- Volume 9 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Power Loss Modeling of Individual IGBT and Advanced Voltage Balancing Scheme for MMC in VSC-HVDC System
- Received : 2014.02.18
- Accepted : 2014.04.01
- Published : 2014.09.01
This paper presents the new power dissipation model of individual switching device in a high-level modular multilevel converter (MMC), which can be mostly used in voltage sourced converter (VSC) based high-voltage direct current (HVDC) system and flexible AC transmission system (FACTS). Also, the voltage balancing method based on sorting algorithm is newly proposed to advance the MMC functionalities by effectively adjusting switching variations of the sub-module (SM). The proposed power dissipation model does not fully calculate the average power dissipation for numerous switching devices in an arm module. Instead, it estimates the power dissipation of every switching element based on the inherent operational principle of SM in MMC. In other words, the power dissipation is computed in every single switching event by using the polynomial curve fitting model with minimum computational efforts and high accuracy, which are required to manage the large number of SMs. After estimating the value of power dissipation, the thermal condition of every switching element is considered in the case of external disturbance. Then, the arm modeling for high-level MMC and its control scheme is implemented with the electromagnetic transient simulation program. Finally, the case study for applying to the MMC based HVDC system is carried out to select the appropriate insulated-gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) module in a steady-state, as well as to estimate the proper thermal condition of every switching element in a transient state.
Advanced voltage balancing method;IGBT module;MMC;Polynomial curve fitting;power loss modeling;HVDC system
- W. Li, L. Gregoire, and J. Belanger, "Control and performance of a modular multilevel converter system" in Proc. CIGRE Meeting, 2011, pp. 1-8.
- J. Dorn, H. Huang, and D. Retzmann, "Novel voltage-sourced converters for HVDC and FACTS applications" in Proc. CIGRE Meeting, 2007, pp. 314-321.
- J. Dorn, H. Huang, and D. Retzmann, "A new multilevel voltage-sourced converter topology for HVDC application," in Proc. CIGRE Meeting, 2008, Paris, pp. 1-8.
- M. Pereira, A. Zenkner and A. de Oliverira, "Full range active AC filter with mulitlevel IGBT converters for transmission and distribution systems," in Proc. IEEE / PES Transmiss. Distrib. Conf. Expo., 2008, pp. 1-6.
- G. T. Son, H. -J. Lee, T. S. Nam, Y. -H. Chung, U. - H. Lee, S.-T. Baek, K. Hur, and Jung-Wook Park, "Design and control of a modular multilevel HVDC converter with redundant power modules for noninterruptible energy transfer," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 1611-1619, July 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2012.2190530
- C. Wong, "EMTP modeling of IGBT dynamic performance for power dissipation estimation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 33, no. 1, Jan. 1997.
- A. D. Rajapskse, A. M. Gole, and R. P. Jayasinghe, "An improved representation of FACTS controller semiconductor losses in EMTP-type programs using accurate loss-power injection into network solution," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 381-389, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2008.2005876
- U. N. Gnararatha, A. M. Gole, A. D. Rajapakse, and S. K. Chaudhary, "Loss estimation of modular multilevel converters using electro-magnetic transients simulation," in Proc. Int. Conf. Power Syst. Transient (IPST), 2011.
- S. Allebrod, R. Hamerski, and R. Marquardt, "New transformerless, scalable modular multilevel converters for HVDC-transmission," in Proc. Power Electron. Spec. (PESC) 2008 Conf., 2008, pp. 174-179.
- U. N. Gnanarathna, A. M. Gole, and R. P. Jayasinghe, "Efficient modeling of modular multilevel HVDC converters (MMC) on elelctromagnetic transient simulation programs," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 26, no. 1, pp.316-324, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2060737
- User's Guide: Comprehensive Resource for EMTDCTransient Analysis for PSCAD Power System Simulation. Winnipeg, MB, Canada: Manitoba HVDC Res. Ctr., 2005.
- R. Marquardt, and A. Lesnicar, "A new modular voltage source inverter topology," in Proc. Euro. Conf. Power Electron. Appl. (EPE), 2003, CD-ROM.
- S. P, Teeuwsen, "Modeling the trans-bay cable project as voltage-sourced converter with modular multilevel converter design," in Proc. IEEE Power Eng. Soc. Gen. Meeting (PES), 2011 pp. 1- 8.
- U. Drofenik and J. W. Kolar, "Thermal analysis of a multi-chip Si/SiC-power module for realization of a bridge leg of a 10kW vienna rectifier," in Proc. 25th IEEE Int. Telecommuni. Energy Conf., 2003, pp. 826-833.
- A. M. Bazzi, P. T. Krein, J. W. Kimball, and K. Kepley, "IGBT and diode loss estimation under hysteresis switching," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 1044-1048, March 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2164267
- A. D. Rajapskse, A. M. Gole, and P. L. Wilson, "Electromagnetic transient simulation models for accurate representation of switching losses and thermal performance in power electronic systems," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 319-327, Jan. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2004.839726
- T. Bruckner, and S. Bernet, "Estimation and measurement of junction temperature in a threelevel voltage source converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 3-12, Jan. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.886651
- N. Mohan, T. M. Undeland, and W. P. Robbins, Power Electronics Converters, Applications and Design, Media Enhanced Third Edition ed. New York: Wiley, 2003.
- Mitsubishi Electric IGBT Modules Application Note, pp.48-49, Dec. 2007. [Online]. Available: http://www. mitsubishielectric.com/semiconductors/products/pow ermod/note/
- Operating Region of Modular Multilevel Converter for HVDC With Controlled Second-Order Harmonic Circulating Current: Elaborating P-Q Capability vol.31, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2015.2458038
- Trade-Off Strategies in Designing Capacitor Voltage Balancing Schemes for Modular Multilevel Converter HVDC vol.11, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.4.829
- Efficiency of superconducting transmission lines: An analysis with respect to the load factor and capacity rating vol.141, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2016.07.007
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)