- Volume 47 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Selection Technique of Drilling, Completion, and Stimulation Considering Reservoir Characteristics of Coalbed Methane Reservoir, Indonesia
인도네시아 석탄층 메탄가스(CBM) 저류층 특성을 고려한 시추·완결·자극 기법 선정 연구
- Choi, Jun Hyung (Department of Energy & Mineral Resources Engineering, College of Engineering, Dong-A University) ;
- Han, Jeong-Min (KOGAS) ;
- Lee, Dae Sung (Department of Energy & Mineral Resources Engineering, College of Engineering, Dong-A University)
- Received : 2014.03.25
- Accepted : 2014.08.19
- Published : 2014.08.28
We investigated reservoir properties of coalbed methane and typical development of drilling, completion, and stimulation methods. We optimized selection technique for development methods by consifering characteristics of coalbed methane resercoir in the San Juan, Black Warrior and Powder River basins of United States. Finally, well-optimized development methods for coalbed methane in the Barito Basin, Indonesia are suggested. This study may be useful to select economical and efficient drilling, completion, and stimulation methods in coalbed methane development especially in Indonesia.
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원
- Adams, M.A., Hewitt, J.L. and Malone, R.D. (1982) Coalbed methane Potential of the Appalachian basins. Paper SPE/DOE 10802 presented at the SPE/DOE Symposium of Unconventional Gas Recovery, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 16-18 May.
- Ayers, W. (2002) Coalbed gas system, resources, and production and a review of contrasting cases from the San Juan and Powder River Baisins. AAPG Bulletin, 2002, 86, n.11, p.1854-1890.
- Baek, M.S. (2011) Unconventional Gas Resoureces & KOGAS' Projects. The Korean Society of Mineral and Energy Resources Engineers, v.48, n.4(2011), p.524-538.
- Burnstad, R.G., Martin, A.N., Stemberger, D.J. and Purwanto B. (2004) A Case Study of a Mature Field Redevelopment Using Propped Hydraulic Fracturing. Society of Petroleum Engineers, Perth, Australia, October 18-20, SPE 88604.
- Caballero, J. (2013) Drilling and Completion Technique Selection Methodology for Coalbed Methane Wells. IPTC, Beijing, China, March 26-28, IPTC17153.
- Haines, L. (2005) Western Coalbed Methane, Oil and Gas Invertor/Hart Energy Publishing, Houston, Texas, p.4-24.
- Choi, J.G. (2011) Offshore Drilling Engineering, 1st Ed., CIR, Seoul, Korea, p.302-308.
- Frank, J., Mark, C. and Mark, G. (2008) Hydrocarbon exploration and production, Developments in petroleum Science, 2nd Ed., ELSEVIER, Jordan Hill, Oxford OX@ 8DP, UK, p.67-69.
- Go, H.J., Go, G.S., Go, D.C., Gee, W.S., Kim, J.H., Kim, B.C., Pack, S.H., Pack, I.H., Yum, B.W., Lee, S.G., Lee, S.L., Choi, B.Y. and Hwang, S.H. (2005) Exploration of Coalbed Methane Report, The Korea institute of geoscience and mineral resources, p.36-39.
- Holditch, S.A., Ely, J.W., Carter, R.H. and Semmelbeck, M.E. (1990) Coal Seam Stimulation Manual, Gas Research Institute, Chicago, U.S.
- Hollub, A. and Schafer, P. (1992) A Guide to Coalbed Methane Operations, Gas Research Insititute, Chicago, Illinois, p.1-41.
- Jenkins, C.D. and Boyer, C.M. (2008) Coalbed- and Shale-Gas Reservoirs. Journal of Petroleum Technology, v.60, n.2, p.92. https://doi.org/10.2118/103514-JPT
- Jeu, S.J., Logan, T.L. and McBane, R.A. (1988) Exploitation of Deeply Buried Coalbed Methane Using Different Hydraulic Fracturing Techniques in the Piceance Basin, Colorado and San Juan Basin New Mexico. SPE, Houston, Texas, October 2-5, 18253-MS.
- Kusuma, I. and Darin, T. (1989) The Hydrocarbon Potential of The Lower Tanjung Formation, Barito basin, S. E. Kalimantan. Proc. of Indonesion Prtroleum Association, 18th, Annual Convention, October 1989.
- Lee, J.H., Jang, H.C., Sihn, C.H., Lee, Y.S., Kwon, S.I. and Lee, W.S. (2012) A Study on the Development Status and Key Technologies of Coalbed Methane. Journal of The Korean Society of Mineral and Energy Resources Engineers, v.49, n.4(2012), p.545-556.
- Moore. T.A. (2012) Coalbed methane: A review. International Journal of Coal Geology, 101, p.36-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coal.2012.05.011
- Lightfoot, J. (2007) Drilling Sideways in Coal Seams: Development of New "Fit for Purpose" Technology to Optimize CBM Horizontal Drilling. International Coalbed Methane Symposium, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA, 23-24 May. p.112-123.
- Logan, T.L., Schwoebel. J. and Horner, D.M. (1987) Application of Horizontal Drainhole Drilling Technology for Coalbed Methane Recovery. SPE/DOE, Denver, Colorado, 18-19 May, SPE/DOE 16409.
- MnCulloch, C.M., Lambert, S.W. and White, J.R. (1976) Determining Cleat Orientation of Deeper Coalbeds From Overlying Coals, U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Mines Report of Ivestigations, p.8.
- Mutalik, P.N., Magness, W.D. and William. (2006) Production Data Analysis of Horizontal CBM Wells in Arkoma Basin. SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, San Antonio, Texas, USA, 24-27 September.
- Olsen, T.N Brenize, G. and Frenzel, T. (2003) Improvement Processes for Coalbed Natural Gas Completion and Stimulation. Societ of Petroleum Engineers, Denver, Colorado, 5-8 October, SPE 84122.
- Osisanya, S.O. and Schaffitzel, R.F. (1996) A Review of Horizontal Drillimg Completion Techniques for Recovery of Coalbed Methane. SPE, Calgary, Canada, November, 18-20, SPE 37131.
- Palmer, I.D., Lambert S.W. and Spitler, J.L. (1993) Coalbed Methane Well Completions and Stimulations: Chapter 14, AAPG, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Volume SG. 38, p.303-339.
- Palmer, I.D., Khodaverdian, M., McLennan, J. and Prasad K. (1995) Completions and Stimulations for Coalbed Methane Wells. SPE, Beijing, China, 14-17 November. SPE 30012.
- Ramaswamy, S. (2007) SELECTION OF BEST DRILLING, COMPLETION AND STIMULATION METHODS FOR COALBED METHANE RESERVOIRS, Texas A&M University, USA.
- Sosrowidjojo, I.B. and A. Saghafi. (2009) Development of the first coal seam gas exploration program in Indonesia: Reservoir properies of the Muaraaenim Formation, south Sumatra. R&D Centre for Oil and Gas Technology, LEMIGAS, Jakarta, Indonesia, July 1, p.145-159.
- Ryan, B. and Mannhardt. (2007) K. Diffusivity and Diffusion Coefficients of Anthracite. Paper 0703 presented at Intemational Coalbed Methane Symposium, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 22-25 May.
- Satyana, A.H., Nugroho, D. and Surantoko, I. (1999) Tectonic controls on the hydrocarbon habitats of the Barito, Kutei, and Tarakan Basin, Eastern kalimantan, Indonesia: major dissimilarities in adjoining basin. J. of Asian Earth Sciences, 17, 99-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0743-9547(98)00059-2
- Stevens, S.H. and Haduyanto (2004) Indonesia: Coalbed Methane Indicators and Basin Evaluation, Advanced Resources International. SPE, Perth, Australia, October 18-20, SPE 88630.
- U.S. EIA (2004) US Coalbed Metane past, present, and future. U.S. EIA, November, 2007.
- U.S. EIA. Annual Energy Outlook 2012 with Progections to 2035, U.S. Energy Information Administration, Washington, U.S.
- U.S. EIA. 2013.03.12., http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/.
- U.S. EPA (2004) Evaluation of Impacts to Underground Sources of Drinking Water by Hydraulic Fracturing of Coalbed Methane Reservoirs. U.S. EPA, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20460, EPA-816-R-04-003.
- U.S. EPA (2004) Coalbed Methane Extraction: Detailed Study Report, Washington. U.S. EPA, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20460, EPA-820-R-10-022.
- U.S. NETL (2003) Multi-Seam Well Completion Technology: Implications for Powder River Basin Coalbed Methane Production. U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Fossil Energy and National Energy Techbology Laboratory, p.36-31.
- U.S NETL (2004) Coal Bed Methane Primer: New Source of Natural Gas-Environmental Implications. Rocky Mountain West.
- Williams, P. (2001) Western Coalbed Methane: Oil and Gas Investor, 21, p.34-43.
- Yuan, Z., Kleverlaan, M. and Dong, J. (2013) Advances in Technology of CBM Horizontal Well Completion in Deep Area. IPTC, Beijing, China, March 26-28, IPTC 17121.