- Volume 15 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Pemetrexed is Mildly Active with Good Tolerability in Treating Patients with Gastric Cancer
- Lan, Hai (Hubei Key Laboratory of Tumor Biological Behaviors, Hubei Clinical Cancer Study Center, Zhong Nan Hospital of Wuhan University) ;
- Lin, Cong-Yao (Hubei Key Laboratory of Tumor Biological Behaviors, Hubei Clinical Cancer Study Center, Zhong Nan Hospital of Wuhan University) ;
- Li, Yan (Hubei Key Laboratory of Tumor Biological Behaviors, Hubei Clinical Cancer Study Center, Zhong Nan Hospital of Wuhan University)
- Published : 2014.09.15
Background: This systemic analysis was conducted to evaluate the efficacy and safety of pemetrexed based chemotherapy in treating patients with metastatic gastric cancer (MGC) as a salvage chemotherapy. Methods: Clinical studies evaluating the efficacy and safety of pemetrexed based regimens on response and safety for patients with gastric cancer were identified by using a predefined search strategy. Pooled response rates (RRs) of treatment were calculated. Results: In pemetrexed based regimens, 4 clinical studies including 171 patients with advanced gastric cancer were considered eligible for inclusion. Systemic analysis suggested that, in all patients, pooled RR was 25.1% (43/171) in pemetrexed based regimens. Major adverse effects were neutropenia, anorexia, fatigue, and anemia. No treatment related death occurred in pemetrexed based treatment. Conclusion: This systemic analysis suggests that pemetrexed based regimens are associated with mild activity with good tolerability in treating patients with MGC.
- Ahmad Z, Arshad H, Fatima S, et al (2013). Gastrointestinal, liver and biliary tract pathology: a histopathological and epidemiological perspective from Pakistan with a review of the literature. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6997-7005. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6997
- Atrkar-Roushan Z, Kazemnejad A, Mansour-Ghanaei F, et al (2013). Trend analysis of gastrointestinal cancer incidences in Guilan province: comparing rates over 15 years. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7587-93. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7587
- Bajetta E, Celio L, Buzzoni R, et al (2008). Phase II study of pemetrexed disodium (Alimta) administered with oral folic acid in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 62, 263-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-007-0600-y
- Celio L, Sternberg CN, Labianca R, et al (2009). Pemetrexed in combination with oxaliplatin as a first-line therapy for advanced gastric cancer: a multi-institutional phase II study. Ann Oncol, 20, 1062-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdn766
- Chen JS, Chao Y, Bang YJ, et al (2010). A phase I/II and pharmacogenomic study of pemetrexed and cisplatin in patients with unresectable, advanced gastric carcinoma. Anticancer Drugs, 21, 777-84. https://doi.org/10.1097/CAD.0b013e32833cfbca
- Chen MC, Chiang FF, Wang HM (2013). Cetuximab plus chemotherapy as first-time treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer: effect of KRAS mutation on treatment efficacy in Taiwanese patients. Neoplasma, 60, 561-7. https://doi.org/10.4149/neo_2013_073
- Chen WQ, Zheng RS, Zhang SW, Zeng HM, Zou XN (2014). The incidences and mortalities of major cancers in China. Chin J Cancer, 33, 402-5.
- Fiala O, Pesek M, Finek J, et al (2013). Second line treatment in advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): comparison of efficacy of erlotinib and chemotherapy. Neoplasma, 60, 129-34.
- Jo JC, Lee JL, Ryu MH, et al (2007). Docetaxel monotherapy as a second-line treatment after failure of fluoropyrimidine and platinum in advanced gastric cancer: experience of 154 patients with prognostic factor analysis. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 37, 936-41. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hym123
- Ma GJ, Gu RM, Zhu M, et al (2013). Plasma post-operative miR-21 expression in the prognosis of gastric cancers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7551-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7551
- Nguyen S, Rebischung C, Van Ongeval J, et al (2006). Epirubicin-docetaxel in advanced gastric cancer: two phase II studies as second and first line treatment. Bull Cancer; 93, E1-6.
- Park SH, Kim YS, Hong J, et al (2008). Mitomycin C plus S-1 as second-line therapy in patients with advanced gastric cancer: a noncomparative phase II study. Anticancer Drugs, 19, 303-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/CAD.0b013e3282f46ad8
- Pyrhonen S, Kuitunen T, Nyandoto P, et al (1995). Randomised comparison of fluorouracil, epidoxorubicin and methotrexate (FEMTX) plus supportive care with supportive care alone in patients with non-resectable gastric cancer. Br J Cancer, 71, 587-91. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1995.114
- Seo MD, Lee KW, Lim JH, et al (2008). Irinotecan combined with 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin as second-line chemotherapy for metastatic or relapsed gastric cancer. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 38, 589-95. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyn078
- Song B, Duan ZY, Zhong YH, et al (2013). Meta-analysis of the MDM2 T309G polymorphism and gastric cancer risk. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6649-51. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6649
- Suh M, Choi KS, Lee YY, et al (2013). Cancer screening in Korea, 2012: results from the Korean National Cancer Screening Survey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6459-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6459
- Tuncel T, Karagoz B, Haholu A, et al (2013). Immunoregulatory function of HLA-G in gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7681-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7681
- Usakova V, Sevcikova K, Usak J, et al (2013). Bevacizumab in combination with chemotherapy in the first-line treatment of metastatic coloretal carcinoma. Neoplasma, 60, 83-91.
- Wei GL, Huang XE, Huo JG, et al (2013). Phase II study on pemetrexed-based chemotherapy in treating patients with metastatic gastric cancer not responding to prior palliative chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2703-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.2703
- Yang B, Wang YQ, Cheng RB, et al (2013). Induction of cytotoxicity and apoptosis in human gastric cancer cell SGC-7901 by isovaltrate acetoxyhydrin isolated from Patrinia heterophylla bunge involves a mitochondrial pathway and G2/M phase cell cycle arrest. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6481-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6481
- Yang L, Sun MJ, Liu JW, et al (2013). IL-6-6331 (T/C, rs10499563) is associated with decreased risk of gastric cancer in Northern Chinese. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7467-72. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7467
- Zare A, Mahmoodi M, Mohammad K, et al (2013). Comparison between parametric and semi-parametric cox models in modeling transition rates of a multi-state model: application in patients with gastric cancer undergoing surgery at the Iran cancer institute. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6751-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6751
- Zhang B, Hao GY, Gao F, et al (2013). Lack of association of common polymorphisms in MUC1 gene with H. pylori infection and non-cardia gastric cancer risk in a Chinese population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7355-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7355
- Zhu CY, Lv YP, Yan DF, et al (2013). Knockdown of MDR1 increases the sensitivity to adriamycin in drug resistant gastric cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6757-60. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6757
- Plasma mRNA expression levels of BRCA1 and TS as potential predictive biomarkers for chemotherapy in gastric cancer vol.12, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12967-014-0355-2
- c-FLIP and the NOXA/Mcl-1 axis participate in the synergistic effect of pemetrexed plus cisplatin in human choroidal melanoma cells vol.12, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0184135