Breast Self-Examination Practices among Yemeni Women: an Application of the Health Belief Model vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1463
- Examination of Knowledge and Fear Levels of Breast Cancer With the Spiritual Characteristics of Nurses vol.6, pp.2296-2565, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2018.00331
- Attitudes toward mammography: questionnaire psychometric properties vol.31, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJHCQA-02-2017-0026
- Knowledge and Source of Information About Early Detection Techniques of Breast Cancer Among Women in Iran: A Systematic Review vol.23, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.15430/JCP.2018.23.1.51