- Volume 15 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Presentation and Clinical Outcome between Children and Young Adults with Differentiated Thyroid Cancer
- Wang, Jian-Tao (Nuclear Medicine department of West China Hospital) ;
- Huang, Rui (Nuclear Medicine department of West China Hospital) ;
- Kuang, An-Ren (Nuclear Medicine department of West China Hospital)
- 발행 : 2014.09.15
Background: The aim of the present study was to evaluate the presentation, clinical course and outcome between children and young adults with differentiated thyroid cancer (DTC) treated in our hospital. Materials and Methods: The medical records of 145 patients with DTC who underwent surgery followed by radioiodine and thyroid hormone (TSH) suppression were retrospectively reviewed. The follow up was between January 2006 and June 2012. These patients consisted of 38 children (age
Differentiated thyroid cancer;children;young adults;total thyroidectomy;radioiodine therapy
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Adeniran A, Zhu Z, Gandhi M, et al (2006). Correlation between genetic alterations and microscopic features, clinical manifestations, and prognostic characteristics of thyroid papillary carcinomas. Am J Surg Pathol, 30, 216-22. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.pas.0000176432.73455.1b
- Agac A, Kutun S, cetin A (2013). Are the characteristics of thyroid cancer different in young patients? J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab, 27,497-502.
- Cooper D, Doherty G, Haugen B, et al (2009). Revised american thyroid association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer: the american thyroid association (ATA) guidelines taskforce on thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid, 19, 1167-214.
- Davies L, Welch H (2014). Current Thyroid Cancer Trends in the United States. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 140, 317-22. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoto.2014.1
- Danese D, Gardini A, Farsetti A, et al (1997). Thyroid carcinoma in children and adolescents. Eur J Pediatr, 156, 190-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004310050580
- Degroot L, Kaplan E, McCormick M, et al (1990). Natural history, treatment, and course of papillary thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 71, 414-24. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-71-2-414
- Faggiano A, Coulot J, Bellon N, et al (2004). Age-dependent variation of follicular size and expression of iodine transporters in human thyroid tissue. J Nucl Med, 45, 232-7.
- Farahati J, Reiners C, Demidchik E (1999). Is the UICC/AJCC classification of primary tumor in childhood thyroid carcinoma valid? J Nucl Med, 40, 2125.
- Frankenthaler R, Sellin R, Cangir A, et al (1990). Lymph node metastasis from papillary-follicular thyroid carcinoma in young patients. Am J Surg, 160, 341-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9610(05)80538-0
- Gulcelik M, Kuru B, Dincer H, et al (2012). Complications of completion versus total thyroidectomy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5225-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5225
- Handkiewicz-Junak D, Wloch J, Roskosz J, et al (2007). Total thyroidectomy and adjuvant radioiodine treatment independently decrease locoregional recurrence risk in childhood and adolescent differentiated thyroid cancer. J Nucl Med, 48, 879-88. https://doi.org/10.2967/jnumed.106.035535
- Hovens G, Stokkel M, Kievit J, et al (2007). Associations of serum thyrotropin concentrations with recurrence and death in differentiated thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 92, 2610-5. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2006-2566
- Kim SS, Kim SJ, Kim IJ, et al (2012). Comparison of clinical outcomes in differentiated thyroid carcinoma between children and young adult patients. Clin Nucl Med, 37, 850-3. https://doi.org/10.1097/RLU.0b013e318262c5d6
- Lazar L, Lebenthal Y, Steinmetz A, et al (2009). Differentiated thyroid carcinoma in pediatric patients: comparison of presentation and course between pre-pubertal children and adolescents. J Pediatr, 154, 708-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2008.11.059
- Lima J, Trovisco V, Soares P, et al (2004). BRAF mutations are not a major event in post-Chernobyl childhood thyroid carcinomas. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 89, 4267-71. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2003-032224
- Lupi C, Giannini R, Ugolini C, et al (2007). Association of BRAF V600E mutation with poor clinicopathological outcomes in 500 consecutive cases of papillary thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 92, 4085-90. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2007-1179
- Mehta V, Nikiforov Y, Ferris R (2013). Use of molecular biomarkers in FNA specimens to personalize treatment for thyroid surgery. Head Neck. 35, 1499-506.
- Miller R, L Young J, Novakovic B (1995). Childhood cancer. Cancer, 75, 395-405. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19950101)75:1+<395::AID-CNCR2820751321>3.0.CO;2-W
- Patel A, Jhiang S, Dogra S, et al (2002). Differentiated thyroid carcinoma that express sodium-iodide symporter have a lower risk of recurrence for children and adolescents. Pediatr Res, 52, 737-44. https://doi.org/10.1203/00006450-200211000-00021
- Riesco G, Gutierrez P, Garcia M, et al (2006). The oncogene BRAFV600E is associated with a high risk of recurrence and less differentiated papillary thyroid carcinoma due to the impairment of Na+/I- targeting to the membrane. Endocr relat cancer, 13, 257-69. https://doi.org/10.1677/erc.1.01119
- Ringel M, Anderson J, Souza S, et al (2001). Expression of the sodium iodide symporter and thyroglobulin genes are reduced in papillary thyroid cancer. Mod Pathol, 14, 289-96. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.3880305
- Yu WB, Tao SY, Zhang NS (2012). Is level V dissection necessary for low-risk patients with papillary thyroid cancer metastasis in lateral neck levels II, III, and IV. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4619-22. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4619
- Zaman MU, Fatima N, Padhy AK, et al (2013).Controversies about radioactive iodine-131 remnant ablation in low risk thyroid cancers: are we near a consensus? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6209-13. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6209
- MiR-99a Inhibits Cell Proliferation and Tumorigenesis through Targeting mTOR in Human Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4937
- Comparison of differentiated thyroid cancer in children and adolescents (≤20 years) with young adults vol.84, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/cen.12845
- Classical V600E and other non-hotspot BRAF mutations in adult differentiated thyroid cancer vol.14, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12967-016-0958-x
- Single Point Mutations in Pediatric Differentiated Thyroid Cancer vol.27, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2016.0339
- Initial Treatment Patterns in Younger Adult Patients with Differentiated Thyroid Cancer in California vol.25, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2014.0610
- Promoter Mutations in Pediatric Thyroid Cancer vol.26, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2015.0510