- Volume 9 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Design and Control of an Optimized Battery Charger for an xEV Based on Photovoltaic Power Systems
- Kim, Dong-Hee ;
- Cheo, Gyu-Yeong ;
- Lee, Byoung-Kuk
- Received : 2014.01.04
- Accepted : 2014.04.28
- Published : 2014.09.01
The continuous growth of electric vehicles has caused electric power shortages in conventional utilities owing to the charging of electric-vehicle batteries. In order to increase the capacity of these utilities, photovoltaic systems may be an appropriate solution because of their benefits. However, a large amount of loss is generated in a conventional charging structure using photovoltaic sources owing to the many power conversion processes. This paper describes a simple integrated battery charger that utilizes a PV generation system. Moreover, the system control algorithm is deduced by analyzing the operation modes in order to control the proposed integrated system. The proposed system and algorithm are verified by a 3.3-kW prototype, resulting in an increase in the efficiency of approximately 7% to 15% compared with the conventional system. And, to examine the feasibility of the proposed system, the simulation for multi-charger with various conditions are progressed.
Battery charger;Control algorithm;Electric vehicles;Photovoltaic (PV) generation system;System integration
- M. Yilmaz, P. T. Krein, "Review of battery charger topologies, charging power levels, and infrastructure for plug-in electric and hybrid vehicles," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 2151-2169, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2212917
- A. Y. Saber, G. K. Venayagamoorthy, "Plug-in vehicles and renewable energy sources for cost and emission reductions," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 1229-1238, Apr. 2011.
- O. Hegazy, R. Barrero, J. Van Mierlo, P. Lataire, N. Omar, T. Coosemans, "An advanced power electronics interface for electric vehicles applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 5508-5521, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2256469
- P. Denholm, W. Short, "An evaluation of utility system impacts and benefits of optimally dispatched plug-in hybrid electric vehicles," Tech. Rep. NREL/ TP-620-40293, Oct. 2006.
- S. W. Hadley, A. A. Tsvetkova, "Potential impacts of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles on regional power generation," Electr. J., vol. 22, no.10, pp. 56-68, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tej.2009.10.011
- S. Shao, M. Pipattanasomporn, S. Rahman, "Grid integration of electric vehicles and demand response with customer choice," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 543-550, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2011.2164949
- Smart Grid News (2012, Jun. 16) Will solar power be cheapest? IEEE experts say maybe so [Online]. Available: http://www.smartgridnews.com/artman/pub lish/Technologies_DG_Renewables/Will-solar-powerbe- cheapest-IEEE-experts-say-it-could-3761.html.
- C. A. Hill, M. C. Such, D. Chen, J. Gonzalez, W. M. Grady, "Battery energy storage for enabling integration of distributed solar power generation," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 850-857, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2012.2190113
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory Review (2008) Plugin hybrid electric vehicles may have an unexpected value [Online]. Available: http://web.ornl.gov/info/ ornlreview/v41_1_08/article11.shtml.
- O. Hegazy, J. Van Mierlo, P. Lataire, "Analysis, modeling, and implementation of a multidevice interleaved DC/DC converter for fuel cell hybrid electric vehicles," IEEE Trans Power Electron., vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 4445-4458, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2183148
- M. Ehsani, K. M. Rahman, M. D. Bellar, A. J. Severinsky, "Evaluation of soft switching for EV and HEV motor drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 82-90, Feb. 2001.
- D.H. Kim, G.Y. Choe, B.K. Lee, "DCM analysis and inductance design method of interleaved boost converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 4700-4711, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2236579
- W. Qian, H. Cha, F. Z. Peng, L. M. Tolbert, "55-kW variable 3X DC-DC converter for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 1668-1678, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2165559
- Electric Vehicle and Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Conductive Charger Coupler, SAE Recommended Practice J1772, Jan. 2010.
- T. Ikeya, N. Sawada, J. Murakami, K. Kobayashi, M. Hattori, N. Murotani, S. Ujiie, K. Kajiyama, H. Nasu, H. Narisoko, Y. Tomaki, K. Adachi, Y. Mita, K. Ishihara, "Multi-step constant-current charging method for an electric vehicle nickel/metal hydride battery with high-energy efficiency and long cycle life," J. Power Sources, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 6-12,Mar. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(01)00907-7
- X. Zhou, M. Donati, L. Amoroso, F. C. Lee, "Improved light-load efficiency for synchronous rectifier voltage regulator module," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 826-834, Sep. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.867671
- J. S. Kim, G. Y. Choe, H. M. Jung, B. K. Lee, Y. J. Cho, K. B. Han, "Design and implementation of a high-efficiency on-board battery charger for electric vehicles with frequency control strategy," in Proc. IEEE Vehicle Power Propul. Conf., Sep. 1-3, 2010, pp. 1-6.
- A New Low-Cost Centralized MPPT Controller System for Multiply Distributed Photovoltaic Power Conditioning Modules vol.6, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2015.2439037
- Two novel techniques for increasing energy efficiency of photovoltaic-battery systems vol.105, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.07.036
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning