- Volume 47 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Applicability of a Space-time Rainfall Downscaling Algorithm Based on Multifractal Framework in Modeling Heavy Rainfall Events in Korean Peninsula
강우의 시공간적 멀티프랙탈 특성에 기반을 둔 강우다운스케일링 기법의 한반도 호우사상에 대한 적용성 평가
- Received : 2014.08.18
- Accepted : 2014.09.16
- Published : 2014.09.30
This study analyzed the applicability of a rainfall downscaling algorithm in space-time multifractal framework (RDSTMF) in Korean Peninsula. To achieve this purpose, the 8 heavy rainfall events that occurred in Korea during the period between 2008 and 2012 were analyzed using the radar rainfall imagery. The result of the analysis indicated that there is a strong tendency of the multifractality for all 8 heavy rainfall events. Based on the multifractal exponents obtained from the analysis, the parameters of the RDSTMF were obtained and the relationship between the average intensity of the rainfall events and the parameters of the RDSTMF was developed. Based on this relationship, the synthetic space-time rainfall fields were generated using the RDSTMF. Then, the generated synthetic space-time rainfall fields were compared to the observation. The result of the comparison indicated that the RDSTMF can accurately reproduce the multifractal exponents of the observed rainfall field up to 3rd order and the cumulative density function of the observed space-time rainfall field with a reasoable accuracy.
- Arnaud, P., Bouvier, C., Cisneros, L., and Dominguez, R. (2002). "Influence of rainfall spatial variability on flood prediction." Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 260, No. 1, pp. 216-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(01)00611-4
- Choi, J., Song, C., Lee, J., Hong, S., and Bang, C. (2011). "Development of a Dynamic Downscaling Method using a General Circulation Model (CCSM3) of the Regional Climate Model (MM5)." Journal of the Korean Society of Climate Change Research, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 93-106.
- Cox, P.M., Betts, R.A., Jones, C.D., Spall, S.A., and Totterdell, I.J. (2000). "Acceleration of global warming due to carbon-cycle feedbacks in a coupled climate model." Nature, Vol. 408, No. 6809, pp. 184-187. https://doi.org/10.1038/35041539
- Deidda, R. (2000). "Rainfall downscaling in a space time multifractal framework." Water Resources Research, Vol. 36, No. 7, pp. 1779-1794. https://doi.org/10.1029/2000WR900038
- Giorgi, F., Hewitson, B., Christensen, J., Fu, C., Jones, R., Hulme, M., Mearns, L., Von Storch, H., and Whetton, P. (2001). Regional climate information-Evaluation and projections, in Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis, edited by J. T. Houghton et al., pp. 583-638, Cambridge Univ. Press, New York.
- Goodess, C.M., Anagnostopoulou, C., Bardossy, A., Frei, C., Harpham, C., Haylock, M.R., Hundecha, Y., Maheras, P., Ribalaygua, J., Schmidli, J., Schmith, T., Tolika, K., Tomozeiu, R., and Wilby, R.L. (2007). An intercomparison of statistical downscaling methods for Europe and European regions-assessing their performance with respect to extreme temperature and precipitation events. Climatic Change.
- IPCC(Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) (2013). The Physical Science Basis.
- Kim, S., Lim, G., Chang, K., Jung, J.-W., Kim, K., and Park, C. (2008). "Multifractal analysis of Rainfalls in Korean Peninsula." Journal of Korean Physical Society, Vol. 52, No. 3, pp. 669-672. https://doi.org/10.3938/jkps.52.669
- Kim, S.Y., Lim, G., Chang, K., Jung, J., Kim, K., and Park, C.H. (2008). "Multifractal analysis of rainfalls in Korean peninsula." Journal-Korean Physical Society, Vol. 52, No. 3, pp. 669-672. https://doi.org/10.3938/jkps.52.669
- Kim, T., Min, Y., Oh, J., and Kim, D. (2002). "Numerical modeling of the climate in the east Asia using dynamic downscaling method." Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society, Atmosphere, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 475-479.
- Kwon, H., and Kim, B. (2009). "Development of Statistical Downscaling Model Using Nonstationary Markov Chain." Journal of the Korea Water Resources Association, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 213-225. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2009.42.3.213
- Kyoung, M., Lee, J., and Kim, H. (2009). "Downscaling Technique of Monthly GCM Using Daily Precipitation Generator." Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers B, Vol. 29, No. 5B, pp. 441-452.
- Marani, M.,G. Grossi, F., Napolitano, M., Wallace, Entekhabi, D. (1997) "Forcing intermittency and land surface hydrologic partitioning." Water Resources Research, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 167-175. https://doi.org/10.1029/96WR02670
- Mearns, L.O., Giorgi, F., Whetton, P., Pabon, D., Hulme, M., and Lal, M. (2003). Guidelines for use of climate scenarios developed from regional climate model experiments, technical report, Data Distrib. Cent., Intergovt. Panel on Clim. Change, Norwich, U. K.
- Moon, Y., and Cha, Y. (2009). "Simulation of Daily Precipitation Data Using Nonhomogeneous Markov Model I-Theory." Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers B, Vol. 24, No. 5B, pp. 431-435.
- National Research Council (2001). Climate Change Science: An Analysis of Some Key Questions. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press
- Oreskes, N. (2004). "The scientific consensus on climate change." Science, Vol. 306 No. 5702, pp. 1686. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1103618
- Pileke Jr., R.A. (2005). "Consensus about climate change?." Science, Vol. 308, No. 5724, pp. 952-953. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.308.5724.952
- Schmidli, J., Goodess, C.M., Frei, C., Haylock, M.R., Hundecha, Y., Ribalaygua, J., and Schmith, T. (2007). "Statistical and dynamical downscaling of precipitation: An evaluation and comparison of scenarios for the European Alps." Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, Vol. 112, Issue D4, No. 27.
- Singh, V.P. (1997). "Effect of spatial and temporal variability in rainfall and watershed characteristics on stream flow hydrograph." Hydrological Processes, Vol. 11, No. 12, pp. 1649-1669. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1085(19971015)11:12<1649::AID-HYP495>3.0.CO;2-1
- Taylor, K.E., Stouffer, R.J., and Meehl, G.A. (2012). "An overview of CMIP5 and the experiment design." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, Vol. 93, No. 4, pp. 485-498. https://doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-11-00094.1
- von Storch, H., Zorita, E., and Cubasch, U. (1993), "Downscaling of global climate change estimates to regional scales: An application to Iberian rainfall in wintertime." Journal of Climate, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 1161-1171. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0442(1993)006<1161:DOGCCE>2.0.CO;2
- Wilby, R.L., Hay, L.E., Gutowski, W.J., Arritt, R.W., Takle, E.S., Pan, Z.,Leavesley, G. H., and Clark, M.P. (2000). "Hydrological responses to dynamically and statistically downscaled climate model output." Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 27, No. 8, pp. 1199-1202. https://doi.org/10.1029/1999GL006078
- Wilby, R.L., Charles, S.P., Zorita, E., Timbal, B., Whetton, P., and Mearns, L.O. (2004). Guidelines for use of climate scenarios developed from statistical downscaling methods, technical report, Data Distrib. Cent., Intergovt. Panel on Clim. Change, Norwich, U. K.
- Wood, E.F., Sivapalan, M., Beven, K., and Band, L. (1988). "Effects of spatial variability and scale with implications to hydrologic modeling." Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 102, No. 1, pp. 29-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1694(88)90090-X
- Analysis of Changes in Rainfall Frequency Under Different Thresholds and Its Synoptic Pattern vol.36, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2016.36.5.0791
- Development of Radar Tracking Technique for the Short -Term Rainfall Field Forecasting- vol.48, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2015.48.12.995
Grant : 수문레이더기반 홍수예경보 및 폭설 추정 플랫폼 개발
Supported by : 한국건설기술연구원