- Volume 15 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Synergistic Increase of Oxidative Stress and Tumor Markers in PAH-Exposed Workers
- Gao, Mei-Li (Institute of Mitochondrial Biology and Medicine, Department of Biological Science and Engineering, The Key Laboratory of Biomedical Information Engineering of Ministry of Education, School of Life Science and Technology, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Chen, Lei (Institute of Mitochondrial Biology and Medicine, Department of Biological Science and Engineering, The Key Laboratory of Biomedical Information Engineering of Ministry of Education, School of Life Science and Technology, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Li, Yong-Fei (School of Materials and Chemical Engineering, Xi'an Technological University) ;
- Xue, Xiao-Chang (State Key Laboratory of Cancer Biology, Department of Biopharmaceutics School of Pharmacy, Fourth Military Medical University) ;
- Chen, Lan (Center of Shared Experimental Facilities, The Key Laboratory of Biomedical Information Engineering of Ministry of Education, School of Life Science and Technology, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Wang, Li-Na (Neurology Department, Ninth Affiliated Hospital of Medical College of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Shah, Walayat (Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Khyber Medical University) ;
- Kong, Yu (Institute of Mitochondrial Biology and Medicine, Department of Biological Science and Engineering, The Key Laboratory of Biomedical Information Engineering of Ministry of Education, School of Life Science and Technology, Xi'an Jiaotong University)
- Published : 2014.09.15
In this study, we investigated oxidative stress and tumor marker levels of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in 136 coke oven workers and in 60 control subjects, and evaluated the correlation between oxidative stress and tumor marker levels. Questionnaires on basic demographic information were also administered. Significant differences in employment time and percentages of alcohol drinkers were observed between the control and exposed groups. PAH exposure was assessed using urinary 1-hydroxy-pyrene (1-OHP) levels and was found to be significantly higher in workers than in the controls. Significant differences (P<0.001) of MDA, GST, LDH, NSE, Cyfra21-1, and of SCC and TNF-a (P<0.0001 and P<0.05, P<0.001, respectively) levels were observed among controls and coke-oven workers, except for bottom coke oven workers. Associations between age and risk of increased TNF-a, smoking and increased GST activities, and drinking with increased MDA concentrations, were marginal (P=0.055, P=0.048, P=0.057, respectively). The association between smoking with MDA (P=0.004), NSE (P=0.005), SCC (P=0.004) andTNF-a (P<0.001), and drinking with TNF-a levels was significant (P=0.012). In addition, a significant positive correlation between oxidative stress and tumor markers was found in the present study. These results suggest that a synergistic increase of oxidative stress and tumor markers induced by PAHs may play a role in toxic responses for PAHs in coke oven workers.
Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons;coke oven workers;oxidative stress;tumor markers
Supported by : Shaanxi Postdoctoral Science Foundation
- Taniguchi H, Sakagami J, Suzuki N, et al (2009). Adenoendocrine cell carcinoma of the gallbladder clinically mimicking squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Clin Oncol, 14, 167-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10147-008-0810-2
- Tobin AM, Kirby B (2005). TNF alpha inhibitors in the treatment of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. Bio Drugs, 19, 47-57.
- Valentovic MA, Ball JG (1998). 2-Aminophenol and 4-aminophenol toxicity in renal slices from Sprague-Dawley and Fischer 344 rats. J Toxicol Environ Health Part A, 55, 225-40. https://doi.org/10.1080/009841098158511
- Vaughn MP, Shinohara DB, Castagna N, et al (2011). Humanizingp-class glutathione S-transferase regulation in a mouse model alters liver toxicity in response to acetaminophen overdose. PLoS ONE, 6 , e25707, 1-10.
- Vieira LR, Sousa A, Frasco MF, et al (2008). Acute effects of benzo (a) pyrene, anthracene and a fuel oil on biomarkers of the common goby Pomatoschistus microps (Teleostei, Gobiidae). Sci Total Environ, 395, 87-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2008.01.052
- Wang F, He Y, Guo H, et al (2010). Genetic variants of nucleotide excision repair genes are associated with DNA damage in coke oven workers. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19, 211-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-09-0270
- Wang TC, SongYS, Yu SF, et al (2013). Association of folate deficiency and selected tumor marker concentrations in long-term hexavalent chromium exposed population. Int J Hyg Environ Health, 217, 88-94.
- Zhang J, Ichiba M, Hanaoka T, et al (2003). Leukocyte 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine and aromatic DNA adduct in coke-oven workers with polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon exposure. Int Arch Occup Environ Health, 76, 499-504. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00420-003-0449-2
- Zhang J, Ichiba M, Hara K, et al (2001). Urinary 1-hydroxypyrene in coke oven workers relative to exposure, alcohol consumption, and metabolic enzymes. Occup Environ Med, 58, 716-21. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.58.11.716
- Sun T, Wang X, Liu Z, et al (2011). Patterns of cytokine release and evolution of remote organs from proximal femur fracture in COPD rats. Injury, 42, 825-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2011.03.040
- Tappia PS, Troughton KL, Langley-Evans SC, et al (1995). Cigarette smoking influences cytokine production and antioxidant defences. Clin Sci, 88 , 485-9.
- Szymanska-Chabowska A, Antonowicz-Juchniewicz J, Andrzejak R (2004). Plasma concentration of selected neoplastic markers in persons occupationally exposed to arsenic and heavy metals. Med Pr, 55, 313-20.
- Takahashi H, Ogata H, Nishigaki, R, et al (2010). Tobacco smoke promotes lung tumorigenesis by triggering IKK beta- and JNK1 dependent inflammation. Cancer Cell, 17, 89-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccr.2009.12.008
- Xue H, Sun K, Xie W, et al (2012). Etanercept attenuates shortterm cigarette-smoke-exposure-induced pulmonary arterial remodelling in rats by suppressing the activation of TNF-a/NF-kB signal and the activities of MMP-2 and MMP-9. Pulm Pharmacol Ther, 25, 208-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pupt.2012.02.006
- Yang M, Jang JY, Kim S, et al (2003). Genetic effects on urinary 1-hydroxypyrene levels in Korean population. Carcinogenesis, 24, 1085-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgg054
- Yang M, Kim S, Lee E, Cheong, HK, et al (2003). Sources of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon exposure in nonoccupationally exposed Koreans. Environ Mol Mutagen, 42, 250-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/em.10196
- Yang X, Zheng J, Bai Y, et al (2007). Using lymphocyte and plasma hsp70 as biomarkers for assessing coke oven exposure among steel workers. Environ Health Perspect, 115, 1573-7. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.10104
- Liu AL, Lu WQ, Wang ZZ, et al (2006). Elevated levels of urinary 8-hydroxy-2-deoxyguanosine, lymphocytic micronuclei, and serum glutathione S-transferase in workers exposed to coke oven emissions. Environ Health Perspect, 114, 673-7.
- Mandrekar P, Catalano D, White B, et al (2006). Moderate alcohol intake in humans attenuates monocyte inflammatory responses: inhibition of nuclear regulatory factor kappa B and induction of interleukin 10. Alcohol Clin Exp Res, 30, 135-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-0277.2006.00012.x
- Masri F (2010). Role of nitric oxide and its metabolites as potential markers in lung cancer. Ann Thorac Med, 5, 123-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/1817-1737.65036
- Mukhopadhyay S, Hoidal JR, Mukherjee TK (2006). Role of TNF alpha in pulmonary pathophysiology. Respir Res, 7, 125. https://doi.org/10.1186/1465-9921-7-125
- Nagai S, Takeuchi M, Watanabe K, et al (1988). Smoking and interleukin-1 activity released from human alveolar macrophages in healthy subjects. Chest, 94, 694-700. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.94.4.694
- Nan HM, Kim H, Lim HS, et al (2001). Effects of occupation, lifestyle and genetic polymorphisms of CYP1A1, CYP2E1, GSTM1 and GSTT1 on urinary 1-hydroxypyrene and 2-naphthol concentrations. Carcinogenesis, 22, 787-93. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/22.5.787
- National Toxicology Program (2011). Coke-oven emissions. Rep Carcinog, 12, 120-2.
- Nerurkar PV, Okinaka L, Aoki C, et al (2000). CYP1A1, GSTM1, and GSTP1 genetic polymorphisms and urinary 1-hydroxypyrene excretion in non-occupationally exposed individuals. Cancer Epidemiol Bio Prev, 9, 1119-22.
- Niewoehner DE, Rubins JB (2003). Clinical utility of tumor markers in the management of non-small cell lung cancer. Methods Mol Med, 75, 135-41.
- Pavanello S, Kapka L, Siwinska E, et al (2008). Micronuclei related to anti-B[a]PDE-DNA adduct in peripheral blood lymphocytes of heavily polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon-exposed nonsmoking coke-oven workers and controls. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 17, 2795-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-08-0346
- Pongpiachan S, Choochuay C, Hattayanone M , et al (2013a). Temporal and spatial distribution of particulate carcinogens and mutagens in Bangkok, Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1879-87. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1879
- Pongpiachan S (2013b). Vertical distribution and potential risk of particulate polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in high buildings of Bangkok, Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1865-77. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1865
- Pongpiachan S, Ho KF, Cao J (2013c). Estimation of gas-particle partitioning coefficients (Kp) of carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in carbonaceous aerosols collected at Chiang-Mai, Bangkok and Hat-Yai, Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2461-76. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2461
- Seemanna MD, Beinert T, Furst H, et al (1999). An evaluation of the tumour markers, carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA), cytokeratin marker (CYFRA 21-1) and neuron-specific enolase (NSE) in the differentiation of malignant from benign solitary pulmonary lesions. Lung Cancer, 26, 149-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5002(99)00084-7
- Siwinska E, Mielzynska D, Kapka L (2004). Association between urinary 1-hydroxypyrene and genotoxic effects in coke oven workers. Occup Environ Med, 61, e10. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.2002.006643
- Balogh LM, Roberts AG, Shireman LM, et al (2008). The stereochemical course of 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal metabolism by glutathione S- transferases. J Biol Chem, 283, 16702-10. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M801725200
- Baselt RC (1980). Biological monitoring methods for industrial chemicals. Davis, CA, Biomedical Publications, 207-11.
- Bass A, Brdicka PE, Eyer P, et al (1969). Metabolic differentiation of distinct muscle types at the level of enzymatic organization. Eur J Biochem, 10, 198-206. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1969.tb00674.x
- Behrend L, Henderson G, Zwacka RM (2003). Reactive oxygen species in oncogenic transformation. Biochem Soc Trans, 31, 1441-4. https://doi.org/10.1042/BST0311441
- Behnampour N, Hajizadeh E, Zayeri F, et al (2014). Modeling of influential predictors of gastric cancer incidence rates in Golestan Province, North Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1111-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1111
- Bindu MP, Annamalai PT (2004). Combined effect of alcohol and cigarette smoke on lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in rats. Indian. J Biochem Biophys, 41, 40-4.
- Bjerner J, Hogetveit A, Wold Akselberg K, et al (2008). Reference intervals for carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA), CA125, MUC1, Alfa-foeto-protein (AFP), neuron-specific enolase (NSE) and CA19.9 from the NORIP study. Scand J Clin Lab Invest, 68, 703-13. https://doi.org/10.1080/00365510802126836
- Body JJ, Sculier JP, Raymakers N, et al (1990). Evaluation of squamous cell carcinoma antigen as a new marker for lung cancer. Cancer, 65, 1552-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19900401)65:7<1552::AID-CNCR2820650717>3.0.CO;2-D
- Brennan FM, McInnes IB (2008). Evidence that cytokines play a role in rheumatoid arthritis. J Clin Invest, 118, 3537-45. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI36389
- Andrisani G, Guidi L, Papa A, et al (2012). Anti-TNF alpha therapy in the management of extraintestinal manifestation of inflammatory bowel disease. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci, 16, 890-901.
- Bae S, Pan XC, Kim SY, et al (2010). Exposures to particulate matter and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and oxidative stress in schoolchildren. Environ Health Perspect, 118, 579-83.
- Buege JA, Aust SD (1978). Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods Enzymol, 52, 301-10.
- Chelchowska M, Ambroszkiewicz J, Gajewska J, et al (2011). The effect of tobacco smoking during pregnancy on plasma oxidant and antioxidant status in mother and newborn. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol, 155, 132-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejogrb.2010.12.006
- Cho A, Hur J, Hong YJ, et al (2013). NSCLC subtype prediction using cytologic fluid specimens from needle aspiration biopsies. Am J Clin Pathol, 139, 309-16. https://doi.org/10.1309/AJCPYOJYG56UNBSZ
- Chu XY, Hou XB, Song W, et al (2011). Diagnostic values of SCC, CEA, Cyfra21-1 and NSE for lung cancer in patients with suspicious pulmonary masses. Cancer Biol Thera, 11, 995-1000. https://doi.org/10.4161/cbt.11.12.15526
- Corona AW, Fenn AM, Godbout JP (2011). Cognitive and behavioral consequences of impaired immunoregulation in aging. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol, 7, 7-23.
- Doolan G, Benke G, Giles G (2014). An update on occupation and prostate cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 501-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.501
- Doruk S, Ozyurt H, Inonu H, et al (2011). Oxidative status in the lungs associated with tobacco smoke exposure. Clin Chem Lab Med, 49, 2007-12.
- Emin Erbaycu A, Gunduz A, Batum O, et al (2010). Pretreatment and treatment-induced neuron-specific enolase in patients with small-cell lung cancer: an open prospective study. Arch Bronconeumol, 46, 364-9.
- Fleischhacker M, Beinert T (1999). Tumour markers-new aspects of an old discussion? Eur J Med Res, 4, 144 -8.
- Gao M, Long J, Li Y, et al (2010). Mitochondrial decay is involved in BaP-induced cervical damage. Free Radic Biol Med, 49, 1735-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2010.09.003
- Gowland B, McIntosh A, Davies I, et al (2002). Implications froma field study regarding the relationship between polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and glutathione S-transferase activity in mussels. Mar Environ Res, 54, 231-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-1136(02)00129-0
- Guo R, Ren J (2010). Alcohol and acetaldehyde in public health: from marvel to menace. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 7, 1285-301. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph7041285
- Habig WH, Jakoby WB (1981). Assays for differentiation of glutathione S-transferase. Methods Enzymol, 77, 398-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(81)77053-8
- Ho YJ, Hsieh JF, Tasi SC, et al (2000). Tissue polypeptide specific antigen and squamous cell carcinoma antigen for early prediction of recurrence in lung squamous cell carcinoma. Lung, 178, 75-80. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004080000010
- Hong YC, Park EY, Park MS, et al (2009). Community level exposure to chemicals and oxidative stress in adult population. Toxicol Lett, 184, 139-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxlet.2008.11.001
- Hur J, Lee HJ, Nam JE, et al (2012). Additional diagnostic value of tumor markers in cytological fluid for diagnosis of non-small-cell lung cancer. Huretal BMC Cancer, 12, 392. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-12-392
- IARC (1983). Monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans. Polycyclic aromatic compounds. Part 1. Chemical, environmental and experimental data. IARC, 32.
- IARC (1987). Monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans. IARC, Suppl 7.
- Jongeneelen FJ, Anzion RBM (1990). Analyses of hazardous substances in biological materials. Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, 3, 151-69.
- Jongeneelen FJ, Anzion RBM, Henderson PT (1987). Determination of hydroxylated metabolites of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in urine. J Chromatgr, 413, 227-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4347(87)80230-X
- Kendig DM, Tarloff JB (2007). Inactivation of lactate dehydrogenase by several chemicals: Implications for in vitro toxicology studies. Toxicology in Vitro, 21, 125-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2006.08.004
- Leng S, Dai Y, Niu Y, et al (2004). Effects of genetic polymorphisms of metabolic enzymes on cytokinesisblock micronucleus in peripheral blood lymphocyte among coke-oven workers. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 13, 1631-9.
- Liang J, Qian Y, Xu D, et al (2013). Serum tumor markers, hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alpha HIF-1 alpha and vascular endothelial growth factor, in patients with non-small cell lung cancer before and after intervention. Asian Pac J Cancer P, 14, 3851-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3851