- Volume 9 Issue 5
Design, Simulation and experimental analysis of closed loop time domain based Discrete PWM buck-boost converter are described. To improve the transient response and dynamic stability of the proposed converter, Discrete PID controller is the most preferable one. Discrete controller does not require any precise analytical model of the system to be controlled. The control system of the converter is designed using digital PWM technique. The proposed controller improves the dynamic performance of the buck-boost converter by achieving a robust output voltage against load disturbances, input voltage variations and changes in circuit components. The converter is designed through simulation using MATLAB/Simulink and performance parameters are also measured. The discrete controller is implemented, and design goal is achieved and the same is verified against theoretical calculation using LabVIEW.
Buck-Boost converter;Discrete controller;Analog to Digital Converter (ADC);Digital Pulse Width Modulator (DPWM)
- Angel, V Peterchev and R Sanders, "Quantization resolution and limit cycling in digitally controlled PWM converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 18, pp. 301-308, Jun 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.807092
- K. K. Sajeesh and Agarwal, "Digital controller implementation for non-inverting buck-boost converter using run-time partial reconfiguration of FPGA," in Proc. IEEE-IICPE, 2012, pp. 1-6.
- P. Mattuveli, " Digital controls of DC-DC boost converters with inductor current estimation," in Proc. IEEE-APEC, 2004, pp. 74-80.
- Subhash Chander, "Auto-tuned, Discrete PID Controllers for DC-DC Converter for fast transient response," in Proc. IEEE-ICEMSC, 2011, pp. 1-4.
- Hao Peng, A Prodic, E Alarcon and D Maksimov, "Modeling of Quantization Effects in Digitally Controlled DC-DC converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 22, pp. 208-215, Jan 2007.
- M M Peretz and S Ben-Yaakov,"Time domain design of digital compensators for PWM DC-DC converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 27, pp. 887-893, Jan 2012.
- Shuibao GUO, Yanxia GAO, Yanping Xu, Xuefang LIN-SHI and Bruno ALLARD, "Digital PWM Controller for High-Frequency Low-Power DC-DC switching Mode Power Supply," in Proc. IEEEIPEMC, 2009, pp. 1340-1346.
- Sebastein Mariethoz et. al, "Comparison of Hybrid Control Techniques for Buck and Boost DC-DC Converters," IEEE Trans. Control systems Technology, vol. 18, pp. 1126-114, Sep 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2009.2035306
- Benjamin, J Patella and Aleksandar Prodic, "High- Frequency Digital PWM Controller IC for DC-DC Converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 18, pp. 438-446, Jan 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.807121
- H Matsuo, F Kurokawa, H Etou, Y Ishizuka and C Chen, "Design oriented analysis of the digitally controlled DC-DC converter," in Proc. IEEE-PSEC, 2000, pp. 401-407.
- L. Peng, X. Kang and J. Chen, "A novel PWM technique in digital control and its application to an improved DC/DC converter," in Proc. IEEE-PSEC, 2001, pp. 254-259.
- Chien-Ming Lee et. al, "LabVIEW Implementaton of an Auto-Tuning PID Regulator via Grey-predictor," in Proc. IEEE-CISC, 2006, pp. 1-5.
- "A General Approach to Control a Positive Buck Boost Converter to Achieve Robustness against Input Voltage Fluctuations and Load Changes," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 18, pp. 438-446, Jan 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.807121
- Bong-Gi Youet. al, "Optimization of Powder Core Inductors of Buck-Boost Converters for Hybrid Electric Vehicles," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 527-534, July 2011. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2011.6.4.527
- Anbukumar Kavitha et. al, "Resonant Parametric Perturbation Method to Control Chaos in Current Mode Controlled DC-DC Buck-Boost Converter," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 171-178, Mar 2010. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.1.171
- Jingquan Chen, "Analysis and Design of a Low- Stress Buck-Boost Converter in Universal-Input PFC Applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 320-329, Mar 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.869744