- Volume 15 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Significance of Thrombocytosis in Clinicopathologic Characteristics and Prognosis of Gastric Cancer
- Li, Fang-Xuan (Department of Cancer Prevention Center, Tianjin Medical University Cancer Institute and Hospital, National Clinical Research Center for Cancer, Key Laboratory of Cancer Prevention and Therapy) ;
- Wei, Li-Juan (Department of Cancer Prevention Center, Tianjin Medical University Cancer Institute and Hospital, National Clinical Research Center for Cancer, Key Laboratory of Cancer Prevention and Therapy) ;
- Zhang, Huan (Department of Cancer Prevention Center, Tianjin Medical University Cancer Institute and Hospital, National Clinical Research Center for Cancer, Key Laboratory of Cancer Prevention and Therapy) ;
- Li, Shi-Xia (Department of Cancer Prevention Center, Tianjin Medical University Cancer Institute and Hospital, National Clinical Research Center for Cancer, Key Laboratory of Cancer Prevention and Therapy) ;
- Liu, Jun-Tian (Department of Cancer Prevention Center, Tianjin Medical University Cancer Institute and Hospital, National Clinical Research Center for Cancer, Key Laboratory of Cancer Prevention and Therapy)
- Published : 2014.08.30
Purpose: We aimed to study the relationship between thrombocytosis and clinical features of gastric cancerfocussing on platelet counts and gastric cancer progression through different TNM stages. Methods: According to the normal range of platelet count in our institution, 1,596 patients were divided to two groups: a thrombocytosis group (120 patients, >
Gastric cancer;thrombocytosis;clinical factors;prognosis
- Aliustaoglu M, Bilici A, Ustaalioglu BB, Konya V, Gucun M, et al (2010). The effect of peripheral blood values on prognosis of patients with locally advanced gastric cancer before treatment. Med Oncol, 27, 1060-65. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-009-9335-4
- Aminian A, Karimian F, Mirsharifi R, et al (2011). Significance of platelet count in esophageal carcinomas. Saudi J Gastroenterol, 17, 134-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/1319-3767.77245
- Bertozzi CC, Hess PR, Kahn ML (2010). Platelets: covert regulators of lymphatic development. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 30, 2368-71. https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.110.217281
- Buergy D, Wenz F, Groden C, Brockmann MA (2012). Tumorplatelet interaction in solid tumors. Int J Cancer, 130, 2747-60. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.27441
- Cho DS, Kim SJ, Lee SH, et al (2011). Prognostic significance of preoperative C-reactive protein elevation and thrombocytosis in patients with non-metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Korean J Urol, 52, 104-9. https://doi.org/10.4111/kju.2011.52.2.104
- Cho MS, Bottsford-Miller J, Vasquez HG, et al (2012). Platelets increase the proliferation of ovarian cancer cells. Blood, 120, 4869-72. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2012-06-438598
- Choe KS, Correa D, Jani AB, Liauw SL (2010). The use of anticoagulants improves biochemical control of localized prostate cancer treated with radiotherapy. Cancer, 116, 1820-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24890
- Folman CC, Linthorst GE, van Mourik J, et al (2000). Platelets release thrombopoietin (Tpo) upon activation: another regulatory loop in thrombocytopoiesis? Thromb Haemost, 83, 923-30.
- Gao J, Zhang HY, Xia YF (2013). Increased platelet count is an indicator of metastasis in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Tumour Biol, 34, 39-45. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-012-0508-y
- Greene FL, Sobin LH (2009). A worldwide approach to the TNM staging system: collaborative efforts of the AJCC and UICC. J Surg Oncol, 99, 269-72. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21237
- Gupta GP, Massague J (2004). Platelets and metastasis revisited: a novel fatty link. J Clin Invest, 14, 1691-3.
- Heras P, Hatzopoulos A, Kritikos N, Kritikos K (2010). Platelet count and tumor progression in gastric cancer patients. Scand J Gastroenterol, 45, 1005-6. https://doi.org/10.3109/00365521003797221
- Hwang SG, Kim KM, Cheong JH, et al (2012). Impact of pretreatment thrombocytosis on blood-borne metastasis and prognosis of gastric cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol, 38, 562-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2012.04.009
- Ikeda M, Furukawa H, Imamura H, et al (2002). Poor prognosis associated with thrombocytosis in patients with gastric cancer. Ann Surg Oncol, 9, 287-91. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02573067
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Kabir S, Daar GA (1995). Serum levels of interleukin-1, interleukin-6 and tumour necrosis factor-alpha in patients with gastric carcinoma. Cancer Lett, 95, 207-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3835(95)03895-4
- Kawai K, Kitayama J, Tsuno NH, Sunami E, Watanabe T (2012). Thrombocytosis before pre-operative chemoradiotherapy predicts poor response and shorter local recurrence-free survival in rectal cancer. Int J Colorectal Dis, 28, 527-35.
- Kuderer NM, Khorana AA, Lyman GH, Francis CW (2007). A meta-analysis and systematic review of the efficacy and safety of anticoagulants as cancer treatment: impact on survival and bleeding complications. Cancer, 110, 1149-61. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22892
- Kuenen BC, Levi M, Meijers JC, et al (2002). Analysis of coagulation cascade and endothelial cell activation during inhibition of vascular endothelial growth factor/vascular endothelial growth factor receptor pathway in cancer patients. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 22, 1500-5. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.ATV.0000030186.66672.36
- Labelle M, Begum S, Hynes RO (2011). Direct signaling between platelets and cancer cells induces an epithelialmesenchymal- like transition and promotes metastasis. Cancer Cell, 20, 576-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccr.2011.09.009
- Lee M, Kim SW, Nam EJ, et al (2011). The impact of pretreatment thrombocytosis and persistent thrombocytosis after adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol, 122, 238-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2011.04.012
- Li F, Zhang R, Liang H, Liu H, Quan J (2012). The pattern and risk factors of recurrence of proximal gastric cancer after curative resection. J Surg Oncol, 107, 130-5.
- Liu HB, Gu XL, Ma XQ, et al (2013). Preoperative platelet count in predicting lymph node metastasis and prognosis in patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Neoplasma, 60, 203-8.
- McConnell RJ, Brenner AV, Oliynyk VA, et al (2007). Factors associated with elevated serum concentrations of anti-TPO antibodies in subjects with and without diffuse goitre. Results from the Ukrainian-American Cohort Study of thyroid cancer and other thyroid diseases following the Chornobyl accident. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf), 67, 879-90. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2007.02979.x
- Mohle R, Green D, Moore MA, Nachman RL, Rafii S (1997). Constitutive production and thrombin-induced release of vascular endothelial growth factor by human megakaryocytes and platelets. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 94, 663-8. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.94.2.663
- Naschitz JE, Yeshurun D, Eldar S, Lev LM. 1996. Diagnosis of cancer-associated vascular disorders. Cancer, 77, 1759-67. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19960501)77:9<1759::AID-CNCR1>3.0.CO;2-7
- Phillips PG, Yalcin M, Cui H, et al (2011). Increased tumor uptake of chemotherapeutics and improved chemoresponse by novel non-anticoagulant low molecular weight heparin. Anticancer Res, 31, 411-9.
- Rebuffat SA, Morin M, Nguyen B, et al (2010). Human recombinant anti-thyroperoxidase autoantibodies: in vitro cytotoxic activity on papillary thyroid cancer expressing TPO. Br J Cancer, 102, 852-61. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605464
- Roselli M, Mineo TC, Basili S, et al (2003). Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF-A) plasma levels in non-small cell lung cancer: relationship with coagulation and platelet activation markers. Thromb Haemost, 89, 177-84.
- Sasaki K, Kawai K, Tsuno NH, Sunami E, Kitayama J (2012). Impact of preoperative thrombocytosis on the survival of patients with primary colorectal cancer. World J Surg, 36, 192-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-011-1329-7
- Sierko E, Wojtukiewicz MZ (2004). Platelets and angiogenesis in malignancy. Semin Thromb Hemost, 30, 95-108. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2004-822974
- Suh DH, Kim HS, Chung HH, et al (2012). Pre-operative systemic inflammatory response markers in predicting lymph node metastasis in endometrioid endometrial adenocarcinoma. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol, 162, 206-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejogrb.2012.02.028
- Unal D, Eroglu C, Kurtul N, Oguz A, Tasdemir A (2013). Are neutrophil/lymphocyte and platelet/lymphocyte rates in patients with non-small cell lung cancer associated with treatment response and prognosis? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5237-42. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5237
- van Doormaal FF, Di Nisio M, Otten HM, et al (2011). Randomized trial of the effect of the low molecular weight heparin nadroparin on survival in patients with cancer. J Clin Oncol, 29, 2071-6. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.31.9293
- Wang Y, Hu C, Dong R, Huang X, Qiu H (2011). Plateletderived growth factor-D promotes ovarian cancer invasion by regulating matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3367-70.
- Pre-treatment Elevated Platelet Count Associates with HER2 Overexpression and Prognosis in Patients with Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5537
- Prognostic Significance of Preoperative Anemia, Leukocytosis and Thrombocytosis in Chinese Women with Epithelial Ovarian Cancer vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.933
- Utility of Peripheral Blood Parameters in Predicting Breast Cancer Risk vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2409
- Resistance to multikinase inhibitor actions mediated by insulin like growth factor-1 vol.34, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13046-015-0210-1
- Prognostic value of preoperative inflammatory response biomarkers in patients with esophageal cancer who undergo a curative thoracoscopic esophagectomy vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12893-016-0179-5
- Prognostic value of hematological parameters in patients undergoing esophagectomy for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma vol.21, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10147-016-0986-9
- Paraneoplastic thrombocytosis in gastrointestinal cancer vol.27, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3109/09537104.2016.1170112
- Association of decreased mean platelet volume with renal cell carcinoma vol.22, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10147-017-1158-2
- Platelet distribution width correlates with prognosis of non-small cell lung cancer vol.7, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-03772-z
- The clinicopathological and prognostic role of thrombocytosis in patients with cancer: A meta-analysis vol.13, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2017.6054
- Clinical significance of coagulation factors in operable colorectal cancer vol.13, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2017.6058
- Prognostic value of the fibrinogen-to-platelet ratio as an inflammatory and coagulative index in patients with gastric cancer pp.1436-2813, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00595-018-1734-8
- The prognostic role of pretreatment thrombocytosis in gastric cancer vol.97, pp.31, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000011763
- The Combination of Seven Preoperative Markers for Predicting Patients with Gastric Cancer to Be Either Stage IV or Non-Stage IV vol.2018, pp.1687-630X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3450981