- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of an Extreme Heat Adaptation Program in Hypertensive Patients
고혈압환자의 폭염 적응력 증진을 위한 프로그램 효과
Jeong, Seong Hee;Kim, Nam Soon;Chae, Sumi;Lee, Eun Ju
- Received : 2014.04.18
- Accepted : 2014.07.01
- Published : 2014.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify the effects of an extreme heat Adaptation Program on the blood pressure, stress response, self-efficacy, and knowledge of management of hypertension and extreme heat of patients who suffered from hypertension. Methods: A quasi-experimental study with a non-equivalent control group pretest-posttest design was used. The data collection period was between July 2 and August 20, 2012. Thirty-seven patients participated in the study (18 in the experimental group and 19 in the control group). Data were analyzed using
Climate change;Extreme heat;Hypertension;Self-efficacy;Knowledge
- Gi, M., & Park, Y. (2012). The effects of hypertension self-help program on hypertension-related knowledge, self-efficacy, self-management compliance and physiological parameters in workers. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 21(1), 1-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.1.1 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.1.1
- Bandura, A.(1977). Social Learning Theory. New York: Prentice Hall.
- Climate Research Division (2005). The application of regional climate change scenario for the national climate change report(1). National Institute of Meteorological Research. Jeju.
- Eum, S. O., & Lee, I. (2013). The health care status and healthy life practices of hypertensive patients. Perspectives in Nursing Science, 10(1), 32-40.
- Glazer, J. L. (2005). Management of heatstroke and heat exhaustion. American Family Physician, 71(11), 2133-2140.
- Gong, M. H. (2004). Relation of cognitive style and emotional response on listening to music. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Haiat, S., O'Connor, M., & Kosatsky, T. (2010). Health effects of hot weather: from awareness of risk factors to effective health protection. Lancet, 375(9717), 856-863. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61711-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61711-6
- Hyoung, H. K., & Jang, H. (2011). The comparison of health status and health behavior among hypertension group, DM group, and hypertension-DM group for the aged provided with customized home care service by visiting nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 22(1), 11-21. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.1.11
- Jang, D. M., Kang, S. H., Kim, D. H., & Suh, C. J. (2008). Related factors of awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in Korea. Health and Social Science, 24, 43-66.
- Kenny, G. P., Yardley, J., Brown, C., Sigal, R. J., & Jay, O. (2010). Heal stress in older individuals and patients with common chronic diseases. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 182(10), 1053-1060. DOI:10.1503/cmaj.081050 https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.081050
- Jang, M. Y. (2011). Effects of Tai chi exercise program applying laughter therapy on blood pressure, stress response and depression in elderly with hypertension. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Jang, Y. J. (2007). Effects of a comprehensive education program on the self-efficacy and health behavior performance in patients with hypertension. Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University, Suwon.
- Jeon, H. J. (2011). Effect of climate change on the health of vulnerable populations-Health impact assessment of weather variables-. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Kim, H. J. (2009). The effect of music therapy on the stabilization of blood pressure in the hypertensive patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Soonchunhyang University, Asan.
- Kim, M. S. (2010). Factors related to life satisfaction of elderly patients with hypertension-Centering on subjective health status and health promoting behaviors-. Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University of Busan, Busan.
- Kim, M. S., & Song, M. (2013). The effects of 6 months lifestyle coaching program for adults with hypertension. Perspectives in Nursing Science, 10(2), 111-119.
- Kim, S. Y. (2004). The impact of summer heatwave on mortality. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ajou University, Suwon.
- Koh, K. B., Park, J. K., & Kim, C. H. (2000). Development of the stress response inventory. Journal of The Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 39(4), 707-719.
- Nam, H. J. (2003). The relationship between perception of hypertension and low sodium diet practices. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Myongji University, Seoul.
- Lee, H. J., & Kang, H. J. (2002). The benefits of aerobics on self-efficacy, blood pressure, and cardiopulmonary function in an essential hypertension female. Korean Journal of Sport Science, 13(4), 9-22.
- Lee, J. K. (2013). Evaluation of a medication self-management education program for elders with hypertension living in the community. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 43(2), 267-275. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.267 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.267
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. (2010). Manual on health care for extreme heat. Sejong.
- Oakman, T., Byles-Drage, H., Pope, R., & Pritchard, J. (2010). Beat the Heat: don't forget your drink- a brief public education program. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 34(4), 346-350. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-6405.2010.00564.x
- Park, Y. I. (1994). Effects of self control program for self care promotion of patients with primary hypertension. Doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Rosenthal, J. P., & Jessup, C. M. (2009). Global climate change and health: developing a research agenda for the NIH. Transactions of the American Clinical Climatological Association, 120, 129-141.
- So, E., & Lee, I. (2010). Meta-analysis of hypertension-related nursing intervention programs, Journal of East-West Nursing Research, 16(1), 11-18.
- Suh, H. W. (2004). The effect of resistance strength training on the ambulatory blood pressure responses in hypertensive elderly. Unpublished master's thesis, Kookmin University, Seoul.
- Walker, R., Hassall, J., Chaplin, S., Congues, J., Bajayo, R., & Mason, W. (2011). Health promotion interventions to address climate change using a primary health care approach: literature review. Health Promotion Journal of Australia, 22, S6-S12.
- Yu, S., & Kim, K. (2003). The effects of abdominal relaxed breathing exercises using biofeedback on stress response and blood pressure in elderly people with hypertension. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 10(1), 14-22.
- Yu, S. J., Song, M. S., & Lee, Y. J. (2001). The effects of self-efficacy promotion and education program on self-efficacy, self-care behavior, and blood pressure for elderly hypertensives. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 13(1), 108-122.
Supported by : 한국보건사회연구원