- Volume 15 Issue 8
Recently, the use of nanotechnology in products is constantly expanding, and the problems on human health hazard has emerged as a major issue. A nanomaterials regulatory policy on the products is urgently required. This study analyzed the introduction of regulatory policies of nanomaterials contained in industrial products. In this study, the AHP (Analytic Hierarchy Process) method was applied and three regulatory policies were evaluated to analyze the validity of the introduction of a nanomaterials regulatory policy. To select the optimal regulatory policy, the policy evaluation criteria were set as enforcement (effectiveness), economics, acceptability, and protection. For the regulatory policies, self-regulation, product labelling, and enforced registration were introduced and evaluated as the regulatory policies, and product labelling was selected as the optimal regulatory policy.
Product Safety;Safety Management;Nanomaterials;Regulatory Policy
- S. Maeng and I. Yoo, "The Concept of Nanotoxicology and Risk Assessment of the Nano Particles", Journal of Toxicology and Public Health, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 87-98, 2005.
- S. Son, "Skin Absorption and Toxicity of Nano Particles", Korean Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology News, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 37-40, 2009.
- Y. Kim and J. Lee, "The Toxic Properties of Nano-technology", News & Information for Chemical Engineers, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 338-342, 2005.
- A. Biswas, Z. Marton, J. Kanzow, J. Kruse, V. Zaporojtchenko and F. Faupel, " Controlled Generation of Ni Nanoparticles in the Capping Layers of Teflon AF by Vapor-Phase Tandem Evaporation", Nano Letters, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 73, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl020228f https://doi.org/10.1021/nl020228f
- G. Oberster, E. Oberster and J. Oberster, "Nanotoxicology: an emerging discipline evolving from studies of ultrafine particles", Environmental Health Perspectives, Vol. 113, pp. 823-839, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1289/ehp.7339 https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.7339
- G. Oberster, et al., "Principles for characterizing the potential human health effects from exposure to nanomaterials: elements of a screening strategy", Particle and Fiber Toxicology, Vol. 2, pp. 8-30, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1743-8977-2-8 https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-8977-2-8
- N. Li, C Sioutas and A. Cho, "Ultrafine particulate pollutants induce oxidative stress and mitochondrial damage", Environmental Health Perspectives", Vol. 111, pp. 455-460, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1289/ehp.6000 https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.6000
- R. Savic, L. Luo, A. Eisenberg and D. Maysinger, "Micellar nanocontainers distribute to defined cytoplasmic organelles, Science, pp. 615-618, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.1078192 https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1078192
- A. Nel, T. Xian, L. Madler and N. Li, "Toxic potential of materials at the nanolevel, Science, pp. 622-627, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.1114397 https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1114397
- S. Kashiwada, "Distribution of nanoparticles in the see-through medaka. Environmental Health Perspectives", Vol. 114, pp. 1697-1702, 2006
- C. Poland, et al., "Carbon nanotubes introduced into the abdominal cavity of mice show asbestos-like pathogenicity in a pilot-study", Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 3, pp. 423-428, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nnano.2008.111 https://doi.org/10.1038/nnano.2008.111
- J. Chung, "The Hazard of Human Body Risk of Silver Nanoparticle", The Science and Technology, Vol. 496, pp. 52-53, 2010.
- Korea Consumer Agency, "Introduction of nano-products display system is imperative", www.kca.go.kr, 2012.2.2.
- K. Park, "Toxicity of Nanomaterials and Strategy of Risk Assessment, Environmental Health and Toxicology", Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 259-271, 2005.
- Y. Hwang, J. Lee, B. Sang and M. Koo, " Toxicity Monitoring and Assessment of Nanoparticles Using Bacteria", Korean Society for Biotechnology and Bioengineering Journal, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 414-420, 2007.
- The Korea Economic Daily, "The strongest environmental regulations comes with EU REACH", www.hankyung.com, 2007.2.26.
- H. Noh, "Performance measurement of public sector reform issues and the direction of policy evaluation", Journal of Korean Association for Policy Analysis and Evaluation, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 1-22, 2000.
- E. A. Suchman, "Evaluation Research: Principals and Practice in Public Service and Social action Program", New York: Russell Sage Foundation, p. 61, 1967.
- D. F. Poland, "Program Evaluation and Administrative Theory", Public Adminisration Review, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 335, 1974.
- W. N. Dunn, "Public Policy Analysis", Englewood Cliffs, N. J.: Prentice Hall, Inc., pp. 343, 1981.
- Nanomaterial regulatory policy for human health and environment vol.12, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13273-016-0027-9