- Volume 15 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Cytotoxicity of Trichoderma spp. Cultural Filtrate Against Human Cervical and Breast Cancer Cell Lines
- El-Rahman, Atef Abd El-Mohsen Abd (Department of Agricultural chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Minia University) ;
- El-Shafei, Sally Mohamed Abd El-Aziz (Department of Agricultural chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Minia University) ;
- Ivanova, Elena Vladimirovna (Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Institute of fundamental Medicine and Biology, Kazan Federal University) ;
- Fattakhova, Alfia Nurlimanovna (Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Institute of fundamental Medicine and Biology, Kazan Federal University) ;
- Pankova, Anna Victorovna (Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Institute of fundamental Medicine and Biology, Kazan Federal University) ;
- El-Shafei, Mohamed Abd El-Aziz (Department of Agricultural chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Minia University) ;
- El-Morsi, El-Morsi Abu El-Fotouh (Department of Agricultural chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Minia University) ;
- Alimova, Farida Kashifovna (Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Institute of fundamental Medicine and Biology, Kazan Federal University)
- Published : 2014.09.15
Trichoderma spp. are known as a rich source of secondary metabolites with biological activity belonging to a variety of classes of chemical compounds. These fungi also are well known for their ability to produce a wide range of antibiotic substances and to parasitize other fungi. In search for new substances, which might act as anticancer agents, the overall objective of this study was to investigate the cytotoxic effects of Trichoderma harzianum and Trichoderma asperellum cultural filtrates against human cervical and breast cancer cell lines (HeLa and MCF-7 cells respectively). To achieve this objective, cells were exposed to 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100 mg/ml of both T. harzianum cultural filtrate (ThCF) and T. asperellum cultural filtrate (TaCF) for 24h, then the cell viability and the cytotoxic responses were assessed by using trypan blue and 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2yl)-2,5-biphenyl tetrazolium bromide (MTT) assays. Morphological changes in cells were investigated by phase contrast inverted microscopy. The results showed that ThCF and TaCF significantly reduce the cell viability, have cytotoxic effects and alter the cellular morphology of HeLa and MCF-7 cells in a concentration dependent manner. A concentration of 80 and 100mg/ml of ThCF resulted in a sharp decline in the cell viability percent of HeLa and MCF-7 respectively (25.2%, 26.5%) which was recorded by trypan blue assay. The half-maximal inhibitory concentrations (
Supported by : Kazan Federal University
- ACS (American Cancer Society) (2012). Cancer Facts and Figures 2011. Atlanta, GA: American CancerSociety, Inc;2011.http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@epidemiologysurveilance/documents/document/acspc-029771. pdf. (Accessed January 28, 2012).
- Alshatwi AA, Shafi G, Hasan TN, Syed NA, Khoja KK (2013). Fenugreek induced apoptosis in breast cancer MCF-7 cells mediated independently by fas receptor change. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5783-88. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5783
- Chen W-T, Wang J (2013). Chinese female immigrants englishspeaking ability and breast and cervical cancer early detection practices in the New York Metropolitan Area. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 733-38. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.733
- de la Cruz J, Hidalgo-Gallego A, Lora JM, et al (1992). Isolation and characterization of three chitinases from Trichoderma harzianum. Eur J Biochem, 206, 859-67. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1992.tb16994.x
- Geremia RA, Goldman GH, Jacobs D, et al (1993). Molecular characterization of the proteinase-encoding gene, prb1, related to mycoparasitism by Trichoderma harzianum. Mol Microbiol, 8, 603-13. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2958.1993.tb01604.x
- Ghisalberti EL, Sivasithamparam K, (1991). Antifungal antibiotics produced by Trichoderma spp. Soil Biol Biochem, 23, 1011-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/0038-0717(91)90036-J
- Gupta VG, Schmoll M, Herrera-Estrella A, et al (2014). Biotechnology and biology of Trichoderma. The Boulevard, Langford Lane, Kidlington, Oxford OX5 1GB, UK, 429-53.
- Hamedeyazdan S, Fathiazad F, Sharifi S, Nazemiyeh H (2012). Antiproliferative activity of Marrubium persicum extract in the MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5843-48. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5843
- Harman GE (2006). Overview of mechanisms and uses of Trichoderma spp. Phytopathol, 96, 190-94. https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-96-0190
- Harman GE, Howell CR, Viterbo A, Chet I, Lorito M (2004). Trichoderma species-opportunistic, avirulent plant symbionts. Nat Rev Microbiol, 2, 43-56. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrmicro797
- Jung HI, Jo MJ, Kim HR, Choi YH, Kim GD (2014). Extract of Saccharina japonica induces apoptosis companied by cell cycle arrest and endoplasmic reticulum stress in SK-Hep1 human hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2993-99. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.2993
- Karadag G, Gungormus Z, Surucu R, Savas E, Bicer F (2014). Awareness and Practices Regarding Breast and Cervical Cancer among Turkish Women in Gazientep. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1093-98. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1093
- Keswani C, Mishra S, Sarma BK, Singh SP, Singh HB (2014). Unraveling the efficient applications of secondary metabolites of various Trichoderma spp. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol, 98, 533-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-013-5344-5
- Kim J, Jayaprakasha GK, Vikram A, et al (2012). Methyl nomilinate from citrus can modulate cell cycle regulators to induce cytotoxicity in human colon cancer (SW480) cells in vitro. Toxicol in vitro, 26, 1216-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2012.06.005
- Kubicek CP, Harman GE (2002). Trichoderma and Gliocladium, Vol. 1. Basic biology, taxonomy and genetics. Taylor and Francis Ltd., London, pp.3.
Kusakabe H, Kodama K, Kuninaka A. (1980). A new antitumor enzyme, L-lysine
$\alpha$-oxidase from Trichoderma viride: purification and enzymological properties. J Biologic Chem, 255, 976-81.
- Kusakabe H, Kodama K, Machida H (1979). Occurrence of a novel enzyme, L-lysine oxidase with antitumor activity in culture extract of Trichoderma viride. Agri Biologic Chem, 43, 337-43. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.43.337
- Lee HB, Kim Y, Jin HZ, et al (2005). A new Hypocrea strain producing harzianum A cytotoxic to tumor cell lines. Lett Appl Microbiol, 40, 497-503. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2005.01719.x
- Lorito M (1998). Chitinolytic enzymes and their genes. in: Trichoderma and Gliocladium. Vol. 2. GE Harman and CP Kubicek, eds. Taylor & Francis, London, pp 73-99.
- Lorito M, Hayes CK, di Pietro A, Woo SL, Harman GE (1994). Purification, characterization and synergistic activity of a glucan 1,3-b-glucosidase and an N-acetyl-bglucosaminidase from Trichoderma harzianum. Phytopathol, 84, 398-405. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-84-398
- Lu M, Moritz S, Lorenzetti D, et al (2012). A systematic review of interventions to increase breast and cervical cancer screening uptake among Asian women. BMC Public Health, 12, 413-28. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-413
- Monsuez JJ, Charniot JC, Vignat N, Artigou JY (2010). Cardiac side-effects of cancer chemotherapy. Inter J Cardiol, 144, 3-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2010.03.003
- Muir CS, Nectoux J (1996). International patterns of cancer. In Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention. 2nd edition. Edited by Schottenfeld D, Fraumeni JF Jr. New York: Oxford Univ. Press; pp 156.
- Patel S, Gheewala N, Suthar A, Shah A (2009). In vitro cytotoxicity activity of solanum nigrum extract against hela cell line and vero cell line. Inter J Pharm Pharmaceuti Sci, 1, 38-46.
- Phillips HJ, Terryberry JE (1957). Counting actively metabolizing tissue cultured cells. Cell Res, 13, 341-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-4827(57)90013-7
- Pienta KJ, Lehr JE (1993). Inhibition of prostate cancer cell growth by estamurine and etoposide: Evidence for interaction of the nuclear matrix. J Ural, 49, 1622-25.
- Reino JL, Guerrero RF, Hernandez-Galan R, Collado IG (2008). Secondary metabolites from species of the biocontrol agent Trichoderma. Phytochem Rev, 7, 89-123.
- Respinis SD, Vogel G, Benagli C, et al (2010). MALDI-TOF MS of Trichoderma: Model system for the identification of microfungi. Mycol Progress, 9, 79-100. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11557-009-0621-5
- Ries LAG, Eisner MP, Kosary CL (2005). SEER cancer statistics review, 1975-2002. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute.
- Rita N (2012). New developments in the treatment of HER2-positive breast cancer. Breast Cancer, 4, 53-64.
- Ruiz B, Chavez A, Forero A, et al (2010). Production of microbial secondary metabolites: Regulation by the carbon source. Critical Rev Microbiol, 36, 146-67. https://doi.org/10.3109/10408410903489576
- Singh HB, Singh DP (2009). From biological control to bioactive metabolites: Prospects with Trichoderma for safe human food. J Trop Agric Sci, 32, 99-110.
- Sivasithamparam K, Ghisalberti EL (1998). Secondary metabolism in Trichoderma and Gliocladium. In: Harman GE, Kubicek CP (Eds.), Trichoderma and Gliocladium, Vol. 1. Taylor and Francis Ltd., London, pp. 139-91.
- Sogukpinar N, Saydam BK, Can HO, et al (2013). Assessment of cervical cancer risk in women between 15 and 49 years of age: Case of Izmir. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2119-25. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.2119
- Uddin SJ, Darren GI, Evelin T (2009). Cytotoxic effects of Bangladeshi medicinal plant extracts. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 2011, 1-7.
- Vinale F, Sivasithamparam K, Ghisalberti EL, et al (2008). Trichoderma-plant-pathogen interactions. Soil Biol Biochem, 40, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2007.07.002
- Wang TT, Wang SK, Huang GL, Sun GJ (2012). Luteolin induced-growth inhibition and apoptosis of human esophageal squamous carcinoma cell line Eca109 cells in vitro. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5455-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5455
- You J, Dai H, Chen Z, et al X (2010). Trichoderone, a novel cytotoxic cyclopentenone and cholesta-7, 22-diene-3b, 5a, 6b-triol, with new activities from the marine-derived fungus Trichoderma sp. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol, 37, 245-52. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10295-009-0667-z
- Zhao LW, Zhong XH, Yang SY, Zhang YZ, Yang NJ (2014). Inotodiol inhabits proliferation and induces apoptosis through modulating expression of cyclin E, p27, bcl-2, and bax in human cervical cancer Hela cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3195-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3195
- Detecting the Hormonal Pathways in Oilseed Rape behind Induced Systemic Resistance by Trichoderma harzianum TH12 to Sclerotinia sclerotiorum vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0168850
- vol.9, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/21501203.2017.1423126
- Isolation, Purification, and Biological Activity of Secondary Metabolites from Trichoderma asperellum F-1087 vol.54, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1134/S000368381802014X