- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Study of Adolescents' Academic Personality Types, Learning Behavioral Types and Self-determinative Learning Motivations
청소년의 학습성격유형과 학습행동유형 및 자기결정성 학습동기에 관한 연구
- Kang, Hun (Department of Education, Graduate School of Chungnam National University) ;
- Han, Sang-Hun (Department of Education, Graduate School of Chungnam National University) ;
- Ku, Ju-Hyeong (Department of Education, Graduate School of Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2014.06.18
- Accepted : 2014.08.07
- Published : 2014.08.31
This study was conducted to understand the relationships among adolescents' academic personality types (APT), learning behavioral types (LBT) and self-determinative learning motivations (SDLM). Regarding the measuring tools, the U&I APT test developed by Man-kwon KIM and Jong-cheol HAN (2002) and the learning motivation test translated by Kyeong-jin MIN (2006) were used. The study collected data from a total of 237 adolescents. First, gender did not influence the APT and LBT, and in terms of the introjected regulation as in the SDLM, female students were observed to have greater than the male students. Second, the normative type as in the APT was understood to have an identified regulation, an integrated regulation and an internal motivation as in the SDLM higher than those of the behavioral type or ideal type. Third, the normative type would be less rebellious and work harder to achieve a goal compared to the other types. Fourth, when adolescents have this motivation more voluntary and internal, they pursue greater goals for themselves, trying harder to fulfill their goals. The SDLM appeared to be related to most of the LBT.
- M. K. Kim, K. H. Lee, "The Effect of Self-Regulated Learning Strategy on Academic Achievement and Psychological Characteristics", The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 15(3), 491-504, 2003.
- J. T. Kim, H. S. Shim, MBTI, Korea Psycological Test Institute, 1991.
- Keirsey. D & Bates. M, Please understand me: An essay on temperament style. Del Mar, CA: Prometheus Publishers, 1978.
- Vallerand, Robert J. & Deshaies, Paul. & Cuerrier, Je, Ajzen and Fishbein's theory of reasoned action as applied to moral behavior : A confirmatory analysis. Psycscan Developmental psychology, Vol, No13, 1992.
- J. H. Yim, J. H. Ryu, "The impact of self-determination on academic achievement of elementary students", The Korean Journal of Educational Methodology Studies, 19(2), 163-181, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2007.19.2.163 https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2007.19.2.163
- C. I. Ahn, Forestry Psychology, SIGMA PRESS, 2004.
- Golay. K, Learning Patterns and Temperament style. Fullerton, CA: MANAS-SYSTEMS, 1982.
- M. K. Kim, J. C. Han, Learning problems text book, Yonwoo Psychological Institute, 2001.
- Y. K. Seo, "The Effect of Learner's Types on Academic Achievement : Mediated by Learning Strategies", The Graduate School Yonsei University, 2003.
- K. A. Lee, N. H. Yoo, E. K. Lee, J. Y. Chon, K. H. Lee, "The Relationship of Academic Personality Types and Major Satisfaction on Academic Achievement Related Variables", The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 16(1), 107-121, 2004.
- E. J. Jeong, "The Relationships between the Academic Personality Types and the Academic Achievement of National University of Education Students", Department of School Counseling Graduate School of Education, Kangwon National University, 2009.
- S. K. Jeon, "The Effect that Teaching Methods have on Learner's Types based Mathematical Academic Achievements", Major in Mathematics Education Graduate School of Education Kook min University, 2008.
- Heacox. D, Up from underachievement: How teacher, student, and parents can work together to promote student success. MN: Free Spirit Publishing Inc, 1991.
- Ryan, R. M & Deci, E. L, Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivations: Classic Definitions and New Directions, Contemporary Education Psychology, 25, 54-67, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1999.1020 https://doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1999.1020
- A. Y. Kim, S. A. Oh, "Classification of Motivation on the Continuum of Self-Determination", Journal of Educational Psychology, 15(4), 97-119, 2001.
- K. H. Koh, "A study on the types of academic self-regulations", The Graduate School of Ewha Womans University, 2002.
- A. Y. Kim, "Validation of taxonomy of academic Motivation based on the self-determination theory", The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, 16(4), 169-187, 2002.
- Ryan. R. M & Connell J. P, Perceived locus of causality and internalization: Examining reasons for acting in two domains. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 57(5), 749-761, 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.529 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2069
- A. Y. Kim, I. Y. Park, "Construction and Validation of Academic Self-Efficacy Scale", The Journal of Educational Research, 39(1), 95-123, 2001.
- B. G. Bak, J. U. Lee, S. P. Hong, "Reconstructing the classificatory pattern of Learning motivation proposed by self-determination theory", The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, 19(3), 699-717, 2005.
- M. S. Kim, "The Relationships of Self-Determination, Parental Supports of Learning, Academic Achievement and Learning Strategies", Major in Educational Psychology Department of Education Graduate School Chonbuk National University, 2006.
- A. Y. Kim, "Development of Standardized Student Motivation Scales", Journal of Educational Evaluation, 15(1), 157-187, 2002.
- K. J. Min, "The effects of reading instruction based on Self-Determination Theory on reading proficiency and learning motivation depending on learners' personality types", The Graduate School of Education Ewha Womans University, 2006.
- B. Y. Choi, K. H. Lew, "The Structural Relationship among the Self-determination Motivation, Self-regulated Learning, and Academic Achievement in Elementary School", Research of Education and Culture, 16(3), 183-203, 2010. https://doi.org/10.24159/joec.2010.16.3.183