- Volume 27 Issue 2
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to evaluate middle school students' knowledge and attitudes related to breast feeding. Methods: The knowledge and attitudes related to breast feeding were measured by structured questionnaires. Data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, t-test, one-way ANOVA, and Pearson correlation, using the SPSS/WIN 17.0 program. Results: The level of knowledge of breast feeding was 9.02 points out of 25 points, in average. Attitudes towards breast feeding was 3.77 points out of 5 points, in average. There were significant differences in the knowledge of breast feeding according to grade, feeding type, family type, experiences of observing breast feeding, experiences of obtaining breast feeding information, will to practice breast feeding, and the reasons for low breast feeding rate. There were significant differences in attitudes towards breast feeding according to gender, grade, feeding type, family type, experiences of observing breast feeding, experiences of obtaining breast feeding information, timing of breast feeding education, will to practice breast feeding, and the reasons for low breast feeding rate. There was a significant positive correlation between the knowledge of breast feeding and attitudes towards breast feeding. Conclusion: Middle school students should be provided with various education programs to improve their knowledge of and attitudes toward breast feeding.
Supported by : 호남대학교
- Cho, E. A., & Kim, K. H. (2013). Knowledge, attitude and education needs regarding breast feeding of women's mothers and mother-in-low. Journal of the Korean Society of Dietary Culture, 28 (3), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2013.28.1.001
- Cho, J. M. (2009). The effects of regular health education affecting health knowledge, attitude, behavior on middle school students. The Journal of the Korean Society of School Health, 22 (2), 49-59.
- Choi, K. S., & Lee, H. J. (2006). A study on knowledges and attitudes about breast milk feeding and needs for breast milk feeding education among high school students. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 11 (2), 191-204.
- Jung, J. H., Kim, M. K., Park, J. S., Shin, K. S., & Park, E. J. (2010). A survey on understanding and actual condition of breastfeeding of woman at oriental medicine hospital postpartum care center. The Journal of Korean Oriental Pediatrics, 24 (2), 13-21.
- Jung, K. H. (1997). Effect of the nursing intervention program on promoting the breast-feeding practice in primipara. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha University, Seoul.
- Jin, S. H. (2011). Knowledge and perception toward breast feeding of the spouses of the mothers. Unpublished master's thesis, Yeungnam University, Daegu.
- Kavanagh, K. F., Lou, Z., Nicklas, J. C., Habibi, M. F., & Murphy, L. T. (2012). Breastfeeding knowledge, attitudes, prior exposure, and intent among undergraduate students. Journal of Human Latation, 28 (4), 556-564. https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334412446798
- Kim, J. H., Park, S. W., Shin, S. M., Sung, I. K., Park, M. J., Chung, Y. M., et al. (2007). A review of the contents about childhood health care in middle & high school textbooks. Korean Journal of Pediatrics, 50 (4), 340-347. https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2007.50.4.340
- Kim, S. G., Cho, A. J., Kim, Y. K., Doh, S. R.,& Lee, G. W. (2006). (The) survey on the national fertility, family health and welfare in Korea. 310-311, Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
- Kim, S. G., Kim, Y. K., Cho, A. J., Cho, H. R., & Lim, S. E. (2009). The 2009 National survey on fertility, family health and welfare in Korea. 282-294, Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
- Kim, S. H. (2009). Factors explaining mothers breastfeeding satisfaction. Journal of Korean Academy of Womens Health Nursing, 15 (4), 270-279. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.4.270
- Kim, S. H., & Choi, E. S. (2001). The knowledge and attitude on breast feeding of female university students. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 7 (1), 93-106.
- Kim, Y. H., Kwon, B. S., Nam, H. K., Ahn, M. S., Yang, Y. O., Oh, S. E., et al. (2011). Wong's essentials of pediatric nursing (8th ed.). 672-684, Seoul: Hyunmoonsa.
- Lee, E. J. (1997). The effect of prenatal breastfeeding education on breastfeeding practice and retension of knowledge. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Lee, H. K., Song, Y., & Kang, N. M. (2008). A survey of female college students knowledge and attitudes toward breastfeeding. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 13 (3), 367-373.
- Lee, J. Y., Park, S. W., & Park, J. H. (2002). A survey on breastfeeding practices and its related factors in Pohang City. Journal of the Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health, 6 (1), 149-167.
- Lee, K. H., Lee, Y. S., Ko, M. S., Kim, H. J., Park, N. J., Park, Y, J., et al. (2011). Maternity & women's health nursing II. 44-53, Seoul: Hyunmoon.
- OECD(2009). http://www.oecd.org/els/family/43136964.pdf
- Park, C. M. (2002). A study on factors related to the practice of breast-feeding. Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 19 (2), 23-43.
- Park, K. M., Jung, S. J., Lee, J. E., & Kim, S. E. (2012). The effects of school health education on health knowledge, health attitude and health behavior among middle school students. The Journal of the Korean Society of School Health, 25 (1), 68-76
- Sohn, I. H. (2007). A study on the affecting know ledge about, attitudes towards and practice of breast-feeding. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Song, B. S., Cho, J. H., Lee, I. Y., & Kim, M. K. (2008). A study on knowledge on breast feeding of college students by their general characteristics. Journal of the Korean Society of Dietary Culture, 23 (2), 268-272.
- Song, Y., Kim, A. J., Lee, Y. S., Yoo, T. W., & Kang, N. M. (2007). Evaluation the breastfeeding information websites for Korean adolescents. The Korean Journal of Food and Nutrition, 20 (4), 487-493.
- Spear, H. J. (2007). College students' experiences and attitudes regarding middle and high school-based breastfeeding education. The Journal of School Nursing, 23 (5), 276-282. https://doi.org/10.1177/10598405070230050601
- Yeo, J. H. (2005). Influencing factors in breast feeding duration. Journal of Korean Academy of Women Health Nursing, 11 (2), 142-147.
- Yun, S. N., Kim, Y. I., Choi, J. M., Cho, H. S., Kim, Y. H., Park, Y. N., et al. (2005). Health education needs of students, parents and teachers and the status of health education in elementary, middle, and high schools. The Journal of The Korean Society of School Health, 18 (1), 1-14.
- Belief factors associated with breastfeeding intentions of single women: Based on the theory of planned behavior vol.50, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2017.50.3.284