- Volume 15 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Discussing Sexuality with Cancer Patients: Oncology Nurses Attitudes and Views
- Oskay, Umran (Department of Gynecologic and Obstetrics Nursing, Florence Nightingale Nursing Faculty, Istanbul University) ;
- Can, Gulbeyaz (Department of Medical Nursing, Florence Nightingale Nursing Faculty, Istanbul University) ;
- Basgol, Sukran (Department of Gynecologic and Obstetrics Nursing, Florence Nightingale Nursing Faculty, Istanbul University)
- Published : 2014.09.15
Background: Sexual health and function frequently are overlooked by healthcare professionals despite being identified as an essential aspect of patient care. Patients with cancer have identified sexuality issues as being of equal importance to other quality-of-life issues. Objectives: The aim of this study was to determine the views and attitudes of oncology nurses caring for cancer patients regarding sexual counseling. Participants and Methods: A descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted on the web site of the Turkish Oncology Nurses Association. With the participation of 87 nurses from oncology departments, the study determined that most nurses do not evaluate and counsel patients regarding their sexual problems and many difficulties prevent them from focussing on sexual health. The most important reasons for ignoring sexual counseling were the absence of routine regarding sexual counseling in oncology departments, the belief that the patient may become ashamed and the nurses' self-evaluation that they have insufficient skills and education to counsel in this subject. Conclusions: The most important variables in sexual evaluation and counseling are long years of service in the profession and a postgraduate degree.
Attitudes;sexual health counselling;cancer care;oncology nurses
- Set T, Dagdeviren N, Akturk A (2006). Sexuality in adolescence. General Medicine J, 16, 137-41.
- Shell JA (2002). Evidence-based practice for symptom management in adults with cancer: sexual dysfunction. Oncol Nurs Forum, 29, 53-69. https://doi.org/10.1188/02.ONF.53-69
- Shell JA (2007). Including sexuality in your nursing practice. Nurs Clin North Am, 42, 685-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cnur.2007.08.007
- Stead ML, Brown JM, Fallowfield L, Selby P (2003). Lack of communication between healthcare professionals and women with ovarian cancer about sexual issues. Br J Cancer, 88, 666-71. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600799
- Stilos K, Doyle C, Daines P (2008). Addressing the sexual health needs of patients with gynecologic cancers. Clin J Oncol Nurs, 12, 457-63. https://doi.org/10.1188/08.CJON.457-463
- Taylor B, Davis S (2006). Using the extended PLISSIT model to address sexual healthcare needs. Nurs Standard, 21, 35-40.
- Tsaii Y. (2004). Nurses' facilitators and barriers for taking a sexual history in Taiwan. Appl Nurs Res, 17, 257-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2004.09.011
- Turan N, Ozturk A, Kaya H, Asti TA (2011). Social gender and nursing. Maltepe University Journal of Nursing Science and Art, 4, 167-73.
- Webb C (1988). A study of nurses' knowledge and attitudes about sexuality in health care. Int J Nurs Studies, 25, 235-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7489(88)90050-8
- Zeng YC, Li Q, Wang N, Ching SS, Loke AY (2011). Chinese nurses' attitudes and beliefs toward sexuality care in cancer patients. Cancer Nurs, 34, 14-20.
- Hordern A, Grainger M, Hegarty S et al (2009). Discussing sexuality in the clinical setting: The impact of a brief training program for oncology health professionals to enhance communication about sexuality. Asia Pac J Clin Oncol, 5, 270-7 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1743-7563.2009.01238.x
- Huang L, Pu J, Liu L, et al (2013). Cancer department nurses' attitudes and practices in response to the sexual issues of pelvic radiation patients: A survey in Sichuan, China. Contemp Nurse, 43, 146-51. https://doi.org/10.5172/conu.2013.43.2.146
- Hughes MK (2000). Sexuality and the cancer survivor: A silent coexistence. Cancer Nurs, 23, 477-82. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200012000-00011
- Jolley S (2002). Taking a sexual history: the role of the nurse. Nursing Times, 98, 39-41.
- Julien JO, Thom B, Kline NE (2010). Identification of barriers to sexual health assessment in oncology nursing practice. Oncology Nursing Forum, 37, 186-90. https://doi.org/10.1188/10.ONF.E186-E190
- Kagitcibasi C (1998). The statue of women in Turkey: Intercultural perspectives, men and women in the 75th year. In: "75 Years Women and Men: Statistics 98", Ed Hacimirzaoglu AB., History Foundation Publications, Istanbul, 13-28.
- Keskin G, Gumus AB (2011). Turkish hysterectomy and mastectomy patients - depression, body image, sexual problems and spouse relationships. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 425-32.
- Kotronoulas G, Papadopoulou C, Patiraki E (2009). Nurses' knowledge, attitudes, and practices regarding provision of sexual health care in patients with cancer: critical review of the evidence. Support Care Cancer, 17, 479-501. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-008-0563-5
- Krebs LU (2008). Sexual assessment in cancer care: concepts, methods and strategies for success. Semin Oncol Nurs, 24, 80-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2008.02.002
- Kutmec C (2009). Sexual dysfunction in women and nursing care. Firat Health Services Journal, 4, 111-36.
- Magnan MA, Reynolds KE, Galvin EA (2005). Barriers to addressing patient sexuality in nursing practice. Medsurg Nurs, 14, 282-90.
- Mercer CH, Fenton KA, Johnson AM, et al (2003). Sexual function problems and help seeking behaviour in Britain: national probability sample survey. Br Med J, 327, 426-7. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.327.7412.426
- Olsson C, Berglund AL, Larsson M, Athlin E (2012). Patient's sexuality - A neglected area of cancer nursing? Eur J Oncol Nurs, 16, 426-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2011.10.003
- Oskay UY, Beji NK, Demirgoz MB, Yilmaz SD (2011). Evaluation of sexual function in patients with gynecologic cancer and evidence-based nursing interventions. Sexuality Disability, 29, 33-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11195-010-9188-y
- Pinar G (2010). Nursing approaches regarding sexual dysfunction counseling in patients receiving cancer treatment. Gulhane Medicine J, 52, 241-7.
- Quinn C, Browne G (2009). Sexuality of people living with mental illness: a collaborative challenge for mental health nurses. Int J Ment Health Nurs, 18, 195-203. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1447-0349.2009.00598.x
- Saunamaki N, Andersson M, Engstrom M (2010). Discussing sexuality with patients: nurses' attitudes and beliefs. J Adv Nurs, 66, 1308-16. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05260.x
- Can G (2004). Sexual health in cancer. Andrologia Bulletin, 19, 355-6.
- Chun N (2011). Effectiveness of PLISSIT model sexual program on female sexual function for women with gynecologic cancer. J Korean Acad Nurs, 41, 471-80. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.471
- Dattilo J, Brewer MK (2005). Assessing clients' sexual health as a component of holistic nursing practice: Senior nursing students share their experiences. J Holist Nurs, 23, 208-19. https://doi.org/10.1177/0898010105275839
- Fouladi N, Pourfarzi F, Ali-Mohammadi H, et al (2013). Process of coping with mastectomy: a qualitative study in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2079-84. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.2079
- Goker A, Guvenal T, Yanikkerem E, et al (2011). Quality of life in women with gynecologic cancer in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3121-8.
- Golbasi Z, Evcili F (2013). Evaluating patient sexuality and nursing: Obstacles and suggestions. Anatolian J Nursing Health Sciences, 16, 313-21.
- Gordon M (1982). Functional health paterns, nursing diagnosis process and aplication. Mc Graw-Hill Book Comp, New York, 151-65.
- Haboubi N, Lincoln N (2003). Views of health professionals on discussing sexual issues with patients. Disabil Rehabil, 25, 291-6. https://doi.org/10.1080/0963828021000031188
- Hautam K, Miettinen M (2007). Opening communication with cancer patients about sexuality-related issues. Cancer Nurs, 30, 399-404. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NCC.0000290808.84076.97
- Hordern A (2008). Intimacy and sexuality after cancer: a critical review of the literature. Cancer Nurs, 31, 9-17.
- Algier L, Sultan K (2008). Nurses' approach to sexuality-related issues in patients receiving cancer treatments. Turkish J Cancer, 38, 135-41.
- Akkuzu G, Ayhan A (2013). Sexual functions of Turkish women with gynecologic cancer during the chemotherapy process. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3561-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3561
- Beck M, Justham D (2009). Nurses' attitudes towards the sexuality of colorectal patients. Nurs Stand, 23, 44-8.
- Blagbrough J (2010). Importance of sexual needs assessment in palliative care. Nurs Stand, 24, 35-9.
- Butler L, Banfield V (2001). Oncology nurses' views on the provision of sexual health in cancer care. J Reproductive Medicine, 1, 35-9.
- Calisandemir F, Bencik S, Artan I (2008). Sexual education of children: A perspective from past to present. J Education Science, 33, 14-27.
- Sexual Health Care Attitudes and Practices of Nurses Caring for Patients with Cancer vol.15, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2015.15.1.28
- Relation of Compassionate Competence to Burnout, Job Stress, Turnover Intention, Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment for Oncology Nurses in Korea vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5463
- Patient-provider communication about sexual concerns in cancer: a systematic review vol.11, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11764-016-0577-9
- Sexual health in primary health care - a qualitative study of nurses’ experiences vol.26, pp.11-12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.13454
- Symptom Distress in Patients With Hepatocellular Carcinoma Toward the End of Life vol.44, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1188/17.ONF.665-673
- Online-based interventions for sexual health among individuals with cancer: a systematic review vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-018-2972-6
- Health-care professionals’ perspective on discussing sexual issues in adult patients after haematopoietic cell transplantation vol.53, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41409-017-0027-y
- Psychosexual experiences of men following radiotherapy for prostate cancer in Johannesburg, South Africa vol.23, pp.1025-9848, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4102/hsag.v23i0.1057
- Abordagem da sexualidade no cuidado ao paciente oncológico: barreiras e estratégias vol.31, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/1982-0194201800078