- Volume 9 Issue 5
This paper presents the design and implementation of a wind-solar hybrid power system for LED street lighting and an isolated power system. The proposed system consists of photovoltaic modules, a wind generator, a storage system (battery), LED lighting, and the controller, which can manage the power and system operation. This controller has the functions of maximum power point tracking (MPPT) for the wind and solar power, effective charging/discharging for the storage system, LED dimming control for saving energy, and remote data logging for monitoring the performance and maintenance. The proposed system was analyzed in regard to the operation status of the hybrid input power and the battery voltage using a PSIM simulation. In addition, the characteristics of the proposed system's output were analyzed through experimental verification. A prototype was also developed which uses 300[W] of wind power, 200[W] of solar power, 60[W] LED lighting, and a 24[V]/80[Ah] battery. The control system principles and design scheme of the hardware and software are presented.
Wind-Solar hybrid power system (WS-HPS);LED street lighting;Battery charge-discharge;Dimming control
- Remus T., Marco L., Pedro R., "Grid Converters for Photovoltaic and Wind Power Systems", wiley, 2011.
- M. Engin, M. Colak, "Analysing solar-wind hybrid power generating system", Pamukkale University Faculty of Engineering, Journal of Engineering Sciences, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 225-230, 2005.
- Jicheng X., Huaquang Z., Zhixin W., "Research on Battery Charging Control Strategy in Stand-alone Wind / Photovoltaic Hybrid Street Lamp Lighting System", Water Resources and Power, pp. 182-185, 2008.
- Caponetto R., Dongola G., Fortuna L., Riscica N., Zufacchi D., "Power consumption reduction in a remote controlled street lighting system" Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion, SPEEDAM 2008, International Symposium on, pp. 428-433, 11-13 June 2008.
- Raymond A., Mack, Jr., "Demystifying Switching Power Supplies", ELSEVIER, 2004.
- V. Salas, E. Olias, A. Barrado and A. Lazaro "Review of the maximum power point tracking algorithms for stand-alone photovoltaic systems" Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells vol. 90, Issue 11, 6 July 2006, pp 1555-1578. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2005.10.023
- Ali M., Qrabi M., Abdelkarim E., Qhaouq J.A.A, Aroudi A. E., "Design and development of energyfree solar street LED light system", 2011 IEEE PES Conference, pp. 1-7, 2011.
- Y. Jung, J. So, G. Yu, and Ja. Choi. "Improved perturbation and observation method (IP&O) of MPPT control for photovoltaic power systems," Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 2005. Conference Record of the Thirty-first IEEE , pp. 1788-1791, 3-7 Jan. 2005.
- Qiaoyun Z., Zhongdong Y., "Battery Energy Storage Research of Photovoltaic Power Generation System in Micro-gird", Critical Infrastructure(CRIS), 2010 5th International Conference, pp. 1-4, Sep. 2010.
- Zeng Wen-zian, Ma Jie, Zhai Ying, "Rapid Charge System for Lead-Acid Battery of Solar Energy Street Light based on Single-Chip Microcomputer", ICCSIT 2008, International Conference, pp. 337-341, 2008.