- Volume 15 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Symptoms and Symptom Clusters in Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients in Turkey
- Bolukbas, Ferdag (Gazi University Institute of Health Sciences) ;
- Kutluturkan, Sevinc (Department of Nursing, Faculty of Health Sciences, Gazi University)
- 발행 : 2014.09.15
Background: Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) patients demonstrate multiple symptoms in diagnosis and treatment processes. This cross-sectional descriptive study aimed to determine the symptoms and symptom clusters in such patients receiving chemotherapy. Materials and Methods: The study was carried out on a total of 110 inpatients and outpatients receiving treatment in 7 hospitals in Ankara, Turkey. A questionnaire form and the Memorial Symptom Assessment Scale (MSAS) were applied. Percentages, means, t test, one way analysis of variance (ANOVA) and cluster analysis were used for statistical analyses. Results: The most prevalent symptoms in this study were lack of energy, hair loss and change in the way food tastes. The most severe symptoms were hair loss, change in the way food tastes and constipation. The top three most distressing symptoms were taste change, constipation and mouth sores. Seven symptom clusters were determined in this study. Conclusions: Findings of the study will provide an understanding of symptom experiences of Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma patients receiving chemotherapy and will guide determining appropriate nursing interventions. Receiving care of desired quality will contribute to increasing quality of life of affected individuals.
- Atay S, Conk Z, Bahar Z (2012). Identifying symptom clusters in paediatric cancer patients using the Memorial Symptom Assessment Scale. Eur J Cancer Care, 21, 460-8.
- Barsevick AM (2007). The concept of symptom cluster. Semin Oncol Nurs 23, 89-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2007.01.009
- Chen ML, Tseng HH (2005). Identification and verification of symptom clusters in cancer patients. J Support Oncol, 3, 28-9.
- Cheung WY, Le LW, Zimmermann C (2009). Symptom clusters in patients with advanced cancers. Support Care Cancer, 17, 1223-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-009-0577-7
- Cooley ME, Short TH, Moriarty HJ (2003). Symptom prevalence, distress, and change over time in adults receiving treatment for lung cancer. Psychooncology, 12, 694-708. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.694
- Dood MJ, Miaskowski C, Lee KA (2009). Occurrence of symptom clusters. J Natl Cancer Inst Monographs, 32, 76-78.
- Dodd MJ, Cho MH, Cooper BA, Miaskowski C (2010). The effect of symptom clusters on functional status and quality of life in women with breast cancer. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 14, 101-10.
- Dodd MJ, Cho MH, Cooper BA, et al (2011). Identification of latent classes in patients who are receiving biotherapy based on symptom experience and its effect on functional status and quality of life. Oncol Nurs Forum, 38, 33-42. https://doi.org/10.1188/11.ONF.33-42
- Erickson JM, Macpherson CF, Ameringer S, et al (2013). Symptoms and symptom clusters in adolescents receiving cancer treatment: A review of the literature. Int J Nurs Stud, 50, 847-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.10.011
- Eser S, Yakut C, Ozdemir R, et al (2010). Cancer incidence rates in Turkey in 2006: a detailed registry based estimation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1731-9.
- Ferreira KA, Kimura M, Teixeira MJ, et al (2008). Impact of cancer-related symptom synergisms on health-related quality of life and performance status. J Pain Symptom Manage, 35, 604-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2007.07.010
- Gift AG (2007). Symptom clusters related to specific cancers. Semin Oncol Nurs, 23, 136-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2007.01.003
- Given BA, Given CW, Sikorskii A, Hadar N (2007). Symptom clusters and physical function for patients receiving chemotherapy. Semin Oncol Nurs, 23, 121-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2007.01.005
- Henoch I, Ploner A, Tishelman C (2009). Increasing stringency in symptom cluster research: a methodological exploration of symptom clusters in patients with inoperable lung cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum, 36, 282-92. https://doi.org/10.1188/09.ONF.E283-E292
- Kim HJ, McGuire DB, Tulman L, Barsevick AM (2005). Symptom clusters: concept analysis and clinical implications for cancer nursing. Cancer Nurs, 28, 270-82.
- Kim E, Jahan T, Aouizerat BE, et al (2009). Changes in symptom clusters in patients undergoing radiation therapy. Support Care Cancer, 17, 1383-91. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-009-0595-5
- Kirkova J, Walsh D, Aktas A, Davis MP (2010). Cancer symptom clusters: old concept but new data. Am J Hosp Palliat Care, 27, 282-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909110364048
- Kovach, WL (2007). MVSP-A MultiVariate Statistical Package for Windows, ver. 3.1. Kovach Computing Services, Pentraeth, Wales, U.K.
- Lenz ER, Pugh LC, Milligan RA, Gift A, Suppe F (1997). The Middle-Range Theory Of Unpleasant Symptoms: An Update. Adv Nursing Sci, 19, 14-27. https://doi.org/10.1097/00012272-199703000-00003
- Maliski SL, Kwan L, Elashoff D, Litwin MS (2008). Symptom clusters related to treatment for prostate cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum, 35, 786-93. https://doi.org/10.1188/08.ONF.786-793
- Molassiotis A, Wengstrom Y, Kearney N (2010). Symptom cluster patterns during the first year after diagnosis with cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage, 39, 847-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2009.09.012
- Nazik E, Arslan S, Nazik H, et al (2012). Anxiety and symptom assessment in Turkish gynecologic cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3129-33. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3129
- Okuyama T, Wang XS, Akechi T, et al (2003). Japanese version of the MD Anderson Symptom Inventory: a validation study. J Pain Symptom Manage, 26, 1093-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2003.05.003
- Ogce F, Ozkan S (2008). Changes in functional status and physical and psychological symptoms in women receiving chemotherapy for breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 449-52.
- Paice JA (2004). Assessment of symptom clusters in people with cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr, 32, 98-102.
- Portenoy RK, Thaler HT, Kornblith AB, et al (1994). The Memorial Symptom Assessment Scale: an instrument for the evaluation of symptom prevalence, characteristics and distress. Eur J Cancer, 30, 1326-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/0959-8049(94)90182-1
- Ryu E, Kim K, Cho MS, et al (2010). Symptom clusters and quality of life in Korean patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Nurs, 33, 3-10. https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e3181b4367e
- Siefert ML (2010). Fatigue, pain, and functional status during outpatient chemotherapy. Oncol Nurs Forum, 37, 114-23. https://doi.org/10.1188/10.ONF.114-123
- Walsh D, Rybicki L (2006). Symptom clustering in advanced cancer. Support Care Cancer, 14, 831-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-005-0899-z
- Wang XS, Giralt SA, Mendoza TR, et al (2002). Clinical factors associated with cancer-related fatigue in patients being treated for leukemia and non-Hodgkin'slymphoma. J Clin Oncol, 20, 1319-28. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.20.5.1319
- Williams PD, Balabagno AO, Manahan L, et al (2010). Symptom monitoring and self-care practices among Filipino cancer patients. Cancer Nurs, 33, 37-46. https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e3181b0f2b4
- Yamagishi A, Morita T, Miyashita M, Kimura F (2009). Symptom prevalence and longitudinal follow-up in cancer outpatients receiving chemotherapy. J Pain Symptom Manage, 37, 823-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2008.04.015
- Yan H, Sellick K (2004). Symptoms, psychological distress, social support, and quality of life of Chinese patients newly diagnosed with gastrointestinal cancer. Cancer Nurs, 27, 389-99.
- Yildirim Y, Tokem Y, Bozkurt N, et al (2011). Reliability and validity of the Turkish version of the Memorial Symptom Assessment Scale in cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3389-96.
- Yildirim M, Karakilinc H, Yildiz M, et al (2013). Non-Hodgkin lymphoma and pesticide exposure in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3461-3. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3461
- Signs, Symptoms and Complications of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma According to Grade and Stage in South Iran vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3551
- Translation and evaluation of Chinese version of the symptom experience index vol.22, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/ijn.12464
- Prevalence, Duration, Severity, and Distress of Chemotherapy-Related Gastrointestinal Symptoms in Patients With a Hematologic Malignancy vol.43, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1188/16.ONF.43-05AP
- Coping with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: a qualitative study of patient perceptions and supportive care needs whilst undergoing chemotherapy vol.25, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-017-3649-0
- ReCAP: Identifying Severe Adverse Event Clusters Using the National Cancer Institute’s Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events vol.12, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1200/JOP.2015.006106
- Prevalence, Severity, and Self-Reported Characteristics of Taste Alterations in Patients Receiving Chemotherapy vol.45, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1188/18.ONF.342-353