- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effects of Professional Oral Care for Long-term Patients in Nursing Facilities on the Streptococcus mutans Population in the Intraoral Region
전문가구강관리가 요양병원 장기입원환자들의 구강 내 Streptococcus mutans 수에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2014.03.28
- Accepted : 2014.08.07
- Published : 2014.08.31
In this study, professional oral care was provided and 3 times a day twice a week by a dental hygienist for 3 months from July 24 to October 25, 2011, to 43 long-term patients in a single nursing facility located at the city of D, and the number of mutans strepococci colonies within the saliva and the level of salivation were then analyzed after 3 samplings with an interval of 1 month to compare the intraoral conditions among the subjects and examine the effects of professional oral care on the Streptococcus mutans population in the intraoral region of long-term patients in a nursing facility. The level of salivation was elevated from 5.8 ml to 6.4 ml after one month and to 7.5mL after two months. The population of bacteria decreased from
Professional Oral Care;Streptococcus mutans
- Results offuturepopulationand householdtrends, 2010, Statistics Korea, 2010.
- Health behaviorsand chronic disease statistics 2009, KIHASA, 2009
- Health Insurance Review & Assessmsnt Service. "Nation Health Insurance Statistical Yearbook for 2012", www.nhic.or.kr/portal, June 2012.
- S, B. Yang., H, S. Moon., D, H. Han., H, Y. Lee., M., K. Chung. "Oral health status and treatment need of institutionalized elderly patients", The Journal of Korean Academy of prosthodontics, Vol. 46, No. 5, pp.455-469, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2008.46.5.455 https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2008.46.5.455
- Wolff, A., Ship, J.A., Tylenda, C.A., Fox, P.C., Baum, B.J., "Oral mucosal appearance is unchanged in healthy, different-aged person", Oral Med. Oral Pathol Vol. 71, pp. 569-572, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(91)90364-I https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(91)90364-I
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, National oral Health Survey, pp.133-474, 2010.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2006 National oral Health Survey, Vol. 1, No.2, pp. 53, 2007.
- Ei-solh, A.A.,"Association Between Pneumoina and Oral Care in Nursing Home Residents", Lung, Vol. 189, No. 3, pp. 173-180, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00408-011-9297-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00408-011-9297-0
- K, W. Kim., H, J. Yoon., M, R. Kim., H, K. Lee., K, S. Lee. "Effects of Oral Hygiene Improvement of the Elderly Patients by Caregiver's in Rural Long-term Care Hospital", Korean Society for Agricultural Medicine and Community Health, Vol. 35, no. 1, pp.13-20, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2010.35.1.013 https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2010.35.1.013
- J, H. Lee. "Oral Health Status and Care Needs of Elderly Patients in Long-Term Care Hospital", \Unpublished master,s thesis, Yeungnam University, Daegu, 2011.
- K, W. Um. "Study on Problems and Improvement of the training and certification system of the care worker", The local development research, Vol. 10, no.2, pp. 87-112, 2011.
- G, A. Jang. "Effect of mouth gymnastics on the improvement of oral function",Unpublished master,s thesis, Kosin University, Busan, 2011.
- J, H. Park. "Impacts of High Blood Pressure and Diabetes on Oral Health Conditions",Unpublished master,s thesis, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, 2007.
- Adam H., Preston A.J., "The oral health of individuals with dementia in nursing homes", Gerodontology,Vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 99-105, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2006.00118.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2006.00118.x
- S, M. Jeong. Prosthodontics, DaehanNarae,Seoul, 2009.
- S, M. Choi. " The effects of professional oral health care on oral health states of long-term care patients in geriatric hospital",Unpublished master,s thesis,Yeungnam University, Daegu, 2011.
- Senior Smiles: preliminary results for a new model of oral health care utilizing the dental hygienist in residential aged care facilities vol.14, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/idh.12187