- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Suggested Method for Predicting Permeability of Porous Sandstone Using Porosity and Drying Rate
공극률과 건조율을 이용한 다공질 사암의 투과도 추정방법 제안
- Ko, Eunji (Dongnam Regional Infrastructure Technology Management Center) ;
- Kim, Jinhoo (Dong-A University, Department of Energy and Mineral Resources Engineering)
- Received : 2014.04.07
- Accepted : 2014.08.11
- Published : 2014.08.31
As the permeability is an important parameter to characterize the ease with which a porous medium transmits fluids, it is usually obtained by fluid flow experiment using core samples. In order to measure the permeability, however, an experimental apparatus is required and it might take long measurement time, especially for tight samples. In this study, the relationship between permeability and porosity as well as drying rate has been investigated to predict the permeability without a series of measuring experiments. Porosity is measured by drying monitoring method, which measures weight variation continuously while drying surface-dried saturated sample, and drying rate is obtained from weight variation ratio with respect to the water saturation. The total of 6 Berea sandstone samples, which have a permeability range of 70 to 670 mD, were used in this work, and a new and empirical equation which could predict permeability of porous sandstone by using porosity and drying rate were obtained through regression analysis.
Supported by : 국토교통부
- Adler, P. M., Jacquin, C. G., and Rahon, D., 1991, Three-dimensional reconstructed porous media- Application to the study of transport mechanisms in sandstones, Abstracts for the Second European Core Analysis Symposium (EUROCAS II), Society of Core Analysts- A Chapter-at-Large of SPWLA, 393-405.
- Berea Sandstone Petroleum Cores, 2014, http://www.bereasandstonecores.com/cores.php (March 31, 2014 Accessed).
- Carman, P. C. 1956, Flow of gases through porous media, Butterworths Scientific Publications, London.
- Carrier III, W. D., 2003, Goodbye, Hazen; Hello, Kozeny-Carmen, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 129, 1054-1056. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2003)129:11(1054)
- Franzen, C. and Mirwald, P. W., 2004, Moisture content of natural stone: static and dynamic equilibrium with atmospheric humidity, Environmental Geology, 46, 391-401.
- Gao, Z. and Hu, Q., 2013, Estimating permeability using median pore-throat radius obtained from mercury intrusion porosimetry, Journal of Geophysics and Engineering, 10, 025014(7pp). https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-2132/10/2/025014
- Goertz, D. and Knight, R., 1998, Elastic wave velocities during evaporative drying, Geophysics, 63, 171-183. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.1444310
- Hazen, A. 1911, Discussion: dams on sand foundations, Trans. Am. Soc. Civ. Eng., 73, 199.
- Hu, D. K. and Keehm, Y. S., 2008, Concept of rock physics modeling and application to Donghae-1 gas field, 2008 Korean Geophysics and Geophysical Exploration Conference, Korean Society of Earth and Exploration Geophysicists, 173-178.
- Jacquin, C. G., 1964, CorrElations entre la permEabilitE et les caractEristiques gEomEtriques du gres de Fontainebleau, Revue de 1'Institut Francais du PEtrole, 19, 921-937.
- Jun, J. Y., Kam, F. J., Jeong, C. K., Kang, J. M., Jang, I. S., and Kim, J. Y., 2007, Proceedings of Fall Conference, The Korean Society of Energy Engineering, 314-319.
- Keehm, Y. S. and Mukerji, J., 2004, Permeability and relative permeability from digital rocks: Issues on grid resolution and representative elementary volume, SEG Int'l Exposition and 74th Ann. Mtg. Expanded Abstracts, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, 1654-1657.
- Kim, H. T., Huh, D. K., and Kim, S. J., 2002, Permeability measuring experiment for non-conventional reservoir, 2002 Joint Conference of the Geological Science & Technology of Korea, The Korean Society of Economic and Environmental Geology, 385-388.
- Ko, E. J., 2014, A study on the Correlation between Drying Exponent and Permeability of Rock and Cement Base Specimens, M.S. Dissertation, Dong-A University, 71p.
- Ko, E. J., Kim, J. H., and Kim, S. B., 2012, Calculation of drying exponent by using drying curve of rock specimen, Proceeding of the 99th Fall Conference, Korean Society of Mineral and Energy Resources Engineers, 200-202.
- Kozeny, J. 1927. Ueber kapillare Leitung des Wassers im Boden, Wien, Akad. Wiss., 136(2a), 271.
- KSRM (Korea Society for Rock Mechanics), 2006, Standard test method for porosity and density of rock, Tunnel & underground Space, 16, 95-98.
- Lee, M. H. and Keehm, Y. S., 2009, Smoothing effect in X-ray microtomogram and its influence on the physical property estimating of rocks, Jigu-Mulli-wa-Mulli-Tamsa, 12, 347-354.
- Lee, S. K. and Lee, T. J., 2010, A new suggested method for determining solid weight of rock samples by weight monitoring during drying process, Journal of the Korean Society for Geosystem Engineering, 47, 183-190.
- Mujumdar A. and Devahastin, S., Fundamental Principles of Drying, http://staff.sut.ac.ir/haghighi/download/documents/Drying.pdf, (Sept. 20, 2012 Accessed).
- Okabe, H. and Blunt, M. J., 2004, Prediction of permeability for porous media reconstructed using multiple-point statistics, Physical Review E, 70, 066135-1-10. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.70.066135
- Oren, P.-E. and Bakke, S., 2003, Reconstruction of Brea sandstone and pore-scale modelling of wettability effects, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 39, 179-199.
- Rezaee, M. R., Jafari, A., and Kazemzadeh, E., 2006, Relationships between permeability, porosity and pore throat size in carbonate rocks using regression analysis and neural networks, J. Geophys. Eng., 3, 370-376. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-2132/3/4/008
- Ruth, D., Lindsay, C., and Allen, M., 2013, Combining electrical measurement and mercury porosimetry to predict permeability, Petrophysics, 54, 531-537.
- Siegesmund, S. and Snethlage, R., 2011, Stone in Arhitecture: properties, durability, 4th Ed., Springer, Berlin.
- Tiab, D. and Donaldson, E. C., 2012, Petrophysics: Theory and Practice of Measuring Reservoir Rock and Fluid Transport Properties, 3rd Ed., Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Yang, H. Y., Kim, H. N., Kim, K. M., Kim, K. Y., and Min, K. B., 2013, A study of locally changing pore characteristics and hydraulic anisotrophy due to bedding of porous sandstone, Tunnel & Underground Space, 23, 228-240. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2013.23.3.228
- Zinszner, B. and Pellerin, F.M., 2007, A Geoscientist's Guide to Petrophysics, IFP Publications.