- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Development of Clinical Research Management: Enhancement of Nursing Students' Clinical Competency in Handling Clinical Trials
간호대학생의 임상시험실무역량강화를 위한 '임상연구관리' 교과목 개발
Chu, Sang Hui;Jang, Yeonsoo;Yeo, Ki-Sun;Ahn, Ji Hyeon;Kim, Doo Ree
- Received : 2014.04.23
- Accepted : 2014.06.09
- Published : 2014.08.31
Purpose: The aim of this study was to develop a new course entitled 'Clinical Research Management' to enhance nursing students' clinical competency in handling clinical trials. Methods: The goals and content of the existing current education program for clinical research professionals such as clinical research coordinators and clinical research associates provided by the Korea National Enterprise for Clinical Trials were analyzed to identify the core educational concepts. A focus group interview was performed to investigate essential competency levels for the professionals who were to begin their career in the area of clinical trials after graduating from the college of nursing. Through these initial processes, we identified the core competency required for clinical research professionals and the related course content. Goals and objectives based on the specified four competencies were set and confirmed by expertise review. Results: We developed a new course entitled Clinical Research Management, a 16-week elective subject consisting of various teaching and learning strategies based on four core competencies: basic knowledge on clinical trials, communication, risk management, and ethics. Conclusion: The results of this study will contribute to enhancing nursing students' clinical competency, including knowledge, skills, and attitudes relevant to clinical trials.
Clinical trial;Competency-based education;Nursing students
- Bowen, K. E., & Rice, L. S.(1998). Who is clinical research nurse? Research Nurse, 4(4), 1-4.
- Chu, S. H. (2009). Recognition survey on clinical trials, a research report supported by the Korea Food and Drug Administration (KFDA).
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. (2009). Standards for accreditation of baccalaureate and graduate degree nursing programs. Washington, DC: Author.
- Cho, H., & Lee, G. Y. (2006). Self esteem and career identity of nursing students. Journal of Korea community health nursing academic society, 20(2), 163-173.
- Choi, N. K., Kim, H. J., Lee, S. M., Jung, S. Y., Kim, O. J., Park, K. H., et al. (2005). Current status and preferred model of clinical trial education and certification program for investigators: a questionnaire survey. Kor J Clin Pharmacol Ther, 13(2), 186-194.
- Chu, S. H., Jeong, S. H., Kim, E. J., Park, M. S., Park, K., Nam, M., et al. (2012). The views of patients and healthy volunteers on participation in clinical trials: an exploratory survey study. Contemp Clin Trials, 33(4), 611-619. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2012.02.018
- Ha, N. S., & Choi, J. (2010). An analysis of nursing competency affecting on job satisfaction and nursing performance among clinical nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin, 16(3), 286-294. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.3.286
- Jeong, I. S. (2011). Current tasks and appropriate tasks of clinical research coordinators in Korea. J Korean Soc Clin Pharmacol Ther, 19(2), 117-129.
- Jeong, I. S., Kang, H. S., & Kim, W. O. (2007). Clinical research nurses: roles and qualification s in South Korea. Drug Inform J, 41, 251-256. https://doi.org/10.1177/009286150704100219
- Jeong, I. S., Kang, H. W., & Kim, W. O. (2005). Current status of educational experience and preferred educational and certification program of clinical research nurses: A questionnaire survey. Kor J Clin Pharmacol Ther, 13(2), 195-207.
- Kang, H. S., Kim, W. O., Jeong, I. S., & Baik, J. M. (2004). The working conditions and clinical trial practice of research nurses. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 9(2), 41-55.
- Korea National Enterprise For Clinical Trials (KONECT). Domestic and International Clinical Trials. http://www.konect.or.kr/html/02_clinic/clinic_03.jsp?header=02&sub=03 [Online] (last visited on October 30, 2013)
- Kim, T. E., & Kim, K. H. (2009). Job status and job satisfaction among clinical research coordinator. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin, 15(3), 336-345.
- Kim, H. S. (2012). Outcomes-based curriculum development and student evaluation in nursing education. J Korean Acad Nurs, 42(7), 917-927. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.7.917
- Kim, K. H., Kim, K. S., Choe, B., & Kim, Y. I. (2011). The study of education and qualification for the maintenance of clinical research associate (CRA) professionalism. J Korean Soc Clin Pharmacol Ther, 19(2), 130-143.
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education. (2012). The standards of accreditation for nursing education. Seoul: Author.
- Krueger, R. A., & Casey, M. A. (2000). Focus Group (3rd ed). California: Sage publications.
- Lee, J. K. (2002). Reflection on a methodology of developing competency-based curriculum: based on a case of curriculum development for improving marketing competency. Journal of Educational Technology, 18(4), 25-56. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.18.4.25
- Seong, S. J., Lim, M. S., Oak, S. N., Lee, J. M., Park, S. M., Park, J., et al. (2012). Shin S-G, Park MS, Yoon Y-R. Results of 2012 KoNECT certification program of the human resource project. J Korean Soc Clin Pharmacol Ther, 20(2), 182-194. https://doi.org/10.12793/jkscpt.2012.20.2.182
- Song, K. O. (2007). Education innovation characteristic of competency based and exploration of applicability. Journal of Korean Education, 34(3), 155-182.
- Sung, Y. H., & Jeong, J. H. (2006). Defining the Core Competencies of the Nurses in A Tertiary Hospital and Comparing Different Units based on Their Respective Characteristics. J Korean Aca Nurs Admin, 12(1), 76-93.
- Yoo, J. S., Ahn, J. A., Yeo, K. S., & Chu, S. H. (2008). The study to reorganize the course of basic nursing science in a college of nursing. J Korean Biol Nurs Sci, 10(2), 162-169.
- Yoon, Y. M., & Suk, M. H. (2012). Effect of a Mentoring Program to Improve Adaptation to Department and Career Identity in Nursing College Students. The Korean Society of Management Consulting, 12(1), 185-203.