- Volume 47 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study on Stratigraphy, Structural Geology and Hydrocarbon Potentials of the Cretaceous Strata, Northeastern Iraq
이라크 북동부 지역 백악기 퇴적층의 층서, 구조지질 및 탄화수소 부존 유망성 연구
- Lee, Taecheol (Exploration Division, Korea National Oil Corporation) ;
- Han, Seungwoo (Department of Geology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Ryu, In-Chang (Department of Geology, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2014.08.05
- Accepted : 2014.08.31
- Published : 2014.08.28
Seismic reflection data are integrated with fieldwork data in order to understand startigraphy, structural geology and hydrocarbon potentials of Cretaceous strata in the Mesopotamian basin, Northeastern Iraq. Cretaceous strata in the basin divided into the Qamchuqa, Kometan, Bekhme and Shiranish formations, which are composed of carbonates deposited in shallow marine environment. The geological structures in these formations are mainly recognized as thrusts, detachment folds, fault propagation folds and fault bend folds. As well, NW-SE trending fractures are regularly developed, and are horizontal or perpendicular to the structures. The distribution and frequency of fractures are related to the development of the thrusts. In terms of hydrocarbon potentials, Cretaceous strata in the basin have limited capacities for source rocks and seal rocks due to the lack of organic carbon content and the well-developed fractures, respectively. Although these carbonates have limited primary porosity, however, development of the secondary porosity derived from the fractures contributes to enhance the reservoir quality. Most important factor for the reservoir quality of Cretaceous strata seems to be the frequency and connectivity of fractures relative to locations of folds and faults. The results delineated in this study will use as reference for recognizing stratigraphy and structures of Cretaceous strata and will provide useful information on hydrocarbon potentials of Cretaceous strata in the Mesopotamian basin, NE Iraq.
stratigraphy;structural geology;hydrocarbon potentials;Cretaceous strata;NE Iraq
- Agrawi, A.A.M. (1998) Paleozoic stratigraphy and petroleum systems of the Western and Southwestern Deserts of Iraq: GeoArabia, v.3, n.2, p.229-247.
- Al-Sakini, J.A. (1992) Summary of petroleum geology of Iraq and the Middle East: Kirkuk, Iraq, Northern Oil Company Press, p.179.
- Dogan Seber, David Steer, Eric Sandvol, Christine Sandvol, Carrie Brindisi and Muawia Barazangi (2000) Design and Development of Information Systems for the Geosciences: An Application to the Middle East. GeoArabia, v.5, n.2, p.298-303.
- Bakhtiar Mohamad Ameen (2008) Sedimentology and lithostratigraphy of Qamchuqa formation from Kurdistan region, NE-Iraq.
- Buday, T. (1980) The regional geology of Iraq, stratigraphy and paleogeography. State Organization for Minerals, Baghdad, Iraq.
- Daniel Rief, Bernhard Grasemann, and Robert H. Faber (2011) Quantitative structural analysis using remote sensing data: Kurdistan, Northeast Iraq: AAPG Bulletin, v.95, n.6, p.941-956. https://doi.org/10.1306/11151010112
- Dunham, R.J. (1962) Classification of carbonate rocks according to deposit-ional texture: in Ham, W. E. (ed.), Classification of rocks: a symposium, AAPG, n.1, p.108-121.
- Dunnington, H.V. (1958) Generation, migration and Dissipation of Oil in Northern Iraq. Arabian Gulf, Geology and Productivity. AAPG, Foreign Reprint Series No. 2.
- Faus Mohammad Qadir (2008) Formation evaluation of upper Qamchqua reservoir, Khabbaz oil field, Kirkuk area, Northeastern Iraq.
- Hunt, D. and Tucker, M.E. (1992) Stranded parasequences and the for regressive wedge systems tract: deposition during base-level fall. Sedimentary Geology, 81, p.1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0037-0738(92)90052-S
- James E. Fox and Thomas S. Ahlbrandt (2002) Petroleum Geology and Total Petroleum Systems of the Widyan Basin and Interior Platform of Saudi Arabia and Iraq: USGS Bulletin 2202-E, p.1-12.
- Kazmin, V.G. (2002) The late Paleozoic to Cainozoic intraplate deformation in North Arabia: a response to plate boundary-forces: EGU Stephan Mueller Special Publication Series, 2, p.123-138.
- Khaled Hessami, Hemin A. Koyi, Christopher J. Talbot, Hadi Tabasi and Esmael Shabanian (2001) Progressive Unconformities within an evolving forelandthrust belt, Zagros Mountains; Journal of the Geological Society, London, v.158, p.969-981. https://doi.org/10.1144/0016-764901-007
- Richard M. Pollastro (2003) Total Petroleum Systems of the Paleozoic and Jurassic, Greater Uplift and Adjoining Provinces of Central Saudi Arabia and Northern Arabian-Persian Gulf: USGS Bulletin 2202-H, p.1-24.
- Nadine McQuarrie (2004) Crustal scale geometry of the Zagros fold-thrust belt, Iran: Journal of Structural Geology, 26, p.519-535. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsg.2003.08.009
- Octavian Catuneanu (2002) Sequence stratigraphy of clastic systems: concepts, merits, and pitfalls: Journal of African Earth Sciences, 35 1.43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-5362(02)00004-0
- Richard M. Pollastro, Amy S. Karshbaum and Roland J. Viger (1998) Maps showing geology, oil and gas fields and geologic provinces of the arabian peninsula: USGS Open-File Report, p.97-470.
- Saad Z. Jassim and Jeremy C. Goff (2006) GEOLOGY OF IRAQ: p.22-25, p.27-128.
- See K. R. McClay (2005) Glossary of thrust tectonics terms, Lab 7: Fold and Trust belts Solutions.
- Sadooni, F. N. and Alsharhan, A. S. (2003) Stratigraphy and microfacies and petroleum potential of the Maudod Formation (Albian-Cenomania) in the Arabian Gulf basin. AAPG Bulletin, v.87, n.10, p.1653-1680. https://doi.org/10.1306/04220301111
- Van Bellen, R. C. (1956) The stratigraphy at the "main limestone" of the Kirkuk, Bai Hassan and Qurah Chang Dagh structures in north Iraq: AAPG Bulletin, v.42, p.233-263.
- Van Bellen, R.C., Dunnington H.V., Wetzel R. and Morton D.M. (1959) Lexique stratigraphique international: Paris, Centre National Recherche Scientifique, Fasc. 10a, Iraq, p.1-333.
- Vail, P.R., Mitchum, R.M., Todd, R.G., Widmier, J.M. and Hatleid, W.G. (1977) Seismic stratigraphy and global changes in sea level. In: seismic Stratigraphy. Application to Hydrocarbon Exploration (ed. by C.E. Payton). Memoir of the American Association of the Petroleum Geologists, Tulsa, v.26, p.49-62.
- Van Wagoner, J.C., Posamentier, H.W., Mitchum, R.M., et al. (1988) An overview of the fundamentals of sequence stratigraphy and key definitions, in Wilgus, C.K., et al., eds., Sea level changes: an integrated approach: SEPM Special Publication, 42, p.39-45.
- Ziegler, M. (2001) Late Permian to Holocene paleofacies evolution of the Arabian plate and its hydrocarbon occurrences. GeoArabia, 3, p.455-504.