- Volume 47 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Geology, Mineralization, and Age of the Pocheon Fe(-Cu) Skarn Deposit, Korea
한국 포천 철(-동) 스카른 광상의 지질, 광화작용 및 생성연대
- Kim, Chang Seong (Dept. of Earth & Environmental Sciences, Korea University) ;
- Go, Ji Su (Dept. of Earth & Environmental Sciences, Korea University) ;
- Choi, Seon-Gyu (Dept. of Earth & Environmental Sciences, Korea University) ;
- Kim, Sang-Tae (School of Geography and Earth Sciences, McMaster University)
- Received : 2014.04.15
- Accepted : 2014.05.08
- Published : 2014.08.28
The Pocheon iron (-copper) deposit, located at the northwestern part of the Precambrian Gyeonggi massif in South Korea, genetically remains controversial. Previous researchers advocated a metamorphosed (-exhalative) sedimentary origin for iron enrichment. In this study, we present strong evidences for skarnification and Fe mineralization, spatially associated with the Myeongseongsan granite. The Pocheon deposit is composed of diverse carbonate rocks such as dolostone and limestone which are partially overprinted by various hydrothermal skarns such as sodic-calcic, calcic and magnesian skarn. Iron (-copper) mineralization occurs mainly in the sodic-calcic skarn zone, locally superimposed by copper mineralization during retrograde stage of skarn. Age data determined on phlogopites from retrograde skarn stage by Ar-Ar and K-Ar methods range from
Pocheon;mineralization age;iron mineralization;sodic-calcic skarn;stable isotope
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Ishihara, S., Jin, M.S. and Kajiwara, Y. (2002b) Possible carbonate origin of ore sulfur from Geumseong Mo deposit, South Korea. Resource Geology, v.52, p.279-282. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-3928.2002.tb00138.x
- Benavides, J., Kyser, T.K., Clark, A.H., Oates, C. J., Zamora, R., Tarnovschi, R. and Castillo, B. (2007) The Mantoverde iron oxide-copper-gold district, III Region, Chile: The role of regionally derived, nonmagmatic fluids in chalcopyrite mineralization. Economic Geology, v.102, p.415-440. https://doi.org/10.2113/gsecongeo.102.3.415
- Bowman, J.R. (1998) Stable-isotope systematics of skarns. In Lentz, D.R. (ed.) Mineralized Intrusion-Related Skarn Systems. Mineral. Assoc. Can., Short Course, v.26, pp.99-145.
- Go, J.S., Choi, S.-G., Seo, J., Park, J.-W. and Kim, S.-T. (2013) Skarn alteration in iron oxide-copper-gold systems the Pocheon magnetite deposit, Korea. In Jonsson, E. et al., (ed), Mineral Deposit Research for a High-Tech World. 12th Biennial SGA Meeting Proceedings, v.3, p.1363-1365.
- Hall, D.L., Cohen, L.H. and Schiffman, P. (1988) Hydrothermal alteration associated with the Iron Hat iron skarn deposit, eastern Mojave Desert, San Bernardino County, California. Economic Geology, v.83, p.568-587. https://doi.org/10.2113/gsecongeo.83.3.568
- Hwang, J.H. and Kihm, Y.H. (2007) Geological Report of the Jipori Sheet (1/50,000). KIGAM, 54p.
- Ishihara, S., Kajiwara, Y. and Jin, M.S. (2002a) Sulfur content and isotopic ratio of Cambro-Ordovician carbonate rocks from South Korea: A possible source for Mesozoic magmatic-hydrothermal ore sulfur. Resource Geology, v.52, p.41-48. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-3928.2002.tb00115.x
- Kanda, Y. (1969) Geology and ore deposit of Pocheon iron mine, Korea. Jour. Korean Inst. Mining Geol., v.2, p.53-67.
- Kim, H.S. (1977) Mineralogy and petrology of the Precambrian iron deposits, Korea. J. Geol. Soc. Korea, v.13, p.191-211.
- Lee, B.-J., Kim, Y.B. and Kee, W.-S. (2006) Geological Report of the Gisan Sheet (1/50,000). KIGAM, 39p.
- Lee, S.H. (1979) Ore petrological studies on the genesis of the metamorphic iron deposits in southern Korea. Jour. Geol. Soc. Korea, v.15, p.210-229.
- Lee, S.R., Cho, M., Cheong, C.S., Kim, H. and Ingate, M.T.D. (2003) Age, geochemistry, and tectonic significance of Neoproterozoic alkaline granitoids in the northwestern margin of the Gyeonggi massif, South Korea. Precambrian Research, v.122, p.297-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-9268(02)00216-4
- Meinert, L.D. (1993) Skarn and skarn deposits. In Sheahan, P. and Cherry, M.E. (eds.) Ore Deposit Model Volume II. Geoscience Canada, Reprint Series 6. p.117-134.
- McDonough, W.F. and Sun, S.-S. (1995) The composition of the earth. Chemical Geology, v.120, p.223-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2541(94)00140-4
- Wang, S. and Williams, P. Jour. (2001) Geochemistry and origin of Proterozoic skarns at the mount Elliott Cu-Au (-Co-Ni) deposit, Cloncurry district, NW Queensland, Australia. Mineralium Deposita, v.36, p.109-124. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001260050292
- Monteiro, L.V.S., Xavier, R.P., Carvalho, E.R., Hitzman, M.W., Johnson, C.A., de Souza Filho, C.R. and Torresi, L. (2008) Spatial and temporal zoning of hydrothermal alteration and mineralization in the Sossego iron oxide-copper-gold deposit, Carajas mineral province, Brazil: paragenesis and stable isotope constraints. Mineralium Deposita, v.43, p.129-159. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00126-006-0121-3
- Pearce, J. A., Harris, N.B.W. and Tindle A.G. (1984) Trace element discrimination diagrams for the tectonic interpretation of granitic rocks. Jour. Petrology, v.25, p.956-983 https://doi.org/10.1093/petrology/25.4.956
- So, C.S. (1977) Origin of amphibolite and associated magnetite ore from the Pocheon iron mine, Korea. In Klemm, D.D. and Schneider, H.-J. (ed.) Time- and Strata-bound Ore Deposits. p.406-418.
- Yun, H.S., Hong. S.S. and Lee. Y.S. (2002) Petrology and petrochemistry of the Jurassic Daebo granites in the Pocheon-Gisanri area. Jour. Petrol. Soc. Korea, v.11, p.1-16.
- Zheng, Y.F. and Hoefs, J. (1993) Carbon and oxygen isotopic covariations in hydrothermal calcites. Mineralium Deposita, v.28, p.79-89.
- Occurence of Zn-Pb Deposits in Danjang-Myeon, Milyang Area vol.28, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2015.28.3.279