- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Physical Changes in and Coping with Marriage by Immigrant Women at an Early Stage of Immigration
이주초기에 나타나는 결혼 이주여성의 신체변화와 대처
Kim, Hee-Ja;Kim, Hyun-Sook;Jeon, Mi-Yang;Lee, Hyo-Jeong;Park, Eun Young
- Received : 2014.04.24
- Accepted : 2014.06.25
- Published : 2014.08.31
Purpose: To provide an in-depth analysis of the physical changes in and marital experiences of immigrant women in Korea, considering the differences in their cultural backgrounds. Methods: A qualitative research methodology with a phenomenology perspective was used. Data were collected through interviews from four focus groups and through in-depth interviews from five individuals. Data analysis was carried out using Colaizzi's phenomenological analysis method. Results: Twenty-four participants from nine different nations were interviewed. Three phenomenological theme clusters were identified and six sub-themes were derived. These comprise: "emergence of physical changes", "experienced symptom with negative result", and "coping with my body". The derived themes comprise: "struggling for my body to survive", "changed body after pregnancy and delivery", "diagnosed as normal but", "neglected my health", "using familiar care", and "unfamiliar health service system". Conclusion: Immigrant women by marriage in Korea are new subjects of nursing care. Their physical changes and experiences in coping with marriage at an early stage of immigration as described by themselves provide valuable information for nursing professionals. Cultural differences, problems specific to women, and our social conditions regarding minorities and our patriarchal tradition that discriminates against women affect their health problems. We strongly recommend that nurses should actively determine and engage in the health problems of immigrant women.
Emigrants and immigrants;Women's health;Physical fitness;Coping behavior;Qualitative research
- Ahn, O. H., Jeon, M. S., Hwang, Y. Y., Kim, K. A., & Youn, M. S. (2010). An analysis of articles for international marriage immigrant women related to health. Journal of Agriculture Medicine Community Health, 35(2), 134-150. https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2010.35.2.134
- Choi, J. H. (2011). A study of stress and family strength of immigrant women in international marriages. Korean Journal of Family Welfare, 16(4), 29-46.
- Colaizzi, P. F. (1978). Psychosocial research as the phenomenologist views it. In R. S. Valle & M. King (ed.), Existential-Phenomenological alternatives for psychology. New York: Oxford University Press Inc.
- Cui, J. (2005). A qualitative study on the life experience for the Korean-Chinese woman in international marriage in adjustment period. The Journal of Asian Woman, 44(4), 329-364.
- Gold, D. R., & Acevedo-Garcia, D. (2005). Immigration to United States and acculturation as risk factors for asthma and allergy. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 116(1), 38-41. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1016/j.jaci.2005.04.033 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2005.04.033
- Ian, H. (2003). Traditional medicines in modern societies: an exploration of integrationist options through East Asian experience. Journal of Medicine and Philosophy, 28(3), 373-389. https://doi.org/10.1076/jmep.28.3.373.14587
- Gross, R., Brammli-Greenberg, S., & Remennick, L. (2001). Self-rated health status and health care utilization among immigrant and non-immigrant Israeli jewish women. Women & Health, 34(3), 53-69. http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/j013v34n03_04 https://doi.org/10.1300/J013v34n03_04
- Guba, E. G., & Lincoln, Y. S. (1981). Effective evaluation: Improving the usefulness of evaluation results through responsive and naturalistic approaches. San Francisco, CA: Jossey- Bass Publishers.
- Han, G. S. (2006). Family life and cultural encounter of foreign wives in rural area. Korean Cultural Anthropology, 39(2), 195-243.
- Jeon, M. S., Kang, K. J., & Park, S. H. (2011). A study on pregnancy, delivery, and infant rearing knowledge and educational need of marriage immigrant women. Journal of Agriculture Medicine Community Health, 36(3), 179-190. https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2011.36.3.179
- Jeong, G. H., Koh, H. J., Kim, K. S., Kim, S. H., Kim, J. H., & Park, H. S., et al., (2009). A Survey on health management of during pregnancy, childbirth, and the postpartum of immigrant women in a multi-cultural family. Korean Journal of Women's Health Nursing, 15(4), 261-269. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.4.261 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.4.261
- Jung, H. (2008). Migration, gender and scale: New trends and issues in the feminist migration studies. Journal of Korean Geographical Society, 43(6), 894-913.
- Kim, C., Park, M. S., & Kim, E. M. (2011). Married immigrant women's utilization of health care and needs of health services. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 22(3), 333-341. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.3.333
- Kim, G. S., & Moon, S. S. (2011). Perceived health status, health behavior and marital satisfaction in married immigrant women in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing, 25(2), 174-186.
- Kim, J. I., Park, Y. S., Yi, M. S., Bae, J. Y., Lee, S. H., Heo, M. H., et al., (2008). New perspective on women's health issues: feminist approach. Seoul: Elsevier Korea.
- Kim, H. S. (2008). International marriage migrant women in Korea. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 14(4), 248-256. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.4069/kjwhn.2008.14.4.248 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2008.14.4.248
- Kim, H. J., Kim, H. S., Jeon, M., & Lee, H. J. (2011). The current status of the visiting health care professionals of the public health center for the multicultural family's health care and their need. Journal of Health, Welfare and Education Research, 2(1), 13-24.
- Kim, H. R. (2009). Maternal health and nutritional status of marriage-based women immigrants in Korea and policy directions. Health and WelfarePolicy Forum, September, 2009, 50-64.
- Kim, M. Y., Lim, J. Y., & Chung, G. H. (2012). Effects of Korean proficiency and parent-child cohesion on self-esteem and acculturation among children from multicultural families. Journal of Korean Academic Nursing, 42(6), 879-888. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.4040/jkan.2012.42.6.879 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.6.879
- Kim, Y. S., & Park, I. Y. (2010). Experiences of acculturation among female marriage immigrants. The Korean Journal of Family, Social Work, 30(3), 269-298.
- Koh, C. K., & Koh, S. K. (2009). Married female migrants' experiences of health care services. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 15(1), 89-99. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.1.089
- Lee, E. H., Seo, G. H., So, Y. K., Yoon, G. J., Lee, K. S., Lim, S. O., et al., (2012). Transcultural Concepts in Nursing Care (M. M. Andrew & J. S. Boyle, Trans.). Paju: Soomoonsa. (original work published 2012).
- Lee, F. H., & Wang, H. H. (2005). A preliminary study of a health-promoting lifestyle among southeast asian women in taiwan. Kaohsing Journal of Medical Science, 21(3), 114-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1607-551X(09)70287-6
- Mackenzie, E. R., Taylor, L., Bloom, B. S., Hufford, D., & Johnson, J. C. (2003). Ethnic minority use of complementary and alternative medicine: A national probability survey of CAM utilizers. Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, 9(4), 50-56.
- Ministry of Gender Equality and Family. (2012). The 2nd Basic Plan of Multicultural Family's Policy, 15-16. http://www.mogef.go.kr. attached on 1, July, 2013.
- Scheppers, E., Dongen, E., Dekker, J., Geertzen, J., & Dekker, J. (2006). Potential barriers to the use of health service among ethnic minorities: A review. Family Practice, 23, 325-348. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/fampra/cmi113 https://doi.org/10.1093/fampra/cmi113
- Statistics Korea. (2011). The statistics of Marriage & Divorce in 2011. http://www.kostat.go.kr. attached on 1, July, 2013.
- Yang, J. H., Park, H. J., Kim, S. S., Kang, E. J., Byun, S. H., & Bang, J. S. (2012). Adaptation experience to family of immigrant women in multicultural family. Journal of Korean Academic Nursing, 42(1), 36-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.1.36 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.1.36
- Yang, S. J. (2011). Health behaviors and related factors among Asian immigrant women in Korea by ethnicity. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 22(1), 66-74. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.1.66
- Yang, Y., & Wang, H. (2003). Life and health concerns of Indonesian women in transnational marriage in Taiwan. Journal of Nursing Research, 11(3), 167-176. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JNR.0000347633.72476.4a