- Volume 15 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Risk of Endometrial Cancer: a Mini-Review
- Tokmak, Aytekin (Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Dr Zekai Tahir Burak Woman's Health Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Kokanali, Mahmut Kuntay (Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Dr Zekai Tahir Burak Woman's Health Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Guzel, Ali Irfan (Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Dr Zekai Tahir Burak Woman's Health Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Kara, Aydan (Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Dr Zekai Tahir Burak Woman's Health Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Topcu, Hasan Onur (Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Dr Zekai Tahir Burak Woman's Health Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Cavkaytar, Sabri (Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Dr Zekai Tahir Burak Woman's Health Education and Research Hospital)
- Published : 2014.09.15
The polycystic ovary syndrome is the most common endocrinological disorder of reproductive age women with a prevalence of 5 to 8 %. The most common diagnostic criteria used for polycystic ovary syndrome are oligo- or an-ovulation, clinical and/ or biochemical signs of hyperandrogenism and polycystic ovaries. Hyperandrogenism results in increased estrogen levels and lack of cyclic progesterone due to anovulation and persistent stimulation of the endometrium may lead to endometrial hyperplasia or adenocarcinoma development. In this mini review, we aimed to evaluate the possible relationship between polycystic ovary syndrome and endometrial cancer.
- Arab M, Noghabaei G, Kazemi SN (2014). Comparison of crude and age-specific incidence rates of breast, ovary, endometrium and cervix cancers in Iran, 2005. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2461-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2461
- Barry JA, Azizia MM, Hardiman PJ (2014). Risk of endometrial, ovarian and breast cancer in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hum Reprod Update, [Epub ahead of print].
- Binesh F, Akhavan A, Behniafard N, Jalilian S (2014). Endometrial adenocarcinoma: clinicopathologic and survival characteristics in Yazd, Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2797-801. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2797
- Broekmans FJ, Fauser BC (2006). Diagnostic criteria for polycystic ovarian syndrome. Endocrine, 30, 3-11. https://doi.org/10.1385/ENDO:30:1:3
- Clarke CL., Adams JB, Wren BG (1982). Induction of estrogen sulfotransferase in the human endometrium by progesterone in organ culture. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 55, 70-5. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-55-1-70
- Crosbie EJ, Roberts C, Qian W, et al (2012). Body mass index does not influence post-treatment survival in early stage endometrial cancer: results from the MRC ASTEC trial. Eur J Cancer, 48, 853-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2011.10.003
- De Pergola G, Silvestris F (2013). Obesity as a major risk factor for cancer. J Obes, 2013, 291546.
- Di Cristofano A, Ellenson LH (2007). Endometrial carcinoma. Annu Rev Pathol, 2, 57-85. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pathol.2.010506.091905
- Dumesic DA, Lobo RA (2013). Cancer risk and PCOS. Steroids. 78, 782-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.steroids.2013.04.004
- Eritja N, Mirantes C, Llobet D, et al (2013). Long-term estradiol exposure is a direct mitogen for insulin/EGF-primed endometrial cells and drives PTEN loss-induced hyperplasic growth. Am J Pathol.183, 277-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajpath.2013.03.008
- Escobar-Morreale HF, Luque-Ramirez M, San Millan JL (2005). The molecular-genetic basis of functional hyperandrogenism and the polycystic ovary syndrome. Endocr Rev, 26, 251-82. https://doi.org/10.1210/er.2004-0004
- Fauser BC, Tarlatzis BC, Rebar RW, et al (2012). Consensus on women's health aspects of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): the Amsterdam ESHRE/ASRM-Sponsored 3rd
- PCOS Consensus Workshop Group. Fertil Steri, 97, 28-38. Fearnley EJ, Marquart L, Spurdle AB, Weinstein P, Webb PM (2010). Polycystic ovary syndrome increases the risk of endometrial cancer in women aged less than 50 years: an Australian case-control study. Cancer Causes Control, 21, 2303-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-010-9658-7
- Franks S, Mason H, Willis D (2000). Follicular dynamics in the polycystic ovary syndrome. Mol Cell Endocrinol, 163, 49-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0303-7207(99)00239-7
- Goodarzi M, Dumesic DA, Chazenbalk G, Azziz R (2011). Polycystic ovary syndrome: etiology, pathogenesis and diagnosis. Nat Rev Endocrinol, 7, 219-31. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrendo.2010.217
- Hanprasertpong J, Sakolprakraikij S, Geater A (2008). Endometrial cancer in Thai women aged 45 years or younger. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 58-62.
- Haoula Z, Salman M, Atiomo W (2012). Evaluating the association between endometrial cancer and polycystic ovary syndrome. Hum Reprod, 27, 1327-31. https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/des042
- Janssen JA, Varewijck AJ (2014). Insulin analogs and cancer: a note of caution. Front Endocrinol, 5, 79.
- Kaaks R, Lukanova A, Kurzer MS (2002). Obesity, endogenous hormones, and endometrial cancer risk: a synthetic review. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 11, 1531-43.
- Kato S, Masuhiro Y, Watanabe M, et al (2000). Molecular mechanismof a cross-talk between oestrogen and growth factor signalling pathways. Genes Cells, 5, 593-601. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2443.2000.00354.x
- Kim JJ, Chapman-Davis E (2010). Role of progesterone in endometrial cancer. Semin Reprod Med, 28, 81-90. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0029-1242998
- Kitawaki J, Yamamoto T, Okada H (1998). Induction of estradiol dehydrogenase activity in human uterine endometrium by synthetic steroids. J Endocrinol Investig, 11, 351-54.
- Lathi RB, Hess AP, Tulac S, et al (2005). Dose-dependent insulin regulation of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1 in human endometrial stromal cells is mediated by distinct signaling pathways. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 90, 1599-606. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2004-1676
- Lee WL, Lee FK, Su WH et al (2012). Hormone therapy for younger patients with endometrial cancer. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol, 51, 495-505. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tjog.2012.09.003
- Li X, Shao R (2014). PCOS and obesity: insulin resistance might be a common etiology for the development of type I endometrial carcinoma. Am J Cancer Res, 15, 73-9.
- Livadas S, Pappas C, Karachalios A, et al (2014). Prevalence and impact of hyperandrogenemia in 1,218 women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Endocrine, [Epub ahead of print].
- Mu N, Zhu Y, Wang Y, Zhang H, Xue F (2012). Insulin resistance: a significant risk factor of endometrial cancer. Gynecol Oncol, 125, 751-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2012.03.032
- Nandi A, Chen Z, Patel R, Poretsky L (2014). Polycystic ovary syndrome. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am, 43, 123-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecl.2013.10.003
- Quezada S, Avellaira C, Johnson MC, et al (2006). Evaluation of steroid receptors, coregulators, andmolecules associatedwith uterine receptivity in secretory endometria from untreated women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril, 85, 1017-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2005.09.053
- Rowlands IJ, Weinstein P, Nagle CM, et al (2011). Season of birth and risk of endometrial cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1193-6.
- Shafiee MN, Chapman C, Barrett D, Atiomo W (2013). Reviewing the molecular mechanisms which increase endometrial cancer risk in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome: time for paradigm shift? Gynecol Oncol, 131, 489-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2013.06.032
- Shen ZQ, Zhu HT, Lin JF (2008). Reverse of progestin-resistant atypical endometrial hyperplasia by metformin and oral contraceptives. Obstet Gynecol, 112, 465-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0b013e3181719b92
- Sinreih M, Hevir N, Rizner TL (2013). Altered expression of genes involved in progesterone biosynthesis, metabolism and action in endometrial cancer. Chem Biol Interact, 202, 210-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2012.11.012
- Sirmans SM, Pate KA (2013). Epidemiology, diagnosis, and management of polycystic ovary syndrome. Clin Epidemiol, 6, 1-13.
- Subramaniam KS, Tham ST, Mohamed Z, et al (2013). Cancer-associated fibroblasts promote proliferation of endometrial cancer cells. PLoS One, 8, 68923. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0068923
- Teede H, Deeks A, Moran L (2010). Polycystic ovary syndrome: a complex condition with psychological, reproductive and metabolic manifestations that impacts on health across the lifespan. BMC Med, 8, 41. https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-8-41
- Wang HL, Liu MM, Ma X, et al (2014). Expression and effects of JMJD2A histone demethylase in endometrial carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3051-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3051
- Yang S, Thiel KW, Leslie KK (2011). Progesterone: the ultimate endometrial tumor suppressor. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 22, 145-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tem.2011.01.005
- Cadmium exposure and endometrial cancer risk: A large midwestern U.S. population-based case-control study vol.12, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0179360