- Volume 15 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Correlation of Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasonographic Features with Microvessel Density in Papillary Thyroid Carcinomas
- Zhou, Qi (Department of Ultrasound, the Second Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Jiang, Jue (Department of Ultrasound, the Second Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Shang, Xu (Department of Ultrasound, the Second Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Zhang, Hong-Li (Department of Ultrasound, the Second Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Ma, Wen-Qi (Department of Ultrasound, the Second Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Xu, Yong-Bo (Department of Ultrasound, the Second Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Wang, Hua (Department of Ultrasound, the Second Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Li, Miao (Department of Ultrasound, the Second Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University)
- Published : 2014.09.15
Background: The purpose of this study was to investigate the correlation of contrast-enhanced ultrasonographic (CEUS) features with microvessel density (MVD) in papillary thyroid carcinomas (PTCs). Materials and Methods: Contrast-enhanced ultrasonography (CEUS) was performed in 62 patients (17 men and 45 women) with PTC. Tomtec software was applied to analyze the time intensity curve of CEUS. Immunohistochemistry was performed to evaluate the level of MVD in papillary thyroid carcinoma. Then the relationship between quantitative feature and the level of MVD was analyzed using SPSS 16.0 software. Results: The mean peak intensity of PTC tissues was lower than that of peripheral thyroid parenchyma (
Contrast-enhanced ultrasonography;microvessel density;papillary thyroid carcinoma
- Accurso A, Rocco N, Palumbo A , Leone F (2005). Usefulness of ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of non-palpable small thyroid nodules. Tumori, 91, 355.
- Asioli S, Erickson LA, Sebo TJ, et al (2010). Papillary thyroid carcinoma with prominent hobnail features: a new aggressive variant of moderately differentiated papillary carcinoma. A clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular study of eight cases. Am J Surg Pathol, 34, 44-52. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAS.0b013e3181c46677
- Bartolotta TV, Midiri M, Galia M, et al (2006). Qualitative and quantitative evaluation of solitary thyroid nodules with contrast-enhanced ultrasound: initial results. Eur Radiol, 16, 2234-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-006-0229-y
- Bartolotta TV, Midiri M, Quaia E, et al (2005). Liver haemangiomas undetermined at grey-scale ultrasound: contrast-enhancement patterns with SonoVue and pulseinversion US. Eur Radiol, 15, 685-93. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-004-2569-9
- Brander A, Viikinkoski P, Nickels J , Kivisaari L (1991). Thyroid gland: US screening in a random adult population. Radiology, 181, 683-7. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.181.3.1947082
- Du J, Li F-H, Fang H, et al (2008). Correlation of real-time gray scale contrast-enhanced ultrasonography with microvessel density and vascular endothelial growth factor expression for assessment of angiogenesis in breast lesions. J Ultrasound Med, 27, 821-31.
- Halpern EJ, Ramey JR, Strup SE, et al (2005). Detection of prostate carcinoma with contrast-enhanced sonography using intermittent harmonic imaging. Cancer, 104, 2373-83. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21440
- Hayashi K, Tozaki M, Sugisaki M, et al (2002). Dynamic Multislice Helical CT of ameloblastoma and odontogenic keratocyst: correlation between contrast enhancement and angiogenesis. J Comput Assist Tomogr, 26, 922-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004728-200211000-00011
- Kabakci N, Igci E, Secil M, et al (2005). Echo contrastenhanced power doppler ultrasonography for assessment of angiogenesis in renal cell carcinoma. J Ultrasound Med, 24, 747-53.
- Liotta LA, Kleinerman J, Saidel G M (1974). Quantitative relationships of intravascular tumor cells, tumor vessels, and pulmonary metastases following tumor implantation. Cancer Res, 34, 997-1004.
- Quaia E, Calliada F, Bertolotto M, et al (2004). Characterization of focal liver lesions with contrast-specific us modes and a sulfur hexafluoride-filled microbubble contrast agent: diagnostic performance and confidence1. Radiology, 232, 420-30. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2322031401
- Santacroce L, Gagliardi S, Scott Kennedy A (2009). Thyroid, papillary carcinoma. Carcinomas of Endocrine Organs (emedicine from WebMD).
- Schlemmer H-P, Merkle J, Grobholz R, et al (2004). Can preoperative contrast-enhanced dynamic MR imaging for prostate cancer predict microvessel density in prostatectomy specimens? Eur Radiol, 14, 309-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-003-2025-2
- Sedelaar JM, van Leenders GJ, Hulsbergen-van de Kaa C A, et al (2001). Microvessel density: correlation between contrast ultrasonography and histology of prostate cancer. Eur Urol, 40, 285-93. https://doi.org/10.1159/000049788
- Solbiati L, Ierace T, Tonolini M , Cova L (2004). Guidance and monitoring of radiofrequency liver tumor ablation with contrast-enhanced ultrasound. Eur J Radiol, 51, 19-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0720-048X(03)00217-1
- Tamai H, Takiguchi Y, Oka M, et al (2005). Contrast-enhanced ultrasonography in the diagnosis of solid renal tumors. J Ultrasound Med, 24, 1635-40.
- Wang B, Gao Z , Yan X (2005). Correlative study of angiogenesis and dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging features of hepatocellular carcinoma. Acta Radiologica, 46, 353-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/02841850510021247
- Wang S-F, Zhao W-H, Wang W-B, et al (2013). Clinical features and prognosis of patients with benign thyroid disease accompanied by an incidental papillary carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 707-11. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.707
- Wang Z, Tang J, An L, et al (2007). Contrast-enhanced ultrasonography for assessment of tumor vascularity in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Ultrasound Med, 26, 757-62.
- Wei X, Li Y, Zhang S, et al (2013). Evaluation of microcirculation of thyroid cancer in Chinese females with breast cancer using contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) combined with VEGF and microvessel density (MVD). Clin Hemorheol Microcirc.
- Weidner N (1998). Tumoural vascularity as a prognostic factor in cancer patients: the evidence continues to grow. J Pathol, 184, 119-22. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9896(199802)184:2<119::AID-PATH17>3.0.CO;2-D
- Wu H-X, Zhang B-J, Wang J, et al (2013). Conventional ultrasonography and real time ultrasound elastography in the differential diagnosis of degenerating cystic thyroid nodules mimicking malignancy and papillary thyroid carcinomas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 935-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.935
- Yang WT, Gary M, Lam PK, et al (2002). Correlation between color power doppler sonographic measurement of breast tumor vasculature and immunohistochemical analysis of microvessel density for the quantitation of angiogenesis. J Ultrasound Med, 21, 1227-35.
- Zhuang H, Yang Z, Chen H, et al (2012). Time-intensity curve parameters in colorectal tumours measured using double contrast-enhanced ultrasound: correlations with tumour angiogenesis. Colorectal Disease, 14, 181-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-1318.2011.02546.x
- Predicting lymph node metastasis in patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma by vascular index on power Doppler ultrasound vol.39, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.24592
- Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound Differentiation Between Low- and High- Grade Bladder Urothelial Carcinoma and Correlation With Tumor Microvessel Density vol.36, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jum.14262
- Values of ultrasound features and MMP-9 of papillary thyroid carcinoma in predicting cervical lymph node metastases vol.7, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-07118-7