- Volume 15 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Comparison of 2-Dimensional and 3-Dimensional Conformal Treatment Plans in Gastric Cancer Radiotherapy
- Adas, Yasemin Guzle (Department of Radiation Oncology, Manisa State Hospital) ;
- Andrieu, Meltem Nalca (Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical School, Ankara University) ;
- Hicsonmez, Ayse (Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical School, Ankara University) ;
- Atakul, Tugba (Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical School, Ankara University) ;
- Dirican, Bahar (Department of Radiation Oncology, Gulhane Military Medical School) ;
- Aktas, Caner (Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical School, Ankara University) ;
- Yilmaz, Sercan (Department of Radiation Oncology, Diyarbakır State Hospital) ;
- Akyurek, Serap (Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical School, Ankara University) ;
- Gokce, Saban Cakir (Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical School, Ankara University) ;
- Ergocen, Salih (Private Institution)
- Published : 2014.09.15
Background: Postoperative chemoradiotherapy is accepted as standard treatment for stage IB-IV, M0 gastric cancer. Radiotherapy (RT) planning of gastric cancer is important because of the low radiation tolerance of surrounding critical organs. The purpose of this study was to compare the dosimetric aspects of 2-dimensional (2D) and 3-dimensional (3D) treatment plans, with the twin aims of evaluating the adequacy of 2D planning fields on coverage of planning target volume (PTV) and 3D conformal plans for both covering PTV and reducing the normal tissue doses. Materials and Methods: Thirty-six patients with stage II-IV gastric adenocarcinoma were treated with adjuvant chemoradiotherapy using 3DRT. For each patient, a second 2D treatment plan was generated. The two techniques were compared for target volume coverage and dose to normal tissues using dose volume histogram (DVH) analysis. Results: 3DRT provides more adequate coverage of the target volume. Comparative DVHs for the left kidney and spinal cord demonstrate lower radiation doses with the 3D technique. Conclusions: 3DRT produced better dose distributions and reduced radiation doses to left kidney and spinal cord compared to the 2D technique. For this reason it can be predicted that 3DRT will result in better tumor control and less normal tissue complications.
Gastric cancer;radiotherapy;computer assisted radiotherapy planning;chemoradiotherapy
- Alani S, Soyfer V, Strauss N, et al (2009). Limited advantages of IMRT over 3D conformal radiation therapy in the management of gastric cancer. Int J Radiat Biol Phys, 74, 562-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2008.09.061
- Baeza MR, Giannini TO, Riviera SR, et al (2001). Adjuvan radiochemotherapy in the treatment of completely resected, locally advanced gastric cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 50, 645-50 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(01)01467-5
- Calik M, Calik I, Demirci E, et al (2014). Goseki grade and tumour location influnce survival of patients with gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1429-34. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1429
- Caudry M, Escarmant P, Maire JP, et al (1987). Radiotherapy of gastric cancer with three field combination: feasibility, tolerance and survival. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 13, 1821-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-3016(87)90347-6
- Chung HT, Lee B, Park E, et al (2008). Can all centers plan IMRT effectively? an external audit of dosimetric comparisons between three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy and imrt for adjuvan chemoradiation for gastric cancer. Int J Radiat Biol Phys, 71, 1167-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2007.11.040
- Czito BG, Palta M, Willett CG (2013). Stomach Cancer. In:Halperin EC, Perez CA, Brady LW. Perez and Brady's principles and practice of radiation oncology.6th ed.philadelphia: lippincott williams and wilkins, 1165-89.
- El-Hossiny HA, Diab NA, El-Taher MM (2009). A comparative dosimetric study of adjuvant 3D conformal radiotherapy for operable stomach cancer versus AP-PA conventional radiotherapy in NCI-Cairo. J Egypt Natl Canc Inst, 21, 197-202.
- Hazard L, O'connor J, Scaife C (2006). Role of radiation therapy in gastric carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 1511-20.
- Henning GT, Schild SE, Stafford SL, et al (2000). Results of irradiation or chemoirradiation following resection of gastric adenocarcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 46, 589-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(99)00446-0
- Leong T, Willis D, Joon DL, et al (2005). 3D Conformal radiotherapy for gastric cancer-result of a comparative planning study. Radiotherapy Oncolog, 74, 301-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2005.01.006
- Lohr F, Dobler B, Mai S, et al (2003) Optimization of dose distributions for adjuvan locoregional radiotherapy of gastric cancer by IMRT. Strahlenther Oncologie, 179, 557-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00066-003-1087-z
- Luxton G, Keall PJ, King CR (2005). A new formula for normal tissue complication probability (NTCP) as a function of equivalent uniform dose (EUD) phys. Med Biol, 53, 23-36.
- Macdonald SJ (2005). Role of post-operative chemoradiation in resected gastric cancer. J Surg Oncol, 90, 166-70. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.20223
- Marcenora M, Foppiano F, Durzu S, et al (2006). Kidney-sparing radiotherapy by multiple-field three-dimensional technique in the postoperative management of patients with gastric cancer: comparison with standart two-field conformal technique. Tumori, 92, 34-40.
- Milano MT, Garofalo MC, Chmura J, et al (2006). IMRT in the treatment of gastric cancer: early clinical outcome and dosimetric comparison with conventional techniques. Br J Radiol, 79, 497-50. https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr/43441736
- Minn Y, Hsu A, La T, et al (2010).Comparison of IMRT and 3- dimensional conformal radiotherapy for gastric cancer. Cancer, 116, 3943-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25246
- Oh MG, Kim JH, Han MA, et al (2014). Family history and survival of patients with gastric cancer: a meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3465-70 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3465
- Pemberton L, Coote J, Perry L, et al (2006). Adjuvant chemoradiotherapy for gastric carcinoma: dosimetric implications of conventional gastric bed irradiation and toxicity. Clinical Oncology, 18, 663-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clon.2006.06.012
- Smalley SR, Benedetti JK, Haller DG, et al (2012). Updated analysis of SWOG-directed intergroup study 0116: a phase III trial of adjuvant radiochemotherapy versus observation after curative gastric cancer resection. J Clinical Oncol, 30, 2327-33 https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.36.7136
- Soyfer V, Corn BW, Melamud A, et al (2007). Three-dimensional non-coplanar conformal radiotherapy yields better results than traditional beam arrangements for adjuvant treatment of gastric cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 69, 364-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2007.03.032
- Wals A, Contreras J, Macias J, et al (2006). Damage assesment in gastric cancer treatment with adjuvan radiochemotherapy: calculation of the NTCP's from differential HDV of the Organs at Risk. Clin Trans Oncol, 8, 271-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02664938
- Zare A, Mahmoodi M, Mohammad K, et al (2013). Survival analysis of patients with gastric cancer undergoing surgery at Iran cancer institute: a method based on multi-state models. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6369-73. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6369